Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Weight gain

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    paulcplummer

Hi everyone ,I was on hear about a year ago as jackothechef if anyone remembers ,I lost my log in details lol
    Just wandered has anyone else put a significant amount of weight back on after bypass I’m just over two years out from bypass and have put on about 2stone and I hate it ,I’m just so devastated and fel there is just no point and all I see is a big fat person who has let everyone down.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Paul and welcome back.

Have you talked to your GP about the regain? Do you see any definite occurance that has led to it? Please don’t be so hard on yourself, we are all just human. Weight gain can happen but you should concentrate on what you have lost. You say ‘significant’ weight loss so you have been a success. Sometimes it isn’t our bodies that ‘let us down’ but our heads/minds. I believe that if you are kinder to yourself and focus on your success, you could find the right mind set to start losing again. You are a winner – you have already proved that. It’s like riding a bike – if you fall off, get back on again and keep trying. Anyone that tries, even when things aren’t going to plan, will eventually win both menatlly and physically.

Please keep in touch and let us all knopw how things are going. You already have your place on the losers bench so we will keep it warm for you.

Doodah xx

midge
    paulcplummer wrote:
    Hi everyone ,I was on hear about a year ago as jackothechef if anyone remembers ,I lost my log in details lol
    Just wandered has anyone else put a significant amount of weight back on after bypass I’m just over two years out from bypass and have put on about 2stone and I hate it ,I’m just so devastated and fel there is just no point and all I see is a big fat person who has let everyone down.

Hi Paul I know how you feel I had a band 8 years ago,I lost 8stone but have put 3 back on…..I am having my band checked under X-ray next Friday just to check it out make sure all is ok and if I need a fill, I have put the weight on thru bad food choices you learn quite quickly what you can and can’t eat , from now tho I’m making a conscious effort to get at least the 3 stone I put on off(hope that makes sense). I felt I had let everyone down but iv got over that now and have realised I need to sort this out……I’m sure you are a lovely person (most of us big people are ) chin up I’m sure you will get back on track don’t beat yourself up
    Midge

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    I am 10 months post bypass op and though I have now lost 9 stones there are some weeks that I have had a weight gain but when I look over the week I can normally see what has put on that weight, ie bad food choice or portion sizes, have you tried keeping a food diary to see what you actually are eating and when you see it all written down it might help you get back on track failing that I would advice going back to your GP to see if there is any other reason why you have put weight back on, but please don’t beat yourself up over it we are only human.
    Elaine xx

paulcplummer

Hi guys
    Thankyou for the replies
    I have been having quite a few issues with Hypnos and low blood sugars I was wandering would this cause weight gain I am back under Denise at st Richards who has told me it is normal two years post bypass you put on 10% of your loss but this is really doing my head in.
    I really want the hunger to go away like it was for the first year after surgery
    It’s bizarre some days I can barely eat and others I eat like a horse lol
    Need to get my head around it again

Pinkdancer

Hi Paul,

Yes this life choice is really just that we have to live our lives using the tool we have been given, not eay when out head just wants us to eat. Some great suggestions above. I think we all fall back into bad habits and make bad choices but that is what they are – choices and this journey is very much a mental battle to so as suggested

Keep a food diary – things can look different in black and white – be honest as you only have yourself to think about on this.
    Up your fluids – this can never be a bad thing at anytime for us all.

Go for a walk at lunchtime or when you can fit it in, or a swim or anything you enjoy. You will reep the rewards I am sure.
    It is coming up to spring plan a walk a take a nice picnic with you, pull on your hat and gloves and get some fresh air and daylight on your cheeks.

Keep posting on here for the support – you have already done the best thing possible but getting back in touch on here, so keep in touch and get on here when you feel the call to the kitchen, grab a drink and log on here. That will stop the calories settling on as you will be occupied on here, and help the newbies that are coming along.

Well done on your weight loss you have done well and this is not a race, this is the rest of your life whihc has up’s and downs so hopefully you will be on a downer ( weight wise) very soon.

Take care you loser xx

hazelann70

It’s the worrying question I have been asking myself over the last month or so. I am concerned that I can eat far too much in one go.When I look at what I’m eating, it does appear to be more sloppy stuff e.g.shep pie and veg kind of things. Not that this has been a conscious thing though. I had some oven chips and scampi last night and struggled with eating it which gave me reassurance that the bypass is still working with therestriction but only for more solid foods. I can eat a reasonable size roast dinner now but again, when I analyse what I’m doing, I’m mashing it all up inthe gravy and downing it and so can eat more each time. NOT GOOD. I do skip breakfast as often as I can as this seems to set me off grazing for the day. I know it’s not ideal but it works for me to reduce the overall daily calorie intake otherwise I’d be gaining more weight than I am now. I find there is hardly anything I can’t eat (just over a year post op btw) although the occasional thing does catch me out! Like half a bag of sugar free humbugs theother day (roughly 8 of them and they are small). It must have been the sugar replacement as I was on the pan all evening. Strangely enough I was grinning most of the evening in the thought that there is still something that I can’teat to excess. Real porridge is another one that for some reason doesn’t like me. I actually had breakfast yesterday and I felt so hot afterwards I thought Iwas going to spontaneously combust. That passed after about an hour and again,no bed effects. It can be quite depressing at times to see the weight go onslowly and one wonders how to get our heads into eating the foods we know we struggle with i.e. won’t go down so well rather than give side effects. I knowif I wrap something in bread it will go down easier yet other people can’t touch the stuff. We are all so different aren’t we? If only I wasn’t such alazy cow and could find the motivation to get off my arse and exercise then perhaps that would help. I’ve cracked the weight issue (for now) (with a tool) andgiven up smoking (with a tool – Champix) yet there’s no tools out there to give you motivation for exercise is there! I’m seeing Mr Adamo this month and so will discuss with him my problems. Not that he can do much though. Shame they can’t tighten the pouch like they can with a band! Or can they? lol

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Hazel.

Don’t be so hard on yourself! You have managed to lose loads of weight and started to tackle giving up smoking – they are both magnificent achievements!! At over 3.5 years post op, I can almost eat anything so long as I don’t eat much of it. Isn’t that what ‘normal’ people do? I only ever wanted to be normal and now I am. It takes much longer for your head to catch up with your body but it does happen. Be kind to yourself and focus on what you have achieved already. I think a positive attitude counts for an awful lot (both with wls and life in general) ‘Don’t let the bu**ers grind you down’ and all that!! Be proud of yourself and take time to bathe in your own fabulousness.

Doodah xx

hazelann70

Thanks Doodah,

The problem I have is I know if I become complacant my weight will get away with me before I have time to blink. Having gone through the whole band process and losing that and then regaining, I know how easy it is to brush off the odd pound gain. One pound turns into two and so on and so forth. I need to nip the whole thing in the bud before I am back to square one again and then with no hope. I know it sounds really negative but it’s for my own good. Yes I’m really pleased with what I’ve achieved and do love myself etc but know all too well how good things turn bad. I can eat the same amount in a dinner than I could eat pre-bypass and it was that which made me need wls hence that’s why I’m worried. Do I go for foods that aren’t really that good for me i.e. chips and scampi which slow me down or do I go for the healthy option and be able to down a huge pile? It’s a bit of a catch 22 really. Why is life so bloody complicated? lmao

paulcplummer

I know your pain I struggle with bread and potatoes and meat but all the bad things like chocolate and biscuits go down a treat I can’t eat a lot at a meal but I eat a couple of spoons but within twenty minutes I’m starving again

hazelann70

I wish I struggled with those things. That’s the problem!!! I think I must just try having dinner without gravy and see if that slows me down a bit.

ruby tuesday

HazelAnn, I am not sure what stage you are at, whether you are on sloppy foods, or further down the line and able to eat normal foods, but I was wondering whether you might be able to switch to more crunchy salad based meals, with protein, rather than a meal with gravy, so that you have to chew more? I appreciate if this is too soon for you, it won’t be possible, but it sounds like you need to change your eating to avoid going for scampi and chips which you say is harder to digest, as it is not really nutritious if cooked in batter or breadcrumbs and not the healthiest option to choose. Can you digest some nuts as snacks, to help get used to chewing more, or is that too early? Having just read your post again, I think you are really probably so hungry having skipped breakfast that it means you do need to eat more for dinner, and I see you say it sets of grazing for the day if you do eat it. I can’t take porridge, milk does not agree, so have few teaspoons of natural yoghurt, few blueberries (from frozen, so I don’t run out), and sprinkle of bran and oat based cereal. If I try anything more substantial, I too find it hard, so I keep it small, but will have a snack of couple of oat biscuits, few dried apricots, sometimes few nuts, mid-morning. I know dietry advice is that protein breakfast and lunch are important, but I guess we just have to get in what we can! xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

It’s hard isn’t it? Especially in this bitterly cold weather when we might not be out and about so much. Our hunger is all in our heads and when we are limited physically, for whatever reason, we get bored and turn to our old ‘friend’ food. I’m drinking my own body weight in tea at the moment to a) stave off the head hunger and b) to keep warm. Have to say it’s working a treat. It gives me: something to focus on, to do with my hands and makes me feel good (sounds rude doesn’t it!) Anyway, it’s only what I do…

Doodah x

hazelann70

Thanks for the post Ruby. I have scampi probably once every 2 years and really am not a chip lover as they are so dry usually (I do oven chips for the rest of the family). On their crap day (Generally a Monday as it’s mad in the evenings), I tend to go for something else as it doesn’t really float my boat. We all generally eat loads of veg each day and so I feel my food choices are generally good but as we are all only normal, the odd thing does get by. I’m not hungry in the day and know most of it’s in my head but as soon as I have dinner I tend to start to graze which is where the problem lies. If I had breakfast it would be an all day long thing generally. There are no set rules for everyone and a dietician told me if it works for me then do it (this was when I had the band). I had salmon and veg last night and it got stuck which gave me reassurance that the bypass pouch is still working. It was a nice feeling although uncomfortable to know it’s still working. It went down after a couple of hours and I ate the rest lol. I did have a chuckle when you said about having a couple of mouthfuls of yogurt though. Jesus, I eat a bowl of the stuff with a banana in the evenings and think nothing of it but again, that slips down no problem and so I could probably consume a pint of it with no problems. I think I just need to cut out the gravy and see how I go really. Today has been a bit of a sod of a day though as I’ve been at work and I have changed sausages and burgers (I run a cafe) and they just had to be tried so there’s 2 slip ups! Not to mention the trial run of eccles cakes that I baked yesterday that were a little over cooked and so I landed up giving them away and having to try one. Thankfully I only open on a Friday and a Saturday. I probably burnt the calories off in shivering though as it was 5.5C in my kitchen today!

I just wish there were more foods that I have trouble with really. I’ve never been one for salads, in fact I hate them. Well not hate them but hate preparing them. I find they are boring. I am eating more fruit now though but again, they are still calories and so being able to down a whole navel orange may be great but when you look at how many calories in them it makes you think twice.

hazelann70

Hey Doodah, you too made me chuckle when you said about the amount of tea you’re drinking. I’m the same when I’m at home and have nothing to do (which isn’t often as the cafe takes up a lot of my time in the week even though it’s not open). I will make tea or coffee for something to do but my god it makes you pee! Once I start it’s every 15 minutes so I guess just walking to the loo will burn all of 2 calories. lmao. What are we like!! Just wish motivation for exercise came in pill form although when I look at what I used to do before running the cafe and what I do now, although I say I’m self confessed lazy, I’m far more active now. Just not cardio which is what I need. More being on my feet all day long doing one thing or another so I don’t really get much time to think about eating that much which is handy. For me it’s like all the food thoughts that I don’t have during the day catch up with me after dinner when I know I’m not hungry. I obviously have too much time on my hands in the evenings!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media