Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Truly surprising to me!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

BBC News – Hunter gatherer clue to obesity

I have just read this on the Streamline facebook page. Have to say I’m astounded! You would think ‘Hunter/Gatherers’ would expend immense amounts more energy than ‘Modern’ people!

Doodah, it is one of those research results that doesn’t seem quite believable isn’t it?

It’s a bit random I agree.. Once at one of many appointments about my weight my GP decided to use the following analogy … ‘ the thing is Tamsyn, there are just different people in life… People who are like cheeters, the hunter gathers, who run around all day gathering food and burn off lots of energy and stay thin. Then there are the polar bears, they eat and their body stores it incase it doesn’t get more food… And honestly, you’re a polar bear’ !!!!’ that was the end if the consultation!!! It really was the most random appointment ever !!! But i do like he guy and mostly his plethora of random analogies wirk. He once explained metformin as WD40!!! Anyway my point is that clearly he believes those who do more burn more!! And to be honest I think I agree . I just assumed you burn more energy you need more energy …. Xxx sorry random comment but it just made me remember that appointment!! Xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

That is so funny Squeaky. I’m definitely a Polar Bear. My Dad and son are Cheetahs – they eat loads and always burn it off quickly, even if they are doing absolutely no physical exercise at all. Me? I watch what I eat to make sure I’m healthy and go swimming and to the gym: I could just look at a few cookies and I would put on weight. Life is NEVER fair. Not in any aspect. Some of us are good at maths some aren’t (me) some are fast runners, some are artistic, others good at building things etc…. Unfortunately for us, we don’t burn calories very well. Thank goodness for wls is all I can say!! It helps us to start at the starting line and not 20m behind it (Olympian analogy there to be topical haha!) We still have to train as hard but at least we now have the chance of winning a medal (or not coming last) which is a darned sight more than before 😉

Doodah x

You are so right Doodah … Polar bears… Slow but steady… The marathon Olympians as opposed to the sprinters!!! Cx

Paul-H
    Participant

Slow and steady is good, just look at the giant tortoise for proof, it moves about as slow as you like and lives for hundreds of years, but a cheeta, speeding about all the time only lives for 8 years.

I have always said the heart is only designed to beat a fixed number of times, if you do exercise you make you heart beat faster and use up the allotted number of beats faster and die younger, well it works for me.

Also pay a visit to your local physiotherapy unit and just see how many of those in their 50’s with worn out hips and knees that used to do running and jogging in their younger days, see excercise is not good for you. How much proof do you need.:)

Remember look after your knees, you will miss them when they are gone.

Also of all the thing in life I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 24939 wrote:

Slow and steady is good, just look at the giant tortoise for proof, it moves about as slow as you like and lives for hundreds of years, but a cheeta, speeding about all the time only lives for 8 years.

I have always said the heart is only designed to beat a fixed number of times, if you do exercise you make you heart beat faster and use up the allotted number of beats faster and die younger, well it works for me.

Also pay a visit to your local physiotherapy unit and just see how many of those in their 50’s with worn out hips and knees that used to do running and jogging in their younger days, see excercise is not good for you. How much proof do you need.:)

Remember look after your knees, you will miss them when they are gone.

Also of all the thing in life I have lost, I miss my mind the most.

Paul

Oh Paul, that made me laugh out loud, so loud, it made my dogs jump!! Brilliant. Thank you for making me laugh on this freezing cold (summer!!) tuesday morning!! 😀

Doodah xx

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media