Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

when is alcohol ok

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ange89

Hi I’m on my 14 th day post op and I’m wondering if any one knows when it is ok to have alcohol? Just like a mixed drink or some sort

Nettie

I’m having my op Thursday and was wondering the same!

kathc

Me too !

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

mandyl

after the first year as far as im aware

Nettie

Year!!!!!!!! A Year!!!!!!! I’m not sure I’ll be waiting a year, is that band and bypass??

I was also told to try to hold off for a year after bypass. Bad news!

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I had my bypass in March this year and I had my first real drink about two weeks ago, it was only half a glass of bubbly and I waited until it went flat and then just sipped at it with no side affects apart from the fact that I felt really drunk lol, cheap date or what.
    Elaine x

mandyl

yep not sposed to drink in first yr of having a bypass. i think

sue wants 2 be thin
    Participant

They do recommend no alcohol for the first year, don’t interest me, got more important things to do with my time now i am no longer classed as obese.

Nettie

I’m having a band and haven’t been told or read this, I do hope it’s not a year for bandsters!

kathc

Bands may be different as I think it affects bypass patients because of the actual bypass of the intestines . So with a band guess it’s ok but still empty calories !

Katherine . X

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Doodah
    Keymaster

The reason we are asked to avoid alcohol is that it is empty calories (which will slow down your weight loss) has no nutritional value and you get drunk very, very quickly. When we are drunk, we make wrong choices sometimes 🙁 Also, there is the underlying threat of transferred addictions – from food to alcohol. I know this sounds really miserable and negative but it has to be considered I guess.

For future reference, you could be under the legal limit to drive but actually be very drunk. I’m 3 years post op and sometimes have one or two glasses of wine. However, I’m pretty squiffy on that when before I could drink anyone under the table!!

Sorry to be such a spoil sport.

Doodah x

sarahm

Im due to have my op next week, its my 30th birthday in November and i fully intend to have a drink or 2. Although i do think i might test it out before hand as i dont want to be flat on my back after one infront of everyone!!!

suthur1

I waited about 10 months and had a half of good real ale, I could not finish it and was 3 sheet to the wind. LOL
    Im now 17 months post bypass and mainly drink a couple of small glasses of japanese sake and still get drunk on it.

I never drink when im on the Bike or in driving the car.

Fenella

I saw Mr Somers on Thursday and asked this. I had my bypass nearly 9 weeks ago and am losing well. For all the above reasons he recommends caution but as I am doing well and have never been a big drinker or had a problem with it he said the odd glass or two of wine us fine. So ask your individual surgeon about this I suggest. I’ve had the odd glass and been fine ( I’ve not had more than that).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media