Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

tummy tuck

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ruby tuesday

I am just under a week out from my tummy tuck which went very well, and I was in very little pain initially, but the last couple of days am feeling it rather more. My main problem is bloating badly with gas, which I can’t clear, and as I am wearing the compression garments this puts extra pressure on an already very uncomfortable area. I am finding it hard to get food in, which I think is perhaps because (I am a bypass patient) my painkillers cause constipation, and I know from past experience once this builds up, I seem to have little ‘space’ for food! My theory is that I many be constipated, which is causing the wind, and I wondered whether anyone else had experienced this post tummy tuck surgery? I have started eating prunes, and bought prune juice, and do take over the counter wind tablets which don’t actually help, but of course can’t massage my tummy like I would have done pre-op, so can’t think of anything else that might help – I am walking too, in fact, have probably not been resting enough. Any suggestions?

Lauren
    Keymaster

@ruby tuesday 28818 wrote:

I am just under a week out from my tummy tuck which went very well, and I was in very little pain initially, but the last couple of days am feeling it rather more. My main problem is bloating badly with gas, which I can’t clear, and as I am wearing the compression garments this puts extra pressure on an already very uncomfortable area. I am finding it hard to get food in, which I think is perhaps because (I am a bypass patient) my painkillers cause constipation, and I know from past experience once this builds up, I seem to have little ‘space’ for food! My theory is that I many be constipated, which is causing the wind, and I wondered whether anyone else had experienced this post tummy tuck surgery? I have started eating prunes, and bought prune juice, and do take over the counter wind tablets which don’t actually help, but of course can’t massage my tummy like I would have done pre-op, so can’t think of anything else that might help – I am walking too, in fact, have probably not been resting enough. Any suggestions?

I know it’s an old chestnut ruby but are you drinking enough water? I know that won’t help with the wind initially but it almost certainly will with the constipation of which wind is a by product.

I hated the compression garment with a passion. It made me feel like I had heartburn all the time which of course I didn’t. You are still very newly post op so there may also be surgery gas circulating round your body. In my case, as soon as I was allowed to soak in the bath it seemed to ease it a bit as I could run jugs of warm water over my tummy to simulate a bit of massage.

Nuts are good for constipation and anything that is hard to digest like sweetcorn but in my very humble opinion, loads and loads of water is the thing to do. If in doubt, ask your team.

hope this helps a little

Doodah x

ruby tuesday

Thank you, have tried hard to drink lots, but will try to have some more, and did phone the Spire today just to check, they think much the same, and suggest lactulose too, so I will go all out and take some. I know I was very bunged up after the bypass, and although I have not needed the loo yet, no doubt that is what is the matter. I havn’t tried soaking in the bath but it is a good idea, might try this evening when it usually feel worse, thanks for the suggestion!

Lauren
    Keymaster

@ruby tuesday 28826 wrote:

Thank you, have tried hard to drink lots, but will try to have some more, and did phone the Spire today just to check, they think much the same, and suggest lactulose too, so I will go all out and take some. I know I was very bunged up after the bypass, and although I have not needed the loo yet, no doubt that is what is the matter. I havn’t tried soaking in the bath but it is a good idea, might try this evening when it usually feel worse, thanks for the suggestion!

You’re welcome Ruby. We plastics people have to stick together! Passing on tips is so useful and I had some fab brains to pick when I had mine ๐Ÿ˜‰

Enjoy your soak. I treated myself to some nice ‘Lush’ products and a meditation CD to make it a real treat – we deserve it!

Doodah x

I found the bloating was the worse and the constipation. I lost 10st 5 years ago and had a tummy tuck with muscle repair. It went very well I had no major complications except for the bad constipation and bloating. In hindsight I wasn’t near enough goal to have got the best results but now having re-gained around 6 stone I am very impressed with how well my TT had withstood weight gain and how I still don’t have a tummy. But I gained weight everywhere else, face, hips, legs and bum!

Now I’ve had my sleeve surgery I’m really looking forward to see whether it will cope with more drastic weightloss and return to being a good tight flat stomach as I’ve completely abused my poor body!

Lauren
    Keymaster

@triedeverything 28877 wrote:

I found the bloating was the worse and the constipation. I lost 10st 5 years ago and had a tummy tuck with muscle repair. It went very well I had no major complications except for the bad constipation and bloating. In hindsight I wasn’t near enough goal to have got the best results but now having re-gained around 6 stone I am very impressed with how well my TT had withstood weight gain and how I still don’t have a tummy. But I gained weight everywhere else, face, hips, legs and bum!

Now I’ve had my sleeve surgery I’m really looking forward to see whether it will cope with more drastic weightloss and return to being a good tight flat stomach as I’ve completely abused my poor body!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us – it can’t have been easy to be so brutally honest.

I think you have made a very good point about having corrective surgery too soon. I waited more than four years post bypass to have mine as I wanted to be absolutely certain that I would get the very best results permanently. It is SO expensive that I just couldn’t risk getting it wrong. I’m delighted with my nice flat tum that doesn’t get infections anymore. Mine is a huge scar as I had a fleur de lis (anchor shaped) surgery and muscle repair but I’m just so glad not to have to tuck my overhang into my vest anymore!! The top bit of it could have been tighter but my surgeon also wanted me to be safe so didn’t risk going too tight. From my point of view, I’m not seeking perfection – just better health.

Let’s hope your new weight loss reveals your lovely flat tum in all it’s glory once again ๐Ÿ˜‰ Your regain just goes to show that weight loss surgery is NOT a quick fix and that it takes effort, determination and support – for life. It’s so good of you to share it with us so thanks once again.

Doodah x

Thanks Doodah should point out that I’m only 5 weeks post op from Weight Loss Surgery and I gained my weight back last time after the traditional diet that frankly proves I couldn’t follow a healthy regime forever, my old over eating demons came back and I couldn’t regain control. That’s why I regained 6 stone and ended up having gastric sleeve surgery. I don’t have one regret as I’m 2 stone down!

Lauren
    Keymaster

Yay – two stone down is fantastic! Well done you. Keep up the good work and know that we are all here for you. What an achievement already! You must feel fantastic ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

ruby tuesday

Just posted an update to my tummy tuck, possibly in the wrong area, so popping it in here too! I am now 8 weeks post-op, and have healed well with a nice neat scar that can be hidden under pants, so I could wear a bikini on holiday if I wished. I am very pleased with my flat tummy, and very glad I waited until I had lost as much weight as I was likely to, before I considered having it done, as it gives a better result. I had a little muscle tightening, but that does not feel uncomfortable, my body is mostly back to feeling like it is mine again, apart from where the pant-line scar is, which does still feel tight, a bit like having a belt pulled round you. I think that eases over time, and with gentle massage. Apparently the line of tummy just above the scar which is still swollen will gradually flatten, evidently the fluid cannot drain away as the lymph drainage to the groin is cut as part of the surgery, but that grows back slowly, with excercise helping. I am aenemic due to the surgery, only just picked this up and started iron tablets, but otherwise all is well. Obviously the aememia is why I have felt so drained, so not back up to going on long walks with my walking group yet, will have to work up to that slowly! No surgery is an easy ride, but the results of this operation are worth it, for anyone considering a tummy tuck.

Lauren
    Keymaster

That’s such a good point – about waiting until your weight has stabilised to the point you are happy with before going ahead with a tummy tuck. I waited three years as I had lost SO much it was a massive operation to remove the amount of skin left over! My weight has been stable for 3.5 years now.

You must look like a film star now Ruby! Glad your anaemia is being addressed too as that robs you of the very last ounce of your energy doesn’t it?

It’s great to read such a positive post. Thank you for sharing it with us

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media