Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Vomiting and Nausea

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » Vomiting and Nausea

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 170 total)
  • Author
    SJ

Hi Lorraine,

I had this a lot – lasted hours each time, so tiring and draining. The frothing was horrible and quite painful. Gradually got better over time (happens only rarely now) – I think it was trying things to soon. After a bad spell, I went onto sloppies for a day or so, then tried again.

Speak to one of the nurses about it, to give you some peace of mind.

SJ

carolthecook

Never had this Lorraine so can’t help – only had a bit of discomfort once and I knew why. So many others on the forum will give you advice on this…I just happen to have come across the message first. All I can say is that this is a short stage of your new eating journey. Just remember to chew, chew and chew some more, in the early stages assist your chicken and other protein with some ‘slider’ foods like gravy, low-fat sauce etc. and hold the faith….your surgery is a fabulous tool which you will learn to assist and adapt to.
    I have been trying to get online all day today to give some advice on the next soft food stage to others and been ‘in cyber space’ – cheesed off since i wrote out so much info twice, only to see it disappear.
    It may be that you are moving on a bit too quickly for your stage…try some more filling nutritious fluids if the frothing continues to get some nutrition in your body and increase the chances of keeping the food down, although at week 8 you should be at the soft stage and moving on to food with more texture. Never be afraid to ring your dietician or bariatric team – that’s what they are there for! Carol x

Brains

Hi Lorraine
    I too have had this approx three times. I have put down to: eating too fast!!!
    It has lasted a couple of hours and eventually all came back!!
    Hope you feel better soon :kiss:

Precious

I have had it too, I think mine was down to possibly not chewing properly. I brought up the froth and a little bit of what I had eaten and then I was fine. 7 hours is a long time, I would certainly contact the team for some advice.
    Good luck hunni
    xxx

Lorraine

Thanks Guys!
    I guess it was eating too quickly going by what you have all said. It has stopped now and although it has left me exhausted I doubt I have any lasting damage. I am back for my 12 week check up at the end of Sept so I will ask the dietician about it then unless it happens again when I havent eaten too fast in which case I will be calling them to find out.
    I have to admit that it does kind of put you off eating at all! I would like to live on pureed food all the time to be honest. I felt safe with that but I realise that at 8 weeks I should be practically on to normal food.
    Thanks for the reassurance 🙂
    Regards
    Lorraine

Lorraine

Blondesafari,
    What date did you have your op?

Lorraine

blondesafari

Hi Lorraine. I had my op on the 30th June at St Richards.

Natalie

carolthecook

Hi Blondesafari, do pm me if I can help with some food ideas! Carol x

Claire

@Lorraine 7829 wrote:

Thanks Guys!
    I guess it was eating too quickly going by what you have all said. It has stopped now and although it has left me exhausted I doubt I have any lasting damage. I am back for my 12 week check up at the end of Sept so I will ask the dietician about it then unless it happens again when I havent eaten too fast in which case I will be calling them to find out.
    I have to admit that it does kind of put you off eating at all! I would like to live on pureed food all the time to be honest. I felt safe with that but I realise that at 8 weeks I should be practically on to normal food.
    Thanks for the reassurance 🙂
    Regards
    Lorraine

Glad you’re feeling better Lorraine. As SJ suggested, stick to sloppies for a day or two to allow your poor little pouch time to recover…

xxx

Phoenix

Hi Guys

Am now 3 weeks out and had 2 weeks of relative ease…however, during the last week I’ve thrown up about 3 or 4 times usually after lunch or dinner!

I just don’t know what to do but it always feels as if I have something stuck in my throat and then up it comes. To be honest, I don’t think I’m eating too much as am barely managing a couple of tablespoons still and have avoided all high sugar, high fat foods…could it be that I’m moving through too quickly??

Then again, I had a low fat fish in parsley sauce today (which I’ve had before) with some green beans so it was all very soft food – yet up it came 15 mins later!

Aside from this issue I’ve felt fine and seem to be doing quite well but now I’m getting scared of stepping outside the house and eating in case I throw up! 🙁

Any advice would be most appreciated – thank you.

Anonymous

Phoenix huney, sounds a little familiar with the fish……
    Are you not a little too early to be on the semi solids?
    Broths soups and the likes however awful are their to allow your insides to heal…..

You have to remeber your still recovering inside, the outsides appear to heal very quickly dont let that confuse you that you do not need to take care early on….
    Fish with butter boil in a bag was awful for me, I have completley gone of it…… but not fish completley so do not dispare yet….

Give yourself a few days with things that will melt in your mouth, take your time (I know silly but true)
    The fear of eating out after experiencing sickness or frothing will have you worryig but give it time.

Perhaps a phonecall to the dietician might give you a little more guidance for a few days while you stop feeling tender.. reaching with sickness does make pouch tender, just needs a little time to recover before you try again….

Make a call sweetheart, they will not want you worrying and they are of course the professionals…

Sloppies for a few days, heal and then try again……

Awwwww ( take care )

Buzz xx

Anonymous

Forgot to mention, your body would still be loaded with drugs and things for the first few weeks which in my opinion is why it seems so easy at first….. then as they fade we realise we might be trying things a tad too soon…
    It does get better…promise it does, just dont be scared.
    Worrying about it only makes it worse……

Hope you find it easier soon….. just dont be in a rush to get onto something more solid and satisfying, its better to get some nutrician in even if it is a sloppy mess……..

Buzz x

Phoenix

Thanks Buzz…I was advised to move on by my dietician and have stuck to her guidance so am really baffled on this one. Will give her a call tomorrow 🙂

Precious

Phoenix, my love, it started pretty much the same time for me, I was doing really well and then suddenly I started being regularly sick.. I thought it was because i tried to run before I could walk , there is a post about me being sick and I got some very good advice. Claire particularly made a point of saying to slow down the eating even more, to put the knife and fork down between mouthfuls and dont pick them up again until you have chew chew chewed and swallowed. Also I think it started to become a little psychological with me, because i felt the same, like it was kinda stuck, but as soon as i was sick i felt fine, being sick was easy so i went ahead and was sick!!! So ….. what I done was, what Claire said with the knife and fork, she also advised me to take deep breaths and breath through it. I also massaged my chest area (sounds saucy lol) whilst breathing through it. In through ya nose, out through ya mouth!! it worked for me in the end. I do sympathise because I too was doing so well, but it does improve and now I eat anything!!! LITERALLY!!!
    I promise it will get easier. I got to be honest, when I spoke to the dietician she wasnt really concerned and didnt really help! I got more help from on here at the forum.

much love xx precious xx

Precious

THIS IS THE POST FROM CLAIRE BELOW – sure did help me out, and I was 3 weeks post op as well when it started!!!! xx

Hey there Precious

Sorry you’re struggling hun. As you know I’ve got a band, so different op, but what I find is that if I eat just even a mouthful too much my entire meal makes a re-appearance. Here are some things to think about….

•Try rrreeeaaallllllyyy slowing it down, knife and fork down between each mouthful and don’t even pick them up again until you’ve swallowed your mouthful.
    •Have a think about the things you are eating, do you think you are maybe trying to be a bit too adventurous too soon? Stick to things you know are ok for you for a good few days and introduce 1 new thing at a time.
    •Are you sticking to sloppies for at least 24 hours after being sick – little pouchie will be sore and swollen if you’ve been sick and won’t like it if you aren’t gentle with him.
    •Try to avoid distractions whilst you are eating – don’t watch tv, try not to hold conversations, just concentrate on your food – enjoy the flavours and make like a train
    •Really listen out for that satisfied feeling and stop as soon as you feel it – it’s very difficult to feel at first but once you are used to it, it gets easier… it’s different for everyone, some people say their nose starts to run if they are over full
    •Try to eat at the table so you are sitting up straight, slouching stops the food going down properly and we sometimes miss the satisfied feeling.
    •Try to keep busy for a while after eating if you can, or at least sit up straight without slouching for an hour after food… for me if I slouch after I’ve eaten, it seems to squash food back up

Failing all of these my lovely, get in touch with the team to get checked out… remember take it slow, you will get there

xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 170 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media