Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

What did you tell others?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » What did you tell others?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mara

Hi all

I’m due to have Bypass surgery with Guy Slater on the 29 June in Guildford.

As I begin to plan family arrangements whilst I’m away in hospital and need to inform work I am becoming increasingly anxious about what to tell people. I’m not secretive by nature but I’m finding it difficult to find the words to explain to friends and work colleagues why I’ve chosen to have this surgery. I don’t want to lie to anyone and I understand the sick note will simply say Abdominal Surgery. I’d like to be vague but not deceitful, but I’m starting to tie myself up in knots not knowing what to say. My closest family and two dearest friends know the truth, it’s just all the others I’m trying to find an explanation for.

What did you guys tell your friends and work colleagues?

Thank you…………….Mara x

Nettie

My medical certificate just said post operative recovery and I told work that i was having surgery of a personal nature, it wasn’t a lie but it gave the impression it was womens probs but that was just their assumption not my deceit!

Nettie xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Mara 23999 wrote:

Hi all

I’m due to have Bypass surgery with Guy Slater on the 29 June in Guildford.

As I begin to plan family arrangements whilst I’m away in hospital and need to inform work I am becoming increasingly anxious about what to tell people. I’m not secretive by nature but I’m finding it difficult to find the words to explain to friends and work colleagues why I’ve chosen to have this surgery. I don’t want to lie to anyone and I understand the sick note will simply say Abdominal Surgery. I’d like to be vague but not deceitful, but I’m starting to tie myself up in knots not knowing what to say. My closest family and two dearest friends know the truth, it’s just all the others I’m trying to find an explanation for.

What did you guys tell your friends and work colleagues?

Thank you…………….Mara x

Hi Mara

I told absolutely everybody what I was having done and why. I was of the opinion that I had NOTHING to be ashamed of and that I was merely asking for help and had been lucky enough to get it. Having said that, I believe 100% that it is ebntirely down to each individual to govern who knows about wls. It is a private, medical matter and is your business and yours alone. Simply tell people you are having stomach surgery and leave it at that. To be perfectly honest, people are rarely even that interested, except for how it will affect them (extra work whilst you are away etc!)

So, hold your head up, say you need time off to recover from surgery (no one needs to know details and if they ask they are being very rude) and stop fretting about what other people might think. It’s what YOU think that matters ;-))

Doodah x

Whitey

Hi I had my bypass last Tuesday with Guy Slater. I only told my boss the exact details and she was very supportive. I asked her to keep it to herself and just told other people I was having an op. Amazingly no one asked what the op was! If they did I was just going to say it was a stomach operation. I think men think it may be ‘womans problems’ so don’t ask. When I go back I think I will tell anyone who asks. If they don’t like it that’s their problem. I think we are all brave to do this to give ourselfs a better life. Hope your op goes well you are in good hands with Mr Slater and 6 days on I’m pleased I had my op.
    x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Good for you Whitey xx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media