Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Wedding

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    scpayne76

A quick question. I’m off to a wedding tomorrow I haven’t touched a drop of alcohol since before my op in October. Do you think I could have a glass of champagne tomorrow? Are there any risks?
    Thank you.

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi love,
    I don’t want to be a killjoy but the advice is avoid alcohol for 12 months. Not only that but the sugar content could affect you and champagne is sparkling so bad for your pouch. I don’t suppose a sip to toast the happy couple would harm you though.

Enjoy the day. Have you bought a nice outfit to show off the new you?

Chris x

scpayne76

Thanks Chris. I think that’s probably best. I’m not much of a drinker anyway! I am wearing a lovely dress which I bought along with 3 others:-) such a girl.

Whitey

Hi Chris is right about the 12 month rule plus I think it is wise to be at home with someone with you the first time you try alcohol again as it can affect you very quickly. As Mr Slater told me you will become a cheap date! Hope you enjoy the wedding.

scpayne76

I didn’t touch a drop and still had a lovely time. Thank you all:-)

Kimberly
    Participant

I did have some bubbles at 6 moths when I was with my friend at a concert ( she has cancer and it was in her wish list ) I was ok but a strong word of warning small amount and I was instantly legless . I personally would avoid it and only even after a year out only drink alchol with people whom you trust to look after you . X

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Also don’t forget that for those of you that have been bypassed, alcohol now hits a part of the intestine that was never supposed to see any, so a very small amount can make you very drunk or ill, is it worth the risk finding out.

in addition to that we are all susceptible to addiction transference and you can just as easy end up swapping your food addiction to alcohol addiction.

The advice to stay away from alcohol post WLS is there for a very good reason, don’t blow it is my advice.

You don’t need to be drunk to have a good time, or you need new friends if you do :p:tape:

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 33603 wrote:

I did have some bubbles at 6 moths when I was with my friend at a concert ( she has cancer and it was in her wish list ) I was ok but a strong word of warning small amount and I was instantly legless . I personally would avoid it and only even after a year out only drink alchol with people whom you trust to look after you . X

This is such an important point to raise, Kim.

It’s one thing to be careful about drinking after wls regarding driving/operating machinery etc, but quite another to stay safe.

Alcohol hits us like a bulldozer and the effects seem to be even stronger after wls. making sure you are with people you trust when you have alcohol is the best way to stay safe – especially for women. Yes, we sober up quickly too but it still means there is a window of opportunity for any would be predator out there. Isn’t it awful that we have to think of such things.

Thank you for bringing this up, Kim 🙂

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 33607 wrote:

Hi

Also don’t forget that for those of you that have been bypassed, alcohol now hits a part of the intestine that was never supposed to see any, so a very small amount can make you very drunk or ill, is it worth the risk finding out.

in addition to that we are all susceptible to addiction transference and you can just as easy end up swapping your food addiction to alcohol addiction.

The advice to stay away from alcohol post WLS is there for a very good reason, don’t blow it is my advice.

You don’t need to be drunk to have a good time, or you need new friends if you do :p:tape:

Paul

Another superb piece of advice here, Paul. Thank you for sharing it.

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media