Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

The role of fast food in obesity

Home » Topics » General Section » Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery Debates and Media. » The role of fast food in obesity

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

How fab it is to be guilt free about food. I can now enjoy a little bit if what I fancy and it has no hold over me guilt wise at all. Of course, I am way further down the line than you guys but food no longer holds me a prisoner. I wish that for you both with all my heart xx

clairec

Hi,
    Hope you are doing ok Julie. I am struggling to get fluids in so I am glad you just said that Audrasharon (don’t know what to call you really). I am trying ice cubes instead. Having managed to have yogurt and a savoury puree yesterday had Readibrek this morning and I haven’t coped with anything since. Feel a bit queazy, but not sick, and just a bit off colour. Only day 4 though and I think I was doing soo much better than I expected, so probably a bit too tired too.
    Really looking forward to seeing you all on Thursday
    Claire

audrasharon

I did a lot of read pre op so I had come to my own conclusion that what the medics wanted you to drink and what you can actually get down we’re two completely different things! So I wasn’t worried in the early days coz it just ain’t possible. You just have to do the best you can in the first couple of weeks. If you can get anywhere near a litre your doing great but some days you might not. It will get better. Slow and steady! My name is Sharon. Audra is my middle name. So call me sharon (ha) you just have to get through those first couple of weeks then you start to trust yourself again and it gets better but you have to do that at every stage. I had a very small ” normal meal” for the first time tonight didn’t finish it. Waited 30 mins then drank. Was so close to being sick, head in the toilet salivating but managed not to vomit. I’ve learnt for me I’ll wait on hour next time before I start drinking again. I think your doing great. It’s not even a week yet. Rest up and try to relax. X

Kimberly
    Participant

Claire I made a time table up to get fluids in as I get constipated so I have to drink . Don’t worry about food little and often , luckily I really liked milk ( strange isn’t it after the milk diet ) I still have days were I don’t want to eat so I drink allot of hot milky drinks , also I find warm / hot drinks easier than cold .

audrasharon
    Kimberly wrote:
    Claire I made a time table up to get fluids in as I get constipated so I have to drink . Don’t worry about food little and often , luckily I really liked milk ( strange isn’t it after the milk diet ) I still have days were I don’t want to eat so I drink allot of hot milky drinks , also I find warm / hot drinks easier than cold .

That’s funny because I alway had really cold drinks out of the fridge with added ice. Now I have them at room temp. Would never of done that but can’t tolerate cold now.

treeza

Me to the first month it was water & ice now it’s water at room temp. I also have to have a nice hot cuppa before eating in the morning to wake Eggwina up! If I don’t she’s a tad sluggish & eating is a nightmare! I still struggle with breakfast mind! Slow & steady wins the race. Sip, sip, sip the fluids. It is impossibly to get enough fluids in at the beginning but important you get in as much as possible. Eat little & often. Take your time. Your all doing so well x looking forward to seeing you all next week all being well. Lots of love xxx

Hi Claire!
    Well done you!!
    I found that the wrench from leaving the comfort zone of the hospital, to actually getting settled back home was exhausting and I wanted to cry cos everything that I did took so very long! Frustrating!!
    Guess I was having a paddy!
    Day 4and 5 for me were the worst as I was tired and I had lots of lovely visitors and I just wanted to STOP! And rest. I couldn’t while guests were here talking to me- even that was exhausting!
    I did not feel well at all.
    So from then on I just sat wrapped up watching dvd’s and tv and got up when I could to cater or potter for myself.
    That complete slowing down did me the world of good.
    Claire do that for as long as you can, I ended up with a square bottom!
    Then I had to do a little of something!
    Today I went for a half hour walk very very very slowly( passers by must have thought I was a weird one)
    I thoroughly enjoyed a bit of sunshine, then sat in a quaint tea shop and had half a cup of green tea with my husband.
    The bumpy drive was not too bad and I carried my bottle of water with me wherever I went.
    It must be normal to push the boundaries of what you can do, and it sounds like you have just done that!
    So now draw back on yourself and relax for a few more days, and as our Doodah says- be kind to ourselves we gave just had major surgery, and your body will thank you for it!
    You did it Claire, I’m delighted for you, what counts now is that we are looking after ourselves the way we have been told, the best way that we can.
    Have a lovely weekend!
    See you soon, Julie xx

clairec

Hi to you all,
    That was all really helpful. I hope that you are are enjoying your time away (those of you who are away). Today the Weetabix seemed better tan the Readibrek, less filling. Trying on the fluids and have had some flavoured ice cubes. Yogurt at lunchtime was not really possible but I managed a few teaspoons, not nearly as much as I was given in hospital though.
    Not sure about tonight I will see how I feel. Feeling less queazy today though which is great.
    Are you doing ok Julie?
    Claire x

clairec

Thanks so much for that Julie, we must have cross posted!
    Yes yesterday seeing people was tiring I think and I think I was overdoing it. Today I have had a sleep for one and a half hours and I don’t think I am feeling so washed out. Interesting, that you felt that way too. And you went out today, that is great! That must have been good.

I think I was so busy in the hospital just trying to do everything and prove that I was well enough to go home, and that didn’t help either.

Hopefully we will meet on Thurs evening.
    Claire x

Hi Kimberly!
    I like the milk too- soya for me.
    I find I can get more fluids down with a splash of s milk in my tea and today I had a very small s. milky coffe! Lovely and soothing and warm.
    It went down very well. Up until now, I just had my herbal teas and water.
    I like the milk dash now and it’s fortified with calcium/ vits.
    That’s a very good idea to make a fluid intake chart, don’t think I’m up to it at the mo cos I’m bound to fall short, but trust me I’m sipping all day.
    One thing- when streamline phoned me she advised me to take for constipation-in addition to movicol, some Benefibre powder to mix in my food, 2 teaspoon. A day, it is soluble and does not create any volume, and tasteless.
    I’ve been doing that, and only taken movicol once- expensive but not too bad to taste, to help.
    Anyway what do I know!!
    Have a lovely weekend,
    Julie xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@clairec 31073 wrote:

Thanks so much for that Julie, we must have cross posted!
    Yes yesterday seeing people was tiring I think and I think I was overdoing it. Today I have had a sleep for one and a half hours and I don’t think I am feeling so washed out. Interesting, that you felt that way too. And you went out today, that is great! That must have been good.

I think I was so busy in the hospital just trying to do everything and prove that I was well enough to go home, and that didn’t help either.

Hopefully we will meet on Thurs evening.
    Claire x

Visitors are lovely – for ten minutes! when I visit someone in hospital or newly discharged at home, I stay 15 mins max then leave. It is utterly exhausting for the patient. And let’s face it, what is there to say after ‘How are you?’ and ‘Do you need anything?’ Hahaha!

Slow down, take your time (however slow it might be) treat yourself with kindness and allow others to help you.

I’m so happy for you and Julie and can’t wait to see you on Thursday. However, if you are unsure about coming – please delay it. Do not push yourself harder than your body wants. It will protest later!

Doodah x

Hi Doodah!
    Yes you are right about me being a bit hesitant in committing to Thursday only because I am relying on my other son for a lift- I don’t want to be a burden to him- husband is in Japan now.
    My son has just started a new job.
    But it’s all looking good so far.
    I’ll bring that folder for you, and my fat photo.
    It’s would not be because I can’t manage it.
    The group is great and very very helpful and meeting everyone is wonderful!
    I hope you are very well and had a lovely weekend.
    See you soon,
    Julie xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

You just put yourself first. If you think it will be too much for you then stay at home.

You have to learn to start putting yourself first more often 😉

Doodah x

Thanks for that!
    I feel fine I have been out a bit at the wkend, with someone.
    I am looking foreward to attending and I would be so disappointed if I could not get there!
    Julie xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

It would be fabulous to see you and Claire but, your long-term well-being must always come first.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media