Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Yoga or Pilates?

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป Health & Exercise ยป Yoga or Pilates?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #30279

    Does anyone do any of these activities?

    Im considering trying one or both…but im not sure which is more beneficial to me.

    I have fibromyalgia, so I have to be careful that I dont over strain.
    I also have sciatica neuralgia -so my lower back is really sore.

    Also, does yoga or pilates help tone as well as keeping you fit and flexible?

    Im sorry Im sure I could google most of this, but I thought it was best to ask people in the same situation as me.

    Im due my operation on the 17th April 2012….so I guess 4-6weeks after is more than likely when I can start….or is yoga/pilates not seen as strenuous activity like going to the gym?

    #38157
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    I don’t do either of those – sorry. I found that swimming and light gym work helped me in the early stages, especially an exercise bike. It supports the upper body but can still be an effective cardio workout as well as toning muscle. Swimming is a brill all rounder. I have asthma so it’s perfect for me.

    i’m sure someone will come along soon to tell you how brill yoga and pilates is though ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Doodah x

    #38166
    katy
    Member

    Hello!
    I have a back injury from 16 years of nursing. I’m due to have surgery this year but I find Pilates such a brilliant class for improving core stability. I have not done any since my op 4 weeks ago but as soon as I get the all clear to exercise that is what I will be doing. I also love swimming and aqua classes all of which are fantastic low impact aerobic exercise. Pilates can also be done at home. I have a DVD but also know that you can get it for the wii fit. I’m thinking of buying kinect for my Xbox so I can get my heart rate up with some of the games (assuming my back will cope!) otherwise I have been to a few classes which are great and also fun.
    I’m not sure about yoga but my sister swears by it (the bikram version!)
    Any way I’ll stop rattling in now, goud luck with the milk diet
    Katy x

    #38161
    Deifersmum
    Participant

    Hi

    I’ve just started yoga and, having done pilates, albeit when I was much heavier I found the weight bearing a bit painful but, before my op last year hubby bought me a yoga dvd, which I’ve started doing and it’s great, I’m really enjoying it and finding it really relaxing and it helps me to cope with those times when food starts to call to me.

    Hope you find the one that suit you, good luck.

    Love
    Lesley
    xxx

    #38167

    @katy 22665 wrote:

    Hello!
    I have a back injury from 16 years of nursing. I’m due to have surgery this year but I find Pilates such a brilliant class for improving core stability. I have not done any since my op 4 weeks ago but as soon as I get the all clear to exercise that is what I will be doing. I also love swimming and aqua classes all of which are fantastic low impact aerobic exercise. Pilates can also be done at home. I have a DVD but also know that you can get it for the wii fit. I’m thinking of buying kinect for my Xbox so I can get my heart rate up with some of the games (assuming my back will cope!) otherwise I have been to a few classes which are great and also fun.
    I’m not sure about yoga but my sister swears by it (the bikram version!)
    Any way I’ll stop rattling in now, goud luck with the milk diet
    Katy x

    Hi Katy…Thanks for the reply – I dont have an xbox, but I was considering it…hmmm or wii…but then again ive got a gym membership and think getting out of my flat at least 2-3 times a week will do me good…as Im a bit Agoraphobic.

    They do yoga and pilates at my gym…so sod it, im gonna have to try both to see which is best for me, and my illnesses.

    Im also considering doing aquafit -as i saw most of the women who do it, are big girls, so I dont feel awkward going…

    You live local to me dont you? Im in Lewes….

    #38168

    @Deifersmum 22680 wrote:

    Hi

    I’ve just started yoga and, having done pilates, albeit when I was much heavier I found the weight bearing a bit painful but, before my op last year hubby bought me a yoga dvd, which I’ve started doing and it’s great, I’m really enjoying it and finding it really relaxing and it helps me to cope with those times when food starts to call to me.

    Hope you find the one that suit you, good luck.

    Love
    Lesley
    xxx

    Hi Lesley

    I considered having a look see at some of the dvd’s well on youtube first to see whats the main difference between them both….So I may give that a go.
    Im hoping it will strengthen my back up and reduce some of my stress too!….

    #38158
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    Aquafit is brilliant fun! And so easy on the joints. No suffering for 3 days afterwards ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Doodah x

    #38162
    Deifersmum
    Participant

    Hi

    I’ve done aquafit, or as we in kent callit aquacise, I would highly recommend it to all its gentle, suitable for all ages, sizes, shapes and abilities and very social, no huffing and puffing trying to get your breath back and legs working and you don’t get sweatie so a plus all round.

    Whatever you decide to do make sure you enjoy it that’s all that matters, as long as you enjoy it you’ll carry on with it. Happy exercising and let us know how you get on.

    By the way, hubby bought my yoga dvd in poundland, so it wasn’t very expensive and, considering the cost of some fitness dvd’s /videos (that shows my age!!!) it was relatively cheap for priceless benefit.

    Lots of love
    Lesley
    xx

    #38169

    I may have a go at aquafit….but ill have to wait till im recovered from my Operation….how long is it….some people say 1-2 weeks, others say 4-6 weeks?

    #38163
    Deifersmum
    Participant

    HI

    I had my op in March last year and I started aquacise in the May/June I think, it was definiltey after the clocks went forward, so it was about two/three months after my gastic bypass. I built up slowly from getting back to work full time and coping with the house and everday life really and when I started feeling that I needed to do something else that’s when I went for it, not before, I’m a great believer in listening to you body and when it’s ready to take on more it will tell you.

    Happy exercising and hope you enjoy it.

    Love
    Lesley
    xxx

    #38159
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    @Deifersmum 22742 wrote:

    HI

    I had my op in March last year and I started aquacise in the May/June I think, it was definiltey after the clocks went forward, so it was about two/three months after my gastic bypass. I built up slowly from getting back to work full time and coping with the house and everday life really and when I started feeling that I needed to do something else that’s when I went for it, not before, I’m a great believer in listening to you body and when it’s ready to take on more it will tell you.

    Happy exercising and hope you enjoy it.

    Love
    Lesley
    xxx

    I started after 2 months but only waited a bit longer as I’d had an open bypass (10cm scar) and my gallbladder removed at the same time. I just explained to the instructor that I had had stomach surgery so she didn’t think I was a total wimp haha!

    Doodah x

    #38164
    luckyflower
    Member

    The physio at the hospital recommends pilates as it helps to strengthen core and is gentle for the overweight. She was recommending it again last night at support group.

    #38156
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    It was very interesting to hear her thoughts on post op exercise, especially for the newbies. Hopefully we can pick her brains some more ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Doodah x

    #38170
    Mara
    Member

    Hi Luckyflower

    Did the physio say how long to wait after a bypass to begin pilates?

    Thanks………….Mara x

    #38165
    luckyflower
    Member

    Mara
    Can not remember now sorry
    i think after 8 weeks but you really need to check with the team on when to start exercise. .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search Forums

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media