Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Vitamins – part 2

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Health & Exercise » Vitamins – part 2

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Boo22
    Participant

Hi everyone
    I have a couple of queries that I wonder if you may help me with on the lead up to my bypass on 25/11.
    I have been reading a fair bit about vitamins that we all need to take post bypass and have heard that forceval is a good one so have got some on prescription from my GP as it will work out cheaper. Now I have read on some sites that everything you take needs to be in liquid form…is that right? What do others use and how do you take it? Also do you take calcium in addition to this?
    On a different note…some sites say a catheter is fitted during surgery that may be left in for a while to enable you to pee…was this your experience? I wasn’t expecting that!!
    Many thanks!
    Boo xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Boo22 34700 wrote:

Hi everyone
    I have a couple of queries that I wonder if you may help me with on the lead up to my bypass on 25/11.
    I have been reading a fair bit about vitamins that we all need to take post bypass and have heard that forceval is a good one so have got some on prescription from my GP as it will work out cheaper. Now I have read on some sites that everything you take needs to be in liquid form…is that right? What do others use and how do you take it? Also do you take calcium in addition to this?
    On a different note…some sites say a catheter is fitted during surgery that may be left in for a while to enable you to pee…was this your experience? I wasn’t expecting that!!
    Many thanks!
    Boo xx

Hi Boo. I think almost any medication comes in tablet form, however, it can cost more for some so GPs are reluctant to do it. I have been taking Sanatogen Gold for 7.5 years and have had no trouble whatsoever. The extra vitamins I take in addition are Vit D and Calcium (I’m a woman of a certain age and need to take care of my bones!) Vit D as I only get my skin out if the temp is about 25C.

I had a catheter in but I had a full open incision bypass with my gall bladder out at the same time. I suspect another of our lovely up-to-date people on here can help you more with that.

Hope this is helpful. Not long now – WOO HOO!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi,

I take Centrum A-z plus an extra calcium and an iron supplements. I’ve built up to that amount with the advice of the dietitian over 18 months. I think in the first few weeks I was recommended to use a chewable multi-vit (like for kids) but check with your team what they suggest

Chris x

bikerchris
    Participant

Oh, and I didn’t have a catheter in when I came round from the anaesthetic

Boo22
    Participant

Thanks ladies…helpful as always! On the countdown now and day four of no carb diet. Got my letter today telling me what time to be at hospital on 27th and my pre-op assessment on Wednesday. Nearly there 😮

Boo22
    Participant

BIG like to this one…don’t fancy a catheter! x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Catheters are the devil’s joke on humanity! I hated mine and felt so much better when they removed it. I also had an NG tube which I hated even more. I gagged every time I tried to speak.

My goodness things have moved on! Thank heaven!!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Only had one experience of a catheter, when I was in labour. Midwife insisted I have a pee before I delivered but I couldn’t so a catheter was the answer. I was 28 hours in at this point and past caring!

Kimberly
    Participant

I been having problems with my Warfin it keeps going up and down so fast . Last week I was admitted for five days as I was at risk of throwing blood clots . Well I keep saying to medic and Warfin nurse I do have a gastric bypass . Any way we looked on the forceval px and recommended by the team dietitian . And it’s really surprising it does not contain vitamin K essential for clotting . But dodah santogen gold does . They are going to re refer back to the dietitian as I am now two years post gastric bypass and have been discharged from the team . I have to say I was surprised that the forceval doesn’t have vit k in , I just assumed it did .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 34711 wrote:

I been having problems with my Warfin it keeps going up and down so fast . Last week I was admitted for five days as I was at risk of throwing blood clots . Well I keep saying to medic and Warfin nurse I do have a gastric bypass . Any way we looked on the forceval px and recommended by the team dietitian . And it’s really surprising it does not contain vitamin K essential for clotting . But dodah santogen gold does . They are going to re refer back to the dietitian as I am now two years post gastric bypass and have been discharged from the team . I have to say I was surprised that the forceval doesn’t have vit k in , I just assumed it did .

I have had vit K problems in the past. My immediate family have a condition called Hughes Syndrome:
    Antiphospholipid syndrome – NHS Choices

My Sister and I had terrible pregnancies as we didn’t know we had it. In a million to one chance, both my Mum and Dad had it so we both inherited it.

What I am trying to say is, try to make sure that you get regular blood tests and take a multi vit and mineral supplement that has everything you need in it. My GP put me on Sanatogen Gold right from the start. I also take extra Vit D and Calcium. My bloods rarely come bad with anything flagged up.

We all have to learn to ensure that our care is right for us. Everyone is different. Just because Forceval is the most popular, doesn’t make it the best, so make sure you review it every so often as your needs will change as you get older.

Kim, you have been an absolute bloomin star, my lamb. Your body may be tiny but your spirit in enormous.

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media