Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Tummy tuck .

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    hides

Hi doodah
    (Sorry to start new thread, comp playing up.)
    Anyway just wanted to ask how things are going for you. Are you out and about now ? Are you healing well ?

Heidi x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Hides, it’s great to be back!

Unfortunately, I’ve had a bit of a rough ride that resulted in me having to take much more time off than I had anticipated.

Firstly, there was a problem with the anaesthetic in that as I have tiny, baby veins, it was pumped into my hand instead of my vein. I didn’t go to sleep and the pain was almost intollerable. They quickly switched to my other hand and off I drifted at last.

I came out of the op well and the results are already absolutely AMAZING. However, the trouble with my hand continued as it swelled up to twice it’s normal size and was so painful I couldn’t use it for a few days.

I was sent home on the Saturday feeling really chipper. A few days later I noticed quite a large pocket of blood had leaked on my left side so went back to the hospital. They took off all the bandages and all looked absolutely fine. I was cleaned up, re ‘packaged’ and sent home. Unfortunately, a few days later, I started to notice a bit of a ‘whiff’ and was horrified to see that a good proportion of the would had become really infected. I went back to the hospital where they took a swab and put me on antibiotics. I didn’t feel like I was getting better despite them and in the meantime a huge lump had formed on my left side. So went back to the hospital again.

It was decided that it would be left alone until my consultant came back but I was given the antibiotics recommended by the swab results. Foreward a few days and back to see my consultant. He drew off about half a litre of fluid and other stuff and it seems to have stayed down. I have now finished the antibiotics and the wound is finally healing properly.

The Staff at the Spire Portsmouth have been absolutely fantastic. They have all been so kind and supportive and I never once felt that I was in any ‘danger’ from the infection. They are super efficent and utterly professional. The only thing I feel ‘upset’ about is the hand trouble. It’s still not quite right.

So, that is my experience so far. It hasn’t been easy but I was not going to gloss over any of it as I feel I owe it to my fellow wls pals to be completely honest about how things can go. I’m back at work, am in no pain and have a totally flat stomach. Yes I have a massive scar, can’t drive for another 3 weeks and I loathe the compression garment and stockings more than I can tell you but I no longer have the huge overhang that I used to have to tuck into my tights!

Feel free to ask me anyhting you want if you are considering having surgery to remove excess skin. I will be truthful and frank about MY experience. It didn’t go according to plan but I’m certain that when all the swelling has gone down I will have a flat taught tum with no overhang to harbour infections. That’s the worst irony really – that I had the surgery to stop infections!

I would recommend Mr Bennett and his team at the Spire in a heartbeat.

Doodah x

janie61

Hi Doodah, I’m glad you are finally on the mend. I was worried about you as we haven’t heard from you for some time.

Jane

Lauren
    Keymaster

Aw, thanks hon. I’m absolutely fine now but I was very miserable for a while which is so not like me!!

Doodah x

hides

Hi doodah
    Thanks so much for your frank but honest account of things. Looking forward i can see me walking this road……. and your honesty does help. Although i haven’t actually spoke to my consultant yet, it is the practical side of things i need to know more about. I have an 8 year old and we live in the country, so nearly everything we do involves a car journey . (School/shoppng etc etc ) i guess i really need to know how incapacitated you are for the first month or so. When i had my band , i worked that round the school half term .

Sorry to hear about the few hick ups you’ve had, but glad to hear you are on the mend and your results are looking good ๐Ÿ™‚ .

Heidi ๐Ÿ™‚ .

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi again Hides

I’m known for being frank and honest so my account couldn’t really be anything else lol!

If you were to go for a fleur de lys apronectomy like mine, I would say you would have to schedule approx six weeks of not driving. Mine was a massive operation that lasted around 4.5 hours and I had about 70 stitches inside and out. I was perfectly fine the following morning with very little pain. I didn’t use the morphine drip at all as it (pain) was never that bad to warrent using it, plus I wanted to avoid constipation at all costs which, thankfully, I have. If you have a regular tummy tuck it will be far less.

I didn’t do any cooking or cleaning for a good few weeks either but that was mainly due to my hand in all honesty. Shopping would only be a problem if you had to lift any of it yourself once you got it home. I have three other adults living in my house so it wasn’t an issue at all for me. Maybe internet shopping for a month might be of use to you as they bring it right into your house. As for housewwork, you may have to put up with a bit of chaos for a few weeks or ask a good friend to come and help you with it (same with shopping.) You will be amazed at how willing to help people are. I bought a slow cooker which is brilliant. Pop some cubed meat, chopped root veg, potatoes, stock and seasoning/herbs in and 8 hours later you have the most delicious, healthy food all in the one pot with little washing up!

I keep checking with the nurses and other staff when I can take of the compression stockings and garment as they drive me insane! I’ve been told six weeks a) because I have a blood problem (it clots too much) and b) you get a better end result. My compression garment is a full body one so it goes up to just underneath my breast bone and right down to my knees. Now, sorry if this is just a bit too much info but, I have to go to the loo through a hole in the gusset. It’s terrifying the first time you attempt it but it’s actually quite efficient!

So, in short, about 4-6 weeks of no driving, cooking/cleaning/shopping approx 2-4 weeks to be absolutely on the safe side and up to 6 weeks of wearing compression clothing. If you experience any setbacks it could be more. It’s not something to be taken lightly for sure.

Hope that helps and please feel free to ask anything else that you think of ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

ps I had to have a little glug of Gaviscon for the first time in four years when they first put the compression garment on me! I felt like my lungs were being crushed and it sort of gave me ‘heartburn’! I’m asthmatic so I think it might just have been initial panic as being gripped so tightly. I know, send for the men in white coats haha!

hides

Ha ha ๐Ÿ™‚ you make me chuckle……

Cant thank you enough or the info. I’m sure we will return to this conversation next year, but you have been very helpful.
    Best wishes
    Heidi x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Thanks Hides xxx

katy

Great to have you back doodah, you have been missed. Sorry to hear that you have had a rough time. Keeping my fingers crossed that its all plain sailing for you now
    Love Katy

Lauren
    Keymaster

Thanks Katy. I’m absolutely fine now – in fact I’m finding it quite hard not to want to run before I can walk haha! Luckily, I work from home so at least I don’t have the nightmare 8am journey to work. If you could see what I’m wearing you’d laugh your head off. Three T shirts, vest, hoodie, my Dad’s old PJ bottoms, compression garment and stockings and a pair of fair isle socks. Oh and fingerless gloves. Hat is on the table ready if needed haha! No make up but hair brushed woo hoo!

I’m feeling good but, sadly, not looking it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media