Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

ulcers after bypass

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » ulcers after bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ruby tuesday

Just sort of wondering, there is an increased risk of ulcers after a bypass. These could occur in a few places, but say they were in the stomach – the treatment would be a capsule which obviously would normally end up in the stomach but now would go into the pouch, not the original stomach at all. So, how would an ulcer in the stomach benefit from the medication, because I can’t see that it would! Random thought, but if any clever people know the answer, I would love to know!

Fenella

I don’t know the answer but I’m surprised as Mr Somers told me that the bypass RNY op is very very similar to routine surgery FOR stomach ulcers that had been done for 100 years so it seems odd. I guess that’s why we take stomach liners then though I was on them already as I take some pretty toxic drugs.

Anonymous

LOL… not clever but here goes….

The gastric capsules I am now on I believe work into the bloodstream and will find their way to our secluded stomach.
    They are supposed to cure ulcers and all osrts of other complications when taken for about two weeks..

Its not necesarily true just because the tablet does not get into the stomach you wont find a cure… Liqiuids like gaviscon and the likes will be different because of what they are.

Failing that, I have just had an IV at A&E of the same thing and antibiotics to fight an infection…. and have managed to come home in some comfort…….

Some people are actually quite familiar with bariatric surgery in A& E, where as your GP might not be….

If your still signed on with your surgical team and having problems let them know as soon as you can.
    Otherwise, I think you might find a lot of old niggling conditions seem to fade away . fingers crossed….

Good luck

Buzz xx

Anonymous

Its by far harder controling the gas in the stomach than any ulcers….lol….

The recent thunder has nothing on me……

Always check and explain to the surgical team if you are having any issues, old or new ITS IMPORTANT. 😉

tinkly_roars

@Fenella 17169 wrote:

I don’t know the answer but I’m surprised as Mr Somers told me that the bypass RNY op is very very similar to routine surgery FOR stomach ulcers that had been done for 100 years so it seems odd. I guess that’s why we take stomach liners then though I was on them already as I take some pretty toxic drugs.

Hi Fenella

What stomach liners are you taking? – I’m 6 weeks post op and have just finished taking the 6 weeks course of anti-inflammatory tablets. I’m now only taking my vitamin supplements and nothing else. Your post has made me think whether i should routinely be taking anything else!

Fenella

I wouldn’t worry I’m unusual as I have a chronic auto immune form of arthritis – my immune system attacks my joints so am on all sorts. Why were you on anti-inflammatories for 6 weeks? Because of the drugs I take which can irritate the stomach I’ve been on omeprazole for a few years but since bypass have been switched to the chewable ones but whereas everyone takes them for a few weeks I will be on them permanently. I’m sure most people only take a multi vitamin/mineral supplement and calcium, don’t worry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media