Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Worried dirty smoker!

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » Worried dirty smoker!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Clanceychick

Hi everyone

I’m one week into my 2 weeks of milk diet and have a gastric bypass a week today (yay, couldn’t be more excited!). Everything was going tickity boo until I spoke to the nurse a moment ago.

I have put on all the forms etc. from the beginning that I’m a smoker and no-one has asked me to give up or even mentioned it. Whilst talking to the nurse this morning I asked if I could use an electronic cigarette in my room in hospital (I’m fortunate enough to go privately) and then if I’m allowed outside once I’m up and about. She then replied I thought you had given up like we asked. I said we’ve never had that conversation and she then asked me to give up this week, or at least cut down and that I will have to own up to the aneathasist that I’ve ‘not managed’ to give up!!

I replied that giving up smoking midway through the milk diet is a big ask but I will cut down. I asked her what the implications on the operation are of me still smoking and she said I’ll be coughing alot after the op.

Sorry to waffle on but I’m a bit worried about this now, has anyone else had bypass surgery as a smoker?

I know alot of you may be thinking just give up before your op, particularly non smokers, however it really isn’t as easy as that. Like anything the timing needs to be right, and milk diet, pre-op nerves and a busy socialable Easter weekend are not conducive to quitting smoking success.

Anyway, any other smokers comments would be very welcome….

Thanks
    Sarah

katy

Hi Sarah
    I had my bypass just over 4 weeks ago at st Richards. I found it impossible to give up smoking while I was on the pre op diet. When I spoke to the nurses at my pre op they suggested cutting down but understood that I would struggle giving up completely as I was giving up so many other things (food, alcohol etc)
    I didn’t smoke while I was in hospital and to be honest I really didn’t feel like it but I did have one when I got home. I am still smoking now but considerably less than I was pre op and I have got an electric cigarette primed and ready!
    There are downsides to smoking in that you do cough post op which can be uncomfortable and smoking slows healing and puts you at greater risk of ulceration in your newly formed pouch and can cause the anastomosis to break down apart from the additional risks of heart disease, cancer etc. My advice would always be to give up (I am a nurse) but being a smoker I also understand how bloody difficult it is.
    If you can really cut down before the op it would really help your recovery and reduce your anaesthesia risk but I’m sure that as long as you are honest with your anaesthetist (this is really important) I don’t think this should stop your surgery. Every hospital is different but at St Richards they were fully aware that I was still smoking and my op went ahead.
    I really hope everything goes well for you, I know how long and hard they wait is but I am a month post op and 4.5 stones lighter and doing great. It isn’t easy but the rewards are there every time you look in the mirror and see a different person looking back at you!! I already know that I WILL give up smoking this year. I have undergone surgery to lengthen my life expectancy and I am certainly not going to jeopardise this by continuing to smoke.
    I hope this is helpful, please keep us posted with your progress, everyone on here us 100% behind you
    Love
    Katy x

Doodah
    Keymaster

I know several smokers who have had wls. It’s not ideal but they have come through it ok. As an ex smoker (gave up 32 years ago) I understand that it’s a big ask but anything that helps the healing process has to be worth considering.

Doodah x

Clanceychick

Hi Katy

Thanks for your reply and I feel much less worried now, particularly as you’re a nurse. I’ve cut down since the conversation yesterday and will definately speak to the anaesthetist like you said.

Well done you on your fabulous weight loss, 4.5 stones down already!! You must feel so different!!

thanks again for your brilliant advice

love Sarah xxx

Clanceychick

Hi Doodah

Thanks for your reply. It is definitely worth considering and I actually had given up for 4 weeks up until about 2 months ago, but I developed shingles and started the evil weed again GRRRRR. I have cut down and will give up again, but now is not the right time for me with all that’s going on. Hopefully like Katy said, I won’t feel like them post op in hospital and if I don’t smoke in the couple of days I’m in then I’ll carry that on when I’m home, just can’t face3 giving up completely pre-op.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to comment

love Sarah x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Sarah

You are right to not give yourself any massive goals at this point – we are all only human right? Once you start to feel fabulously healthy when your weight drops off, you might want to give it another go. Small, steady steps win the race 😉

Doodah x

LINDY LOO

I gave up for my first op date, but just could not quit completely for the second one. have not been told if anything went wrong during the op but can honestly say after cutting down to five a day I was not adverserly affected. I did miss them post op and then withdrawing hit me.
    Lindy Loo

Doodah
    Keymaster

@LINDY LOO 22730 wrote:

I gave up for my first op date, but just could not quit completely for the second one. have not been told if anything went wrong during the op but can honestly say after cutting down to five a day I was not adverserly affected. I did miss them post op and then withdrawing hit me.
    Lindy Loo

Like Lindy says, it’s not easy so any amount you can cut down will help. I have a terribly addictive personality (obviously!) but I am also totally bloody-minded so will always try my absolute hardest to not let things beat me. I have always asked for help – it’s not something you can do alone in my humble opinion.

Doodah x

Nettie

Hi,
    I also went privately and wrote that I smoked on all my forms and even asked my consultant if he wanted me to give up, he said it would be beneficial to my overall health but not essential for my WLS, I had a band not a bypass but I’m sure that doesn’t change things, I smoked much less after my op initially as I know that smoking can effect healing times and to be honest didn’t really want one although I did go outside for one the morning after my op! Just be honest, oh and I didn’t have a cough after the aneasthetic.
    Nettie xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Honesty is always best. It helps the team provide you with the best possible care.

Doodah x

hazelann70

Get this then – I was ready in my head to give up smoking and when I had my pre-op tests, I told them I was going to give up. They told me NOT to do it!!! They said it would cause problems with the anaesthetic would you believe. So, I didn’t and it took me over a year to get into the right frame of mind where I was before. I smoked around 20-25 a day (roll ups). I gave up using Champix (got from the GP on script). IF ONLY there was a similar pill for weight loss. I call it the no willpower smoking pill. I haven’t craved, wanted or had a fag since I gave up in Jan. It’s amazing!!!

Doodah
    Keymaster

@hazelann70 22884 wrote:

Get this then – I was ready in my head to give up smoking and when I had my pre-op tests, I told them I was going to give up. They told me NOT to do it!!! They said it would cause problems with the anaesthetic would you believe. So, I didn’t and it took me over a year to get into the right frame of mind where I was before. I smoked around 20-25 a day (roll ups). I gave up using Champix (got from the GP on script). IF ONLY there was a similar pill for weight loss. I call it the no willpower smoking pill. I haven’t craved, wanted or had a fag since I gave up in Jan. It’s amazing!!!

Absolutely BRILLIANT! Well done my lovely xx

Doodah x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media