Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Vitamins and Minerals: FAQ

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Health & Exercise » Vitamins and Minerals: FAQ

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Kaz

Do I buy some multivitamins for after my bypass?, if so which ones?.
    I am on benifits so can I get them from docters? and what do I ask for. lol xx

Toni Russo

Any good quality vitamin such as Sanatogen A-Z or Forceval (with additional calcium) can be obtained on prescription. Get your bloods monitored as you may need B12 injections after gastric bypass.

Reens

Toni – please can you let me know what chewable multi vit is available as I am having the bypass on the 8th march and have been looking online and no joy unless I buy from the usa – Thank you

petal

had a bit of a wobble yesterday, I am pre op (operation on 2nd Sept) someone mentioned to me yesterday that their friend was so iron deficient after having a bypass they were going to have to spend the day in hospital being given iron. This has been one of my fears, not being able to absorb vitamins. Have many of you had blood tests after a year and been fine?xx

SJ

I am not that far out yet, but do know of other people who have had iron deficiency as a result of their bypass – another common deficiency is B12. However, from what I have seen over the past few years relatively few people need iron infusions. The key is in having regular bloods (yearly for most people) and keeping an eye on your health – if you feel a drop in vitality etc, then get yourself checked out. It is a possibility that you will have deficiencies, but I would not say it is likely. You need to weigh up all the pros and cons, and of the people I know who have needed iron infusions – none of them regret their surgeries. The malabsortive side of the RNY is not usually huge, bigger ops like the DS etc carry a far greater risk of deficiences.

Always remember to take your supplements post op as well, again not a guarantee, but a big help!

Maybe speak to your surgeon about it if you are worried…

Pre-op wobbles are pretty common, and you are wise to think these things through before your op and it is major life changing surgery.

Good luck,

SJ

Brains

Hi Petal

It only becomes an issue if you do not take your vitamins after surgery. The best advice is to follow what your consultant says. If feeling poorly always get your GP to check your bloods levels. Most will and not refuse.
    Take care :kiss:

shells

Hi dont know if anyone can answer a couple of questions for me……will i need to take liquid vitamins after bypass?if so which ones and where can i get them?also this may sound silly but is there a reccommended skin lotion or somthing that will help skin after bypass?not explaining myself very well am i lol. i want to encourage some of my skin to stay springy so i dnt have more excess skin than need be.am i kidding myself that i can do somthing to help?im told because im young(37 not that young lol) and have good skin and its still springy it may not be that bad.what are you lot saying…after all your the experts! x

mandyl

hi shells
    i take santagen a to z. tablets though.
    i have horrible tum bit but for other areas i found that the cycling has helped. im 38

batesy

Hi Shells,

Can’t help with liquid vitamin etc as I am on Centrum Advanced tabs which i break into 4 pieces. But for your skin I use bio oil. It’s recommended for putting on scars, stretch marks, uneven skin etc. It’s brilliant as it soaks in so easily. Hope this helps.
    All the best, Batesy.x

shells

yeah i had wondered about that!great thanks i shall buy some! x

carolthecook

I had chewable vitamins to start with after my op which were very easy to digest rather than hard tablets. I have also tried every lotion and potion in the chemist including bio oil. All help a little to lubricate the skin but do not get rid of flabby skin. Skin with tighten up a bit with exercise but not to the extent most of us would like. At least you have youth on your side so you should fare better than average. My only tip is not to spend a fortune on these, a good standard nourishing body lotion is just as good as a very expensive designer-label one. Oh yes, and eat well too, give your body the best nourishment possible – imagine you’re looking after a Ferrari and it needs great petrol, oil, water etc to look good and perform well! C x

shells

thanks carol thats good advice.would be easy to start a hunt for a miracle skin moisturiser i guess post op but im thinking maybe i will just use same champneys moisturiser i use now!and maybe try bio oil on my tummy as i imagine that is where im gonna suffer most!chewable vitamins good idea can you tell me which ones i need to buy please that cover all vitamins and minerals im meant to have?then that will be another thing off my to do list! x

Brains

Hi Shells
    I too used chewable ones but had to buy from USA. I brought enough for 1st 6 months just in case!!
    They are specifically for biatric patients and contain everything that is needed.
    If you want details personal message me. Or search the forum as has been on before and lots of people
    commented on a variety of ones. xx

shells

thanks brains,searched and found the thread.went to bariatric choice website but still so many chewable vits to choose from!!!do i need calcium as well? which are best? x

Renn

Hi all
    Just a reminder that your GP will prescribe FORCEVAL- if you are on free prescriptions-as I am being 61. They are excellent to take and I’m really happy with them. Thought it may save someone some cash. Reminder-I hope we all know we have to take them for rest of our lives after a bypass.
    Bye for now have a great week guys and gals.
    Renn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media