Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

two years on.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31271
    miss missy
    Member

    Hello everybody.havnt been on here for soooo long but i’m coming up to my 2 year anniversary so thought i would have a peek.Read a couple of things that i so associate with.the weight gain topic is very interesting.i have now put on 2 stone of my weight loss.after a year i lost nearly 10 st taking me down to 9st 4lbs,which ive gotta say was way too thin for me.i did look a bit ill.exactly a year ago i was 9 10 which i think was perfect for me.i gave up smoking in june and almost immediatly put on half stone.then i started smoking again and never got that half stone off.then i again gave up smoking in early jan and have put on another half stone,which today makes me 10 12.i’m so dissapointed with this as i dont want to put on any more but i have to stay off the cigs.I am unlucky(i say unlucky because i think i am)to be able to eat anything.and i can eat quite a lot toBut my main problem is my sweet tooth.it is back with a vengence.before i had my op i truly believed that i needed sweet stuff because my body obviously needed it.Then for a year after my op not one single sweet thing passed my lips cos i was too scared to have a reaction.Then a year ago i had my first taste of chocolate and that was it.i eat chocs,sweets,cakes,biscuits
    .nd all puddings.my brain again now tells me that my body needs it even i know thats rubbish as i didnt give it a 2nd thought for a year and never even missed it.Its true this is a tool cos even though i can eat quite a lot i do still have restriction.i joined slimming world on wednesday,only to try and get some structure back into my life eating wise as i feel i’m spiralling out of control again.REALLY dont want to do that cos being slim is truly the BEST feeling in the world.Also does any body else suffer with the most disgusting wind?I cant win.if i eat healthy i get it and if i eat crappily i get it,xxxxx

    #49303
    Ganny
    Participant

    Hi Miss Missy,
    I am coming up to my two year anniversary and I have lost 11stones now. I am struggling now to lose any more and my weight does go up and down by a pound or two nearly every week. I am back under St Richards again at the moment as I have been having really bad sweats, terrific bad headaches and dizziness and they have discovered I have a problem with my insulin levels going out of control when I eat any type of food. I am now waiting to get an appointment with my local hospital with the dietician where I have to be advised about a low carbohydrate,low glycaemic idex diet and though I am a member of Weight Watchers (I am a helper there) and have been before my op and since my op ( I am someone that needs to be weighed weekly to keep control of my weight), as I said I am struggling to lose anymore I am hoping my new diet will kick start the weight lose again as I would ideally like to lose about another stone and a half.I to had found that I could eat everything again without a reaction until this problem started and it was a constant battle and that is where I found WW helped me stay focused, so good luck with Slimming World.
    I to suffer from the most awlful smelling wind no matter what I eat, I think a lot of people who have surgery like us do, just goes hand in hand with it.
    Good luck at Slimming World and I do hope you manage to lose the weight that you gained through packing it up smoking.
    Elaine xx

    #49304
    miss missy
    Member

    Hi there.So sorry to hear you’re having problems.it sounds awful but hopefully they can get it all sorted out.its good that you manage to control your weight to within a few lbs.I know exactly why i’ve put on weight.if i was just eating normally i would be fine cos restriction is very good but its def all the naughty things that i can eat.I was always greedy and unfortunatly still am.the slimming world is going good tho although its early days.i know for a fact that i’ll never be able to lay off the sweet stuff forever.i remember we had our ops around the same time.where has this 2 years gone!!!!i cant beleive it.good luck with everything.much love.xxxx

    #49298
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @miss missy 27852 wrote:

    Hello everybody.havnt been on here for soooo long but i’m coming up to my 2 year anniversary so thought i would have a peek.Read a couple of things that i so associate with.the weight gain topic is very interesting.i have now put on 2 stone of my weight loss.after a year i lost nearly 10 st taking me down to 9st 4lbs,which ive gotta say was way too thin for me.i did look a bit ill.exactly a year ago i was 9 10 which i think was perfect for me.i gave up smoking in june and almost immediatly put on half stone.then i started smoking again and never got that half stone off.then i again gave up smoking in early jan and have put on another half stone,which today makes me 10 12.i’m so dissapointed with this as i dont want to put on any more but i have to stay off the cigs.I am unlucky(i say unlucky because i think i am)to be able to eat anything.and i can eat quite a lot toBut my main problem is my sweet tooth.it is back with a vengence.before i had my op i truly believed that i needed sweet stuff because my body obviously needed it.Then for a year after my op not one single sweet thing passed my lips cos i was too scared to have a reaction.Then a year ago i had my first taste of chocolate and that was it.i eat chocs,sweets,cakes,biscuits
    .nd all puddings.my brain again now tells me that my body needs it even i know thats rubbish as i didnt give it a 2nd thought for a year and never even missed it.Its true this is a tool cos even though i can eat quite a lot i do still have restriction.i joined slimming world on wednesday,only to try and get some structure back into my life eating wise as i feel i’m spiralling out of control again.REALLY dont want to do that cos being slim is truly the BEST feeling in the world.Also does any body else suffer with the most disgusting wind?I cant win.if i eat healthy i get it and if i eat crappily i get it,xxxxx

    Hi again Missy

    The wind thing is just something we have to learn to live with I’m afraid :-@

    In your other thread you talk about going out drinking. It is so high in calories and will also weaken your resolve so that would be MY first thing to address (I would never dream of telling anyone what they should do.)

    I have a terrible sweet tooth too and can eat almost anything except rice and meat.Therefore I am in exactly the same boat as you really. It’s hard, hard work to stay focused and anyone who thinks wls is the easy option should ruddy well try it! I think it’s great that you are attending meetings as that proves to yourself that you want to get back the control you had before. Giving up smoking is hard too. I gave up 30 years ago and thank goodness I did as I now have really bad asthma!

    We are all here for you and will always be on your side. Absolutely NO judgement here whatsoever – I promise you that. We ALL understand totally.

    Doodah x

    #49305
    miss missy
    Member

    The wind thing is really bad.I am single and quite happy to be so thank god.cos if i did want a man it would be impossible cos it is just too embarrassing.The alcohol is not a problem.Its just me letting my hair down after years of stopping in.love my nights out now.I wish more than anything that i couldnt eat sweet things as it is a very bad problem for me.There dosnt seem to be many people posting on here like there used to be,xx

    #49299
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @miss missy 27929 wrote:

    The wind thing is really bad.I am single and quite happy to be so thank god.cos if i did want a man it would be impossible cos it is just too embarrassing.The alcohol is not a problem.Its just me letting my hair down after years of stopping in.love my nights out now.I wish more than anything that i couldnt eat sweet things as it is a very bad problem for me.There dosnt seem to be many people posting on here like there used to be,xx

    Hi Missy

    You know why there are not so many people on here at the moment? Because they are so busy off out living their new, happier healthier lives! And that’s just how we like it. It goes in waves and as I am a daily poster on here, I see it happening. It’s one of the things i love the most about my job – I see people from the beginning right through to them posting about their new job/child/partner etc… What could be better than that. And what could be a better thank you to the surgeons than going off and leading a normal healthy life again?

    As for the wind, you need to find a man who isn’t bothered by it at all. You would be surprised how many are not! My husband finds mine hilarious lol! It gives them licence to not care about it either 😀 Have you tried charcoal tablets for it. they really work.

    Boots Wind relief tablets – 36 tablets – Boots

    Doodah x

    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Lauren.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 4 months ago by clare.williams.
    #49306
    miss missy
    Member

    you’re quite right about us out enjoying ourselves.I myself havnt been on here for yonks.thankyou for the tip about the charcoal.Will def get some next time am in Boots.its a massive problem for me.I’m not ttoo bad dduring the day,its the evenings.My kids go mad at me as it really is unpleasant.xx

    #49300
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    Shame you don’t have a couple of dogs like I do – I always blame them if it’s a particularly ‘nasty’ one haha!

    Doodah x

    #49307
    ruby tuesday
    Member

    I too crave sweet things, and although I can only tolerate a little sugar, do feel my blood sugar levels rocket up and down if I have any, causing shaking and recently a panic attack. I try to keep the sweet things to just a little fruit, but do have a frappacino or sugar-free caramel latte for a treat, can’t eat cake at all, and only a couple of ginger biscuits, which are my main weakness. As Doodah says, I have to weigh myself daily, force myself to excercise, and really work at controlling what I eat, my main thing is having gone from two biscuits daily, to two per cup of tea – which does put a few pounds on. I do eat healthily, plenty of protein and veg etc, still small portions, but it is so true that the op does not solve all our problems, and has to be really worked at for life!

    #49301
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    I know to my own cost that our problems NEVER leave us. I think we just get better at keeping them at bay after wls.

    I will be posting next week about a terrible experience I had with a Consultant a few weeks that put me back five years and made me turn to food for the first time since my bypass. I have resolved it with the help of my friends, support group and family but it has proved to me beyond any doubt that we can NEVER rest on our laurels 🙁

    Doodah x

    #49308
    ruby tuesday
    Member

    So true, however strong we think we are, and it is hard when you feel truly awful not to be able to have the comfort of food due to dumping – yet that was exactly why I chose the bypass, so I got just what I paid for!!

    Sorry to hear about the consultant experience Doodah, I have met so many over the years due to both my husband and myself, and it is a very rare one who is a true ‘people person’ like Mr Somers, and can interact on a normal level with us non-medical types! You sometimes wonder why on earth they choose a job involving other people at all!

    #49302
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @ruby tuesday 28394 wrote:

    So true, however strong we think we are, and it is hard when you feel truly awful not to be able to have the comfort of food due to dumping – yet that was exactly why I chose the bypass, so I got just what I paid for!!

    Sorry to hear about the consultant experience Doodah, I have met so many over the years due to both my husband and myself, and it is a very rare one who is a true ‘people person’ like Mr Somers, and can interact on a normal level with us non-medical types! You sometimes wonder why on earth they choose a job involving other people at all!

    Thanks Ruby. You are SO right! Why do they chose their profession when it is clear they don’t like people very much? It ‘s like a person being a teacher when they don’t like children or a vet who can’t tolerate animals lol!

    Your ‘getting what you paid for’ regarding dumping really made me laugh! It’s great to have you back 😉

    Doodah x

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search Forums

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media