Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

trapped wind

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Hi guys, just a quick question, had my bypass on Thursday, and generally feeling good and managing soups etc and liquids but having trouble burping, have the need to but can’t get them out, I am sure I had this problem to begin with after my band, is it also normal after a bypass???? Cheers guys x

katy

Hey katie,
    I think we were on the MDT day together! Congratulations on the op, I had mine on the 5th march and including 4 weeks on the pre op diet I have lost 5stone 5pound and am down from a size 22 to a 16/18 (depends were I shop!)
    I have the same problem as you, I have never been able to burp, my mum can’t either, so I got very uncomfortable in the first few days post op. 8 weeks down the line I still can’t burp but have no problems shifting the wind in the other direction! It’s become very musical in my house.
    I still suffer with trapped wind but I find mint tea helps. I do occasionally take a windeze tablet which also helps although I need to check whether this is recommended. Anyway, I promise you it gets easier and very quickly. I still sometimes get the gurgling in my throat but that tends to be when I have eaten too quickly or something that doesn’t agree with me but generally it’s just lots of trumping!
    Good luck for the coming weeks, I have absolutely no regrets and I get such a buzz with each little victory!
    Good luck
    Katy x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Great advice Katy. We should start our own band but I fear there would be too many of us in the ‘wind’ section hahaha!!

Doodah x

Beluca

Hi all,

I had my bypass on Tuesday, got home yesterday. I am in terrible pain with wind, is this normal? I have taken a windeez which helped a little bit, but the pain really is quite strong. How long does it last for? The wind is making me feel so sick I can’t face eating anything. Any help would be really appreciated.

A x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Beluca 23940 wrote:

Hi all,

I had my bypass on Tuesday, got home yesterday. I am in terrible pain with wind, is this normal? I have taken a windeez which helped a little bit, but the pain really is quite strong. How long does it last for? The wind is making me feel so sick I can’t face eating anything. Any help would be really appreciated.

A x

Hi Beluca and welcome to the losers bench!

What you are experiencing is perfectly normal if highly irritating. Most of us have found that gentle walking helps to ease it and taking the windeze as you are already doing. The wind is the air the surgeons use to pump up the abdomen in order to get easier access to the stomach. It will dissipate over the next few days so you won’t be stuck with it for long.

Also don’t be shy about letting it go! Post wls is no place for being too polite. I used to frighten my 2 dogs for days after mine lol!! Chin up and let us know how you get on.

Doodah xx

Beluca

Thanks doodah that is reassuring. The pain was so bad this morning I was beginning to worry!

Off for my 1/2 weetabix now!

X

Doodah
    Keymaster

You’re welcome hon. Mmm weetabix. Might have to have some with warm milk for lunch ;-))

Doodah x

shelleymarie

I’m a week post op and I’m still a little windy but the pain does go! Every time I burp I do expect to be told well done like I did by the nurses in hospital haha, but seriously just a couple more days and you will be feeling like a new person 🙂 x

Doodah
    Keymaster

It’s like being a baby again isn’t it? Big congratulations for every burp and fart haha! Make the most of it I say ;-))

Doodah x

katy

Hello!
    I am 13 weeks post op and I still trump like a goodun! I occasionally get trapped wind but walking around really does help and windeze is a great back up, I always carry it with me.
    My farts are soooo loud my partner rolls about laughing but it does make the cats jump!!
    I had terrible trapped wind pain post op but I promise it settles very quickly and you forget how uncomfortable it was. I can’t burp (never been able to…neither can my mum) so my trumps are twice as loud but very satisfying!!
    Just thought I’d share that with you all!
    Katy x

Nettie

Don’t forget the peppermint tea, so soothing when you have trapped wind, never drank befor my band op but have at least 1 cup everyday now and always after a meal in a restuarant rather than coffee

Nettie xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Yep, peppermint tea works: but farts are funnier haha! Not as delicious as the tea however :-@

Doodah x

Danebabe

Errr new to the forum and only 6 days post op, eating is not a problem, but just want to ask if any of you had problems with explosive poohs after the op…..its tricky what with the wind and all, if you get my drift…is it normal to have runny poop?. Apart from that I am feeling great no pain, and up and about doing stuff.Am eating all the regulation liquid soups etc so have no reason to be suffering like this, decided I can’t stand fat free yoghurt as its too sweet, so cannot be too much sugar?

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Danebabe and welcome.

Could just be your body trying to adjust to it’s new ‘plumbing’!? I honestly can’t remember that far back now being four years post op almost. I actually think it’s better than being constipated. If it starts to be really troublesome, give your team a call.

Doodah x

Clanceychick

Hi

I’m 9 weeks post bypass op and just moved from slops to solids. I’ve been runny since the op and have discussed it on both my visits since. We agreed I’d see how it went now on solid food. I think given I was living on runny food then the runny poop was inevitable. I’m touching wood that it will improve now though as having about 30 seconds warning has not been fun! Sorry to be so graphic.

Like others have said, if you’re concerned check with your team

Good luck
    Sarah

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media