What is Gastric Band Surgery?
The laparoscopic adjustable gastric band (LAGB) is the least invasive, permanent weight loss surgery treatment. It can usually be performed as a day-case or with an overnight stay in hospital. Most patients will be back to normal activities, including work, within a week. Streamline Surgical uses the Lap-Band; it is the best band and is the only band approved for use in the USA.
The gastric band is placed just below the oesophagus, at the top of the stomach, with a very small pouch of stomach above the band. The Lap-Band can be adjusted, by injecting saline, through an access port, buried beneath the skin of the abdominal wall. As saline is added to the gastric band, the pressure on the upper stomach increases; this increased pressure reduces appetite. When the gastric band is correctly adjusted patients become much less interested in food, with control of their appetite. This is the key to success; diets usually fail, because patients cannot sustain the intense will power needed to fight their appetite day after day, month after month when dieting. By inhibiting appetite, the gastric band allows patients to work with a diet. In addition to controlling appetite, the gastric band makes patients slow down when they eat, reducing portion size. Daily calorie intake is reduced by controlling portion size and reducing appetite, with steady weight loss following. Patients need to be prepared to work hard with the gastric band, to get the weight loss they want.
Outcomes after gastric band surgery:
Published International studies, including thousands of patients, have found that on average patients will lose about 45-50% of their excess weight.
In an audit of our results, including hundreds of patients, Streamline Surgical patients did much better, achieving an average of 65% excess weight loss. This is probably due to a combination of intense aftercare and good pre-operative advice, helping patients to choose the best weight loss surgery for themselves, based on their age, BMI, obesity related illnesses, diet and lifestyle.
A 5’5” lady who is 18 stone, 8 stone over her ideal weight, will lose about 5 stone, with a long term weight of about 13 stone.
Most ladies will reach a size 14 or 16 dress size, some ladies will reach their ideal weight, but this cannot be guaranteed.
A 5’10 man, who is 22 stone, 10 stone over his ideal weight, will lose 6 to 7 stone, with a long-term weight of 15 to 16 stone.
Who is the gastric band best for:
- Active patients
- BMI 30 to 45 kg/m2.
- Good dieters, who cannot maintain their weight loss
- Patients who are reasonably disciplined, eat large portions, but don’t graze between meals
- Determined, motivated patients, who are prepared to work hard with the LAGB and attend clinic regularly.
A gastric band is less suited for:
- Older less active patients, who struggle to lose weight.
- Patients who struggle to lose weight with moderately restrictive diets, like Slimming World or Weight Watchers, may be better suited to gastric bypass.
- Metabolic illnesses, such as diabetes and PCOS maybe better suited to gastric bypass too.
- Chocoholics and patients who cannot avoid crisps, biscuits, alcohol, sweets, ice cream. All of these ‘liquid’ foods can sabotage weight loss with the gastric band
- Gastric band surgery is the safest operation, with the lowest risk of death or complications.
- The risk of death is below 1 in 5000.
- In the longer term, the most serious complication is an LAGB slip, which can be a serious complication.
- Risk of the gastric band slipping can be reduced by adhering to good eating behaviors, such as slowing down while eating and chewing food properly.
Give us one day to change your life!* Contact us now to book a consultation with one of our experienced, specialist bariatric surgeons to see if the gastric band is right for you.
Gastric Band and Aftercare Payment Packages
Our new gastric band and aftercare payment package gives you all the benefits and the quality care of our standard gastric band package but with a more flexible payment plan. This package starts from £3950*, click here to find out more.
*Weight loss surgery results and benefits vary and are different for every individual. Results cannot be guaranteed