Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Weight gain

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Hazel.

I think you hit the nail right on the head there with your comment about food thoughts surfacing in the evening when we have finished for the day. I took up….knitting! I can only cast on and off, knit and purl so it’s been lots of scarves and bandanas but it has kept my mind occupied as well as my hands. I’m in the middle of knitting squares so I can join them up to make blankets for the animal sanctuaries and Salvation Army for the homeless. I get so into it, several of my beloved cuppas have gone cold!! I have a gym standard exercise bike in my dining room which I hop onto if I have a spare 15 mins. That really helps as I’m asthmatic. It supports my dodgy old spine and there is no stress on my joints. It’s all so individual as to what we can do to keep moving and focused. Maybe just give everything a go – the laws of probabiltiy mean you have to find something you like in the end!!

As for the peeing every 15 mins, I’d be doing that anyway at my age haha!!

Doodah x

hazelann70

There I am prattling on about my food choices aren’t that bad. I did roast yesterday and was really good and only ate about 1/3rd of it and then put it into a bowl with all the other left overs to make a pie with. I would normaly graze on it throughout the evening. However, I’ve been trying out new things to bake for the cafe. So, in a fit of “for god sake, eat it and then you will get over wanting it” I went for it last night (hoping I would react badly). A fruit scone with jam and clotted cream followed by a double choc brownie and followed that with a large coconut and almond macaroon. Not being that much into cake I surprised myself in wanting to eat them all. I ate them over the space of an hour but for god sake. Did I react? Nope, not even a fart. Now I have all of that out my system, I’m on a liquid diet for a few days to try to kick start myself into losing what I’ve gained. It’s as if you deny yourself everything that’s nice and then land up binging on it to make up for what you’ve not let yourself have. I’m not really a great cake lover but there are times when my head tells me I just want it. Bit like chocolate really. I’m happy to not have any for months and months on end but if a tin gets opened then it’s bad news. Still, back on my tea and coffee run today and had soup for lunch. Trouble is, the scales never reveal the extent of the damage until 2 days after for me and so they are being kind today!

Lauren
    Keymaster

How are things today Hazel. Feel in control again yet? Whatdoes that rotten Mr Scale say?

hazelann70

Mr Scale says 10 stone 2.2lbs so could be a lot worse!! Been to the wholesalers today for the cafe so food not been in the forefront of my mind. Well, until I got to Bookers and they are doing a week of thanking everyone for their custom in 2011 and giving away free bacon sarnies. God sake!! Had to have one or it would have been rude really. Going to now go and make some butter as I picked up a load of reduced double cream as well. It works out cheaper for me to make it than it does to buy it believe it or not. I use it in flapjacks that I make for the cafe so it’s a good saving and fun to make as well.

Better go put the kettle on as I’ve not pee’d in over an hour so need topping up lmao

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hahahahahahaha!!! You are SO funny Hazel xxx

Dizzy
    Participant

you only knew how much reading this thread has helped me this morning…. i feel like ive been on a slippery slope… cant stop thinking about food again and have been watching the scales… after loosing 18 (yes i know what youre thinking) 18 stone i have now put on 16 lbs… its doing my head in !!!!!!!!! i honestly thought that the battle was over but its most definitly isnt, however after reading the replies to this thread i can see im not alone and should use this forum to help me get back on track……

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Dizzy 27533 wrote:

you only knew how much reading this thread has helped me this morning…. i feel like ive been on a slippery slope… cant stop thinking about food again and have been watching the scales… after loosing 18 (yes i know what youre thinking) 18 stone i have now put on 16 lbs… its doing my head in !!!!!!!!! i honestly thought that the battle was over but its most definitly isnt, however after reading the replies to this thread i can see im not alone and should use this forum to help me get back on track……

Hi Dizzy

Firstly, welcome back to the friendliest, most supportive place around. Secondly, CONGRATULATIONS on your magnificent achievement!!! 18 stone lost – that’s absolutely phenomenal. You must feel so much better.

I’m very, very glad that you feel comforted to realise that you are not alone. We are all here for each other and this place has become our safe haven where absolutely everyone knows just how you feel and will feel in the years to come. We are all at different stages so it’s a perfect set up for both newcomers and old timers like me!

I would bet my favourite red spangly shoes that your body is having a rest from all the hard work it has been doing. However, even if this is your regain (it does happen but is invariably proportionate to how much you have lost) you will still have lost SEVENTEEN stone. That is two small women! Or one big burly rugby player!

Please keep us up to date with how things are going and don’t beat yourself up when you think things are too hard for you. It IS hard work. You have achieved such wonderful success that you really should be patting yourself on the back each day.

Doodah x

Anonymous

Ahhh so I am not the only one… I celebrated my 3rd Operversary on Monday but wasnt a happy one as i have gained too.. almost 22lbs… SO NOT HAPPY!!! I kinda feel like i am not sure where to start at losing it again. My mom says back to basics but not sure…. grrr Yes we are told at this stage we may gain some weight but i can already feel it effecting my body and i do not like it at all.. Am back at gym so hopefully that will help. May start eating on a side plate again but just not sure… so annoying. I will keep a food diary as well and hopefully that will help. I know i am able to eat “naughty” foods again which i so wish i couldnt and i so wish i would dump just so that it kicks me in the bum & reminds me that those things are the things that made me 21st in the first place.
    well just reading this back to myself and looking down at my tummy i realise that i have achieved something but now it is time to step up a gear and really LOOK after this body – my chance now to prove that I am able to look after myself and my weight. ok i am rambling so enough now..

chat laterz

k

Lauren
    Keymaster

I think almost everyone will have a bit of re gain – it’s just how the body ‘rights’ itself. However, we are in control of how much aren’t we?

I think going back to basics is a great idea: smaller plate, soup only for a week, salads now that the nice weather should be happening (yeah right) and upping the exercise. It sounds so easy in principle – and it is if you want it enough. If you don’t mind being a bit heavier and you are healthy then there is no problem really. BUT if it does bother you or impacts on your health, remind yourself of how hard you worked in the first few years and try to get back to it….slowly.

Don’t go at it like a bull in a china shop, but with quiet determination. You are already stones and stones ahead of where you started the first time. Congratulate yourself then get going again. You guys have all already proved that you can do it so allow yourself the time and energy to do it again. You may just have stopped putting yourself first….

Doodah x

Anonymous

ok Doodah…. how do u manage to just say the right things all the time?? Thank you so much for always managing to reassure me and i imagine many others too.

You are a STAR & we all love you. Thank you again for being so supportive to us all. what would we do without you???

K

Lauren
    Keymaster

Aw, Thanks Kim. I really do care about you all. I have been there and know how hard it is. I also know that we all worked our bloomin socks off for our success. BUT – it’s an ongoing thing and probably always will be for many of us. We just have to stick together, be supportive of each other and, most importantly, be kind to ourselves. So many of us forget that part!

Losing it isn’t a race: so neither is losing the same little bit again.

I also don’t know what I would do without you guys. You have all been fantastic. Helping me when I was so down about my surgery being cancelled etc. It gave me the strength to re-evaluate things and put them in perspective.Just wonderful.

Doodah xx

Almost there

@hazelann70 21601 wrote:

It’s the worrying question I have been asking myself over the last month or so. I am concerned that I can eat far too much in one go.When I look at what I’m eating, it does appear to be more sloppy stuff e.g.shep pie and veg kind of things. Not that this has been a conscious thing though. I had some oven chips and scampi last night and struggled with eating it which gave me reassurance that the bypass is still working with therestriction but only for more solid foods. I can eat a reasonable size roast dinner now but again, when I analyse what I’m doing, I’m mashing it all up inthe gravy and downing it and so can eat more each time. NOT GOOD. I do skip breakfast as often as I can as this seems to set me off grazing for the day. I know it’s not ideal but it works for me to reduce the overall daily calorie intake otherwise I’d be gaining more weight than I am now. I find there is hardly anything I can’t eat (just over a year post op btw) although the occasional thing does catch me out! Like half a bag of sugar free humbugs theother day (roughly 8 of them and they are small). It must have been the sugar replacement as I was on the pan all evening. Strangely enough I was grinning most of the evening in the thought that there is still something that I can’teat to excess. Real porridge is another one that for some reason doesn’t like me. I actually had breakfast yesterday and I felt so hot afterwards I thought Iwas going to spontaneously combust. That passed after about an hour and again,no bed effects. It can be quite depressing at times to see the weight go onslowly and one wonders how to get our heads into eating the foods we know we struggle with i.e. won’t go down so well rather than give side effects. I knowif I wrap something in bread it will go down easier yet other people can’t touch the stuff. We are all so different aren’t we? If only I wasn’t such alazy cow and could find the motivation to get off my arse and exercise then perhaps that would help. I’ve cracked the weight issue (for now) (with a tool) andgiven up smoking (with a tool – Champix) yet there’s no tools out there to give you motivation for exercise is there! I’m seeing Mr Adamo this month and so will discuss with him my problems. Not that he can do much though. Shame they can’t tighten the pouch like they can with a band! Or can they? lol

Yes actually they CAN re tighten the pouch it’s rarely done n& never on national health unless RNY bypass can be proven to have totally failed from beginning- it’s called the ROSE procedure!costs approx £8 or £9 k depending on surgeon and bariatric centre used

Lauren
    Keymaster

I think it’s more important to try to understand why you are gaining. rather than just ‘fix’ it again or it will just keep happening with some people.

I had three years of therapy before my bypass and it was the second best thing I have ever done for myself after wls. I learned why I got to 26st in the first place and understood how to avoid ever getting there again. I changed ME – the way I think, feel and react to things. I allowed ME to put myself first just for once. I know it’s the reason I have never had any permanent regain (I’m menopausal so can fluctuate by 4-7 lbs in a month!!)

I asked for psychological help via my GP and got it. I had to wait but it was worth it. Maybe this is something you might want to consider? I’m not saying you should do it – I would never dream of telling anyone what they should do i’m merely saying what worked for me.

Would love to hear how you are getting on 😉

Doodah x

hmb74

Hey,

Been AWOL for a while. It is 15 mths since my op. I had my last appointment at St Richard’s on April 23 and managed to stay still for two whole months. Didn’t lose, didn’t gain. Month 3? Gained 7 lbs. Not impressed. Ok, so it’s not much in the grand scheme of things. I’m still 9 st 3 lbs less than when I had the pre-op appointment. It 7 lbs more than is comfortable though.

Current weight = 20 st on the nose.

Yeah, I know why it happened:

* I reached a weight that I had been trying to achieve for YEARS (20st) and, just like a typical addict, started thinking “Oh, great. I’ve got there. I don’t need to work so hard any more.” – er, yeah you do! Remove head from sand and stop imitating ostrich …

* There’s been a lot of emotional family upheaval over the past few months – the death of my paternal grandfather. No, this isn’t bad news. He was a nasty piece of work who got his kicks from doing things to kids that he had no right to do (including me between the ages of 8-12, my aunts, my uncle, my dad, my grandmother …). What is bad news is that the older generation still have their heads stuck well and truly in the past. There have been revelations that I can’t go into here, reminders, questions, people raking up a few hundred skip loads of CR@P … Dad and my half sister had a 3 hour conversation about that THING and what it did to those it was supposed to love, went into detail about what happened to other people. My half sister doesn’t drive. I live in Farnborough – picked her up from Basingstoke and took her to Guildford to see dad. They had this long, deep and distressing conversation with me sitting in the room, then I had to to take my half sister home again.

I’m going through high intensity counselling to try and break free from this rubbish and recent events knocked me sideways. I gave in to the emotional eating. When it was all happening I was on my own. My counsellor was on holiday. I wrote it all down and gave it to her to read.

Today I got on Mum’s scales and saw I was back upto 20 st after getting down to 19st 7 lbs and BOY, was I peeved. With me, with them, with HIM. Went out and did a food shop, came home and chucked the bread, pasta, rice, cous cous and pre-made sauces in the bin (I KNOW this stuff bloats me, so why did I start having it again???). Painstakingly wrapped meat in individual portions before freezing …

I’m on a mission – these 7 lbs are GOING, and then I start making more goals.

Right now, I need sleep.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@hmb74 29119 wrote:

Hey,

Been AWOL for a while. It is 15 mths since my op. I had my last appointment at St Richard’s on April 23 and managed to stay still for two whole months. Didn’t lose, didn’t gain. Month 3? Gained 7 lbs. Not impressed. Ok, so it’s not much in the grand scheme of things. I’m still 9 st 3 lbs less than when I had the pre-op appointment. It 7 lbs more than is comfortable though.

Current weight = 20 st on the nose.

Yeah, I know why it happened:

* I reached a weight that I had been trying to achieve for YEARS (20st) and, just like a typical addict, started thinking “Oh, great. I’ve got there. I don’t need to work so hard any more.” – er, yeah you do! Remove head from sand and stop imitating ostrich …

* There’s been a lot of emotional family upheaval over the past few months – the death of my paternal grandfather. No, this isn’t bad news. He was a nasty piece of work who got his kicks from doing things to kids that he had no right to do (including me between the ages of 8-12, my aunts, my uncle, my dad, my grandmother …). What is bad news is that the older generation still have their heads stuck well and truly in the past. There have been revelations that I can’t go into here, reminders, questions, people raking up a few hundred skip loads of CR@P … Dad and my half sister had a 3 hour conversation about that THING and what it did to those it was supposed to love, went into detail about what happened to other people. My half sister doesn’t drive. I live in Farnborough – picked her up from Basingstoke and took her to Guildford to see dad. They had this long, deep and distressing conversation with me sitting in the room, then I had to to take my half sister home again.

I’m going through high intensity counselling to try and break free from this rubbish and recent events knocked me sideways. I gave in to the emotional eating. When it was all happening I was on my own. My counsellor was on holiday. I wrote it all down and gave it to her to read.

Today I got on Mum’s scales and saw I was back upto 20 st after getting down to 19st 7 lbs and BOY, was I peeved. With me, with them, with HIM. Went out and did a food shop, came home and chucked the bread, pasta, rice, cous cous and pre-made sauces in the bin (I KNOW this stuff bloats me, so why did I start having it again???). Painstakingly wrapped meat in individual portions before freezing …

I’m on a mission – these 7 lbs are GOING, and then I start making more goals.

Right now, I need sleep.

I simply cannot thank you enough for being so utterly honest and brave in posting this here for us to see. It must have taken huge amounts of courage.

You all know that I had three years plus of therapy before I even considered having wls. I knew I had to fix ‘Me’ before I could make any sort of start on my my body. It was one of the most harrowing and painful periods of my life as I dredged up things I thought were long forgotten. I almost gave it up as it was just too hurtful. I would come home every week, be physically sick then go to bed exhausted both mentally and physically. But I kept going and it helped me to realise that I am NOT responsible for other people’s actions and reactions. It set me free to concentrate on myself and the future i deserved.

I think the high intensity counselling you are undertaking will help you more than you could ever imagine. If you need any support whilst going through it, drop me a message ok?

I would also say – at this stage, don’t get too hung up on the numbers on the scales. Emotional health brings about physical well-being and my guess is that your weight will start dropping off again as you start to feel empowered once more – just like we do after weight loss surgery.

The other thing you need? That sleep your body must be craving. We heal ourselves whilst sleeping. Ask your GP for help if it doesn’t happen. You may need some (temporary) help in that respect. Sleep deprivation is murderous towards achieving goals as it overpowers everything else. It’s why it’s why it is used as a very effective form of torture!

My heart aches for you, it really does but I see a brave and completely determined person who WILL help herself to get back the life she deserves xxx

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media