Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Weight v Size

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    treeza

Hello all you lovely people. I’m so sorry I haven’t been on here for a while.

I’ve just been reading some of the posts from newbies & remembered how important this forum was to me in the beginning both pre & post op. I know I wouldn’t have got through without the support from here.

I’m nearly 18 months out & over 13 stone down. The first 10 were easy but the last 3 have been slow with a huge stall that freaked me out which brings me to the title of this post. Weight v Size.

At the start of my WL journey all I wanted was to get down to size 16/18. I did have a weight in my mind to & guessed they’d marry up. I started in size 30+ clothes & couldn’t/wouldn’t wear trousers goodness only know what size they’d have been.

Well I haven’t got down to my weight goal but I’m now in size 16 top & bottom. Eeek how excited am I!! I could possibly be 14 top but to scared to try?!

So although I’m not half my weight I’m now half my starting size. It’s hard but please try not to let the numbers on the scales concern you too much like it did me as you can bet your bottom dollar you’re still shrinking.

I wish you all no matter where you are on your journey all the very best x stay strong, have faith in your team, your surgery but most of all YOURSELF. you can & will succeed.

I promise to visit the forum more often to see how your all getting on x take care & as the lovely Doodah always says be kind to yourself.

Love & hugs

Teresa x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@treeza 33037 wrote:

I’ve just been reading some of the posts from newbies & remembered how important this forum was to me in the beginning both pre & post op. I know I wouldn’t have got through without the support from here.

I’m nearly 18 months out & over 13 stone down. The first 10 were easy but the last 3 have been slow with a huge stall that freaked me out which brings me to the title of this post. Weight v Size.

At the start of my WL journey all I wanted was to get down to size 16/18. I did have a weight in my mind to & guessed they’d marry up. I started in size 30+ clothes & couldn’t/wouldn’t wear trousers goodness only know what size they’d have been.

Well I haven’t got down to my weight goal but I’m now in size 16 top & bottom. Eeek how excited am I!! I could possibly be 14 top but to scared to try?!

So although I’m not half my weight I’m now half my starting size. It’s hard but please try not to let the numbers on the scales concern you too much like it did me as you can bet your bottom dollar you’re still shrinking.

I wish you all no matter where you are on your journey all the very best x stay strong, have faith in your team, your surgery but most of all YOURSELF. you can & will succeed.

I promise to visit the forum more often to see how your all getting on x take care & as the lovely Doodah always says be kind to yourself.

Love & hugs

Teresa x

Fantastic post Teresa – thank you so much for it.

You are absolutely right that size and weight do not always marry up. And spot on regarding the number on the scales. I stopped worrying about it years ago when I realised that, although I wanted to be a size 12 in everything, without plastic surgery, It was never going to happen. So, I’m a 12 in some things but 14 in almost everything. Not exactly a tragedy for a woman of my age lol!

You have been a huge source of support on this forum and in the support group – now THAT cannot be measured on the scales!!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Thanks for that post, I get what you mean.

When I approached wls, I picked a target weight for myself that would give me a bmi of 24.2. It was explained to me by the team that I may not achieve this but as my bmi was 45 pre surgery, the numbers were a bit meaningless. Like you Treeza, my first 8 stones were a breeze. The last stone I lost was hard fought for and I still have one to go.

So my current bmi is 26.2, most of my clothes are a 14 and some are a 12. Although I’m hopeful the last stone will come off, if it doesn’t, hey-ho. I am healthy and active, I look good and I feel AMAZING.

I am determined that the joy I have in my new life will never leave me. I think that if I start taking my wls for granted, complacency will creep in. I need to stay grateful so I stay sharp and focussed.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 33046 wrote:

Thanks for that post, I get what you mean.

When I approached wls, I picked a target weight for myself that would give me a bmi of 24.2. It was explained to me by the team that I may not achieve this but as my bmi was 45 pre surgery, the numbers were a bit meaningless. Like you Treeza, my first 8 stones were a breeze. The last stone I lost was hard fought for and I still have one to go.

So my current bmi is 26.2, most of my clothes are a 14 and some are a 12. Although I’m hopeful the last stone will come off, if it doesn’t, hey-ho. I am healthy and active, I look good and I feel AMAZING.

I am determined that the joy I have in my new life will never leave me. I think that if I start taking my wls for granted, complacency will creep in. I need to stay grateful so I stay sharp and focussed.

Chris x

I couldn’t agree more Chris. We must never take our wls for granted – what a gift it is.

Also, if you aim for the unobtainable, that could seep the joy out of life too. Shaw Somers said to me ‘What could you do with a BMI of 25 that you can’t do with one of 26?’ Sums it up perfectly doesn’t it?

I always tell myself, to be grateful for the extra life I have been given. I’m alive – no better goal than that for me!

Doodah x

Lelly

@treeza 33037 wrote:

Love & hugs

Teresa x

You have achieved so much, all of you and you must be so proud of yourselves and the people who have helped you get to where you are. I was shown a piece of paper, yesterday, with outlines of body shapes on it. I was told that my weight/shape was off the page :O) but out of the ones there, which one would I like to be. I chose the one in the middle..ish, I was then asked what weight I would like to be, I said 14-15 stone would be fine. I was then told that is where I will probably be at the end of my journey, stones matter, pounds don’t – I will be elated to be normal podgy person

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Lelly 33067 wrote:

You have achieved so much, all of you and you must be so proud of yourselves and the people who have helped you get to where you are. I was shown a piece of paper, yesterday, with outlines of body shapes on it. I was told that my weight/shape was off the page :O) but out of the ones there, which one would I like to be. I chose the one in the middle..ish, I was then asked what weight I would like to be, I said 14-15 stone would be fine. I was then told that is where I will probably be at the end of my journey, stones matter, pounds don’t – I will be elated to be normal podgy person

At 5′ 3″ and 11 st (give or take a few pounds) I’m still overweight – by a tiny bit.

WHO CARES! I can do more than I could when I was super-morbidly obese with a BMI of 64! And I’m not staring death in the face anymore! You are absolutely right to choose an obtainable goal, Lelly. But I bet my last brew that once you get there, you will re think it and aim for more. Most people do. But a reasonable goal is absolutely the best one to have.

Doodah x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media