Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

To anyone just starting out

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » To anyone just starting out

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    derlooker
    Participant

I just thought it might be a nice idea to write a few lines to anyone that is waiting for first consultations or Pre op appointments.

The weeks I was waiting seemed like an age and I was constantly searching for useful info.

I am just 5 weeks post op tomorrow and it felt like my wait for my bypass was never ending. (Although it was only 4 months.)

I spent the time researching the different options for surgery, reading books searching the internet, although i wish i had been more cautious with the Internet.

All of the wait time was invaluable. It is a massive step and as Denise our dietician told me, it is imperative that we have time to really think about what we are planning and not just hand over the credit card and go forward.

I attended a support group. I met up with people who were post op.

Plus I prepared all I needed to take to hospital and made up small portions of puréed meals.

Another really useful thing I did was sell lots of old clothes on eBay. As someone whose weight has gone from size 12 to 32 in the past 10 years I had many different sizes in wardrobes and the attic. I am also a bit of a shopperholic :). the money I made helped so much plus I have some put by as the weight comes off. I am already down 3 sizes. I find larger lady clothes go really well on eBay. I guess lots of people like me love clothes but don’t much like changing rooms so prefer to shop online.

Lastly but certainly not leastly I joined two wls forums where I asked questions and made a whole new bunch of wls cyber mates. This was invaluable.

Good luck to anyone who is about to take the leap. My surgeon has given me a shot at a new life. I just can’t wait to grab it with both hands. I had totally lost hope I could ever lose weight. And…. Guess what. It is already happening. Over 2 and a half stones off already.

I would love to hear others stories too.

Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Copey

Hi Lisa

Well done you – and a great idea to try and inspire people who may be debating the pros and cons. I do have a question – for the immediate post op, so far I have only made some of the Thai Chicken Soup in “return to slender” – I still don’t really know what I will be eating and for how long in the immediate post op phase – what else should I try and make to freeze before the op? My op is 10th Jan so I am running out of time a little – so if I need to prepare more things I have to get cracking. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks again for your post 🙂

Simon X

kathc

Hi Simon I had soups for a good few weeks with light grated cheese sprinkled on top .

In the book there is a salmon recipe that is fab puréed .

I got some of those frozen fish portions in sauce that you can microwave or boil , they also purée really well .

All the best

Katherine

kathc

Hi Lisa well done you !

I have had a splurge selling on eBay too especially pre Xmas with dresses etc !! I’m now hitting the sales for new bits !!

I have kept my biggest pair of jeans and put them on the other , was a bit of a shocker !!but good shock . I am near 6 months post op and around 7 st lost so far !!

Keep up good work !

Katherine . X

luckyflower

Hi Simon well done, the lentil soup is very tasty too and easy on your tummy to start.
    Good luck for 10th x

Copey

Someone told me perhaps the tomato base in lentil soup not so great although can’t remember who. Any thoughts? X

Doodah
    Keymaster

@derlooker 21066 wrote:

I just thought it might be a nice idea to write a few lines to anyone that is waiting for first consultations or Pre op appointments.

The weeks I was waiting seemed like an age and I was constantly searching for useful info.

I am just 5 weeks post op tomorrow and it felt like my wait for my bypass was never ending. (Although it was only 4 months.)

I spent the time researching the different options for surgery, reading books searching the internet, although i wish i had been more cautious with the Internet.

All of the wait time was invaluable. It is a massive step and as Denise our dietician told me, it is imperative that we have time to really think about what we are planning and not just hand over the credit card and go forward.

I attended a support group. I met up with people who were post op.

Plus I prepared all I needed to take to hospital and made up small portions of puréed meals.

Another really useful thing I did was sell lots of old clothes on eBay. As someone whose weight has gone from size 12 to 32 in the past 10 years I had many different sizes in wardrobes and the attic. I am also a bit of a shopperholic :). the money I made helped so much plus I have some put by as the weight comes off. I am already down 3 sizes. I find larger lady clothes go really well on eBay. I guess lots of people like me love clothes but don’t much like changing rooms so prefer to shop online.

Lastly but certainly not leastly I joined two wls forums where I asked questions and made a whole new bunch of wls cyber mates. This was invaluable.

Good luck to anyone who is about to take the leap. My surgeon has given me a shot at a new life. I just can’t wait to grab it with both hands. I had totally lost hope I could ever lose weight. And…. Guess what. It is already happening. Over 2 and a half stones off already.

I would love to hear others stories too.

Lisa

Great Post. Thank you so much for sharing it x

Doodah x

luckyflower

simon, i used the recipe from the return to slender and it was fine = would need to get the recipe out to check

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media