Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Weight Gain!!!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jojo174

Had bypass 2 weeks ago and lost the excess fluid quite quickly (about 4 days). Then plateaued at 3kg less than my pre-op weight for about 4 days. Have moved on from pureed to mash and had no sickness. However, weighed myself this morning and have gained 1kg!!! How is this possible on the tiny amount of food and calories? Any advice gratefully received. Really hope I haven’t failed already.

Ms Ellie

@jojo174 10883 wrote:

Had bypass 2 weeks ago and lost the excess fluid quite quickly (about 4 days). Then plateaued at 3kg less than my pre-op weight for about 4 days. Have moved on from pureed to mash and had no sickness. However, weighed myself this morning and have gained 1kg!!! How is this possible on the tiny amount of food and calories? Any advice gratefully received. Really hope I haven’t failed already.

Hi there Jojo didnt want to read and run , not much advice really but havent you moved on to mush quite soon??? I thought it was after 4 weeks that you moved on to mushy foods, I may be wrong also just wondering how often are you weighing yourself???? once a week should be suffice.

jojo174

Yeah Ms Ellie you could be right. Maybe I should return to puree. Guy skipped the liquid bit in hosptial and put me straight on puree so I guess I may be trying to run before walking based on his optimism at that time. Just can’t bear the thought that I will gain weight on less food than my 7 year old eats. Thanks for the support.

medic

Don’t worry jojo, I think you should wait for your review to see your true weight. doing it at home doesn’t give you a real reflexion of how you are doing. Ms Ellie is right, if you are going to weigh yourself at home, only do it once a week, same time, same day.
    Good luck, I’m sure you will be ok!
    medic.

jojo174

Thanks be to God! After stalling for a week 2 weeks after surgery I have lost 2kg. Also got some fab advice from Fran the dietician at St Richards. I need to chill a bit and not be too impatient – not easy for a chronic control freak like me.

carolthecook

Jojo, so glad the scales are moving downwards for you! I know all about impatience and weighed myself everyday when I first came home. Big mistake because the body’s weight does fluctuate so much (and especially in the early days as it is trying to find a new level). Sounds like you have had some good advice and are taking it on board. My only bit advice is not to look at what everyone else is doing, how fast they are losing etc because we are all so different…I do feel sure though that you will get your weight-loss in time! xc

Anonymous

JoJo huney, the body will be in turmiol and not knowing what is going on. It will be fighting back saying IM STORING EVERYTHING… its quite a natural process to be a little flat a few weeks out but it will happen.
    The scales can be an addiction so my advice is hide the dreaded scales, they will do little to help the emotions…

Naturally things will happen, without much effort. Some loose lots quickly, some over time, just perservere, its not too early to be semi solids, just take your time….. and follow the rules….

Plenty of water ( weighs a lot but is naturals natural cleaning agent)

Your doing good… dont you worry none…..

Buzz xx

Harryjam

Hello there,

Just thought I would add some thoughts to the weight gain post….

Had RNYGB 06/08/10 – nearly a year ago….

Most of my weight journey has been down hill, however I do weigh myself an awful lot.

I appreciate that we should not necessarily weigh ourselves excessively, but for someone like myself – it helps me keep on top of my weight loss.

I have gained 1-2 pounds on occassion – and weighing myself and seeing this makes me review my diet/excercise. I don’t think this is a bad thing. It does make you feel sad, and frustrated to see the scales moving upwards – BUT it also makes you proactive.

There are a lot of reports through the media stating that people have had gastric bypass operations – and gained most of their weight back – but surely they would have seen this by using the scales – and doing something proactive to stop this…

As far as I am concerned – my scales will always be in my bathroom, on the same spot so I can keep an eye on my weight – I have lost 146 lbs, 10.6 stones so far – and by hook or by crook its going to stay off.

But may i also add that if the scales do show a gain – we have to accept that it’s not a crisis. It does feel like it is, but really there are lots of reasons we may gain weight.

One example is that women are known to put on some weight before mensturating. This is highly reported on, and is only temporary. However, also during mensturation – our appetite and hormone levels change – this can lead us to eating more.

So my advice is, try and watch what your eating during this time. Expect some weight gain, but check to see if it comes off after mensturation finishes. If not – work harder with your diet and exercise.

In general – male or female – we may all put on some weight, especially during stressful times – as eating and emotion is heavily connected. What we have to be aware of is that we do not go to the point of no return.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE – always be aware of your weight. I would hate to see a person who has gone through so much to lose weight – just to regain it again.

I wish good health, and healthy sustainable weight loss to all. We deserve to regain our quality of life, so lets make sure it stays that way.

Liz x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media