Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Trouble eating veggies

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I had my Bypass back in November and the weight is falling off which is fab! I am am a bit concerned that I can’t eat veggies. I can only eat really soft ones in tinned soup or blended ones in homemade soup. I used to loves carrots, onions and parsnips in my cottage pie, but now they make me sick.

Should I be content to eat cottage pie without the veggies and rely on getting my 5 a day from soup?

derlooker
    Participant

Hi Rose,

I worry about the same.

I miss veggies and fruit. But the only fruit I eat is baby fruit at the moment and veggies are limited.

I am however really thrilled at the weight loss and don’t regret a thing.

My bypass was on 30 November and I am wondering if it is just because it is still early days or a thing I will have to get used to.

Would love to hear how others have got on.

Lisa

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Rose and Lisa

When I think back to what I ate post op, I too worried about my veggie intake. I now remember that I just ate loads more of the ones I could tolerate and whizzed up the ones I couldnt manage quite as well. Also, fruit is as good as veg in many instances. So long as you are strict about taking your supplements, you shouldn’t have any worries nutrition-wise. The problem is boredom. Why not introduce veggies one at a time but pureed. It will give your new system a little helping hand with digestion and you still get all the goodness.

I’m in my 4th year now and can eat almost any veg (in fact ALL the ones I like) and have even tried to learn to love the ones I don’t! I hate carrots but have started to puree them and add them to soups to try to ‘fool’ myself lol!

Where there is a will…..

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I am now nearly a year post op and thinking back to my early days I could eat most veg as long as it was well mashed and a sauce or gravey added these days I eat most veg and ones that I didn’t like before like brussel sproats again they have to be well cooked (soft) and as long as a sauce or gravey is added everything is ok apart from the wind that they cause lol. As for fruit again I guess I have been lucky as long as it is soft, grapes, satsuma’s, melon, cherries etc, well chewed I have no problems, just got back into bananas as I had a few problems with them. Apples, pears and pineapple are a no go and I must say I do miss my apples, I can tolerate nuts but again well chewed and only in small amounts. I think it is trial and error but you both as still early days post op so be patience you will get there.
    Elaine xx

derlooker
    Participant

Hi Elaine & Doodah,

Thanks for your messages.

It is good to see that things will get easier. It does not seem like a huge problem but as i am starting to feel healthier i want to be sure i am getting what my body needs

I think it is because most of the time I forget I have had the op as I feel so normal. (that is in a good way)

I saw Mr Sommers two weeks ago. He told me that is exactly how it is meant to be.

What I don’t feel any more after just 8 weeks and 4 days is pain walking. Breathlessness. Have difficulty getting out of chairs. The list could go on. Suffice to say it is all good stuff. 🙂

Anyway. Thanks again. Doodah I can always rely on u for words of wisdom. Xx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media