Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

The Milk Diet 18 months after bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Spikeyjaycee

Hi guys. I had my bypass 18 months ago and lost 8 stone in all but I’ve found I have slipped back into bad habits again with my food. I’ve put about 10 pounds on which disappoints me and I was wondering whether I should go back to basics and do the milk diet for a week to 10 days to ‘kick start’ my eating habits. Has anyone else done this or is it likely to be a problem cos I’ve had the bypass. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

mandyl

im not suer but i dont think its a great idea. isnt it mainly for the liver? would you put back on after returning to normal again. i know some people go back to basics. ie after op food.
    are you able to excercise? could you do some of that and just try really hard to be stricter with food. sorry if thats no help. x

ruby tuesday

Just typed loads and accidently wiped it, so annoying! I agree with Mandyl, when people go back to basics if they are having trouble with food, it is usually back to the post-op foods. Basically, write down what the bad habits you mention are, or post on here and see if anyone can help with them. Are you eating balanced meals, with regular protein, if not your bad habits may be because you are hungry. If you can work out why you have slipped up, you can correct it, but we need as much nutrition as possible and that comes from a variety of foods, just milk is not enough. Also exercise, are you able to do 30 mins per day, and are you active during the day? I do sympathise, and hope you can reverse the weight gain.

Irene

Hi,

I think a call to the Dieticians would be in order. In the meantime start with soups again just as you did when you first had your op.. Going back to basics helps settle things again. Think this is a good idea for everyone just now and again to get back into the swing of things.
    Hope you can settle down again.

Anonymous

Hi Spickey, Its been ages…lol…too long some might say, but hey ho…
    Their is a post about a 5 day puch test that is commonly used by our colleagues over seas….

I’m with you on the time out and the honeymoon period being well past its date so if you want a companion to do the diet with count me in….. I am game and not intent in gaining anymore than I have in the last 4-6 weeks.

ME THINKS WE MIGHT NEED TO FOCUS ON US AND FOR WHATEVER REASON, GET BACK INTO CONTROL.

We could even post it, our diaries as it might help some of the lurkers who look in from time to time with the same problems…

As oldies its our duty…lol…

Take a look and let me know……

Buzz xx

I AM 27 months and do the milk diet every 3 months to stop me from gaining also I am starting the 5 day pouch test on monday 20th june as my GP put me on a drug which has caused me to gain a huge 12lbs and i am beside my self with greif
    as i have simply worked too hard to re gain!!!
    I have stopped the drug which is probably not in my health’s best interest
    but if I gain weight after both band and bypass surgeries i really will olose my mind
    ITS NEVER ENDING BUZZ
    here we all are so far down the road and BACK ON A DIET
    who knew eh?????
    best of luck to you

mandyl

my medication is very well known for weight gain.
    thing is if im totally honest with myself they are the best ones ive been on.
    i think its a balance, i was horrified when i put on 4lbs then guy looked at me like i was being totally stupid.
    i know im lucky in the sense that ive lost it and havent put any on and that i can excercise. i love my bike but its also hard work esp in the wind lol.
    at first i was like get me off these pills, thing is they help me and if it means i have to work extra hard so be it.
    i honest dont think the milk diet is a good idea after the op as its not going to give your body what it needs.
    big hugs from me and shout if you wanna chat. that goes for anyone anytime xx

Spikeyjaycee

Hi guys, Thanks for your replies. Mandy. the idea behind me wanting to do the milk diet again was, not for shrinking my liver, but cos I lost weight on it and it was easy enough to follow. I would only do it for a week or so just to ‘boost’ my weight loss. I am keeping up with the exercise – I walk about 2 miles a day – must turn round and head back home soon else I’ll run out of country…lol hehe!
    Ruby – basically the foods I’ve gone back to are the ones that caused the problem in the first place!!! – The biscuits, sweets, cakes, choccies etc. Obviously I can’t eat the volume I used to, but it doesn’t cause any dumping!
    I never thought, after going through the trauma of surgery, that I would ever be in the situation where I am considering ‘dieting’ again. I’ve got my hypnosis tape out again and play that at bedtime to try and get my mind back to the right place again but its not easy.
    I feel that I’ve let myself down, Chris Pring (who did my surgery) down and the staff at St Richards. I was given a chance that alot of people would like and abused it, if that makes sense. Or am I being to hard on myself? I have lost 8 stone (although 10 pounds have gone back on), I am still healthier than I was, I can exercise, walk for miles and still buy clothes in normal chain stores rather than Evans only, so why can’t I be grateful for what I HAVE achieved rather than what I’ve failed on.
    Does anyone else have these feelings, or been through what I’m going through? At this rate I shall be attending the tea party in cognito so no-one knows who I am!!
    Sorry for going on and thanks for all your support.
    Julie x

bettyjoe17

Actually I’ve done it once. Asked the dietitian if I could do it. Said I could if I felt I needed to go back to basics. Harder the second time around but after several days didn’t feel hungry. Remember to drink plenty of water…water…water. Hopes that helps. I did it because I was craving and eating too much bread…heading back to a bad habit. How does one stop those bad habits that got us to an unhealthy state?

SJ

I think you could try the milk diet but as many bypassers dump on milk sugars it might not be so easy the next time around! You could try the 5 day pouch test, which also helps you get back to basics, but why not go back to the basic rules of protein first, then veggies/fruit, and then carbs Only if room and drink at least 2 litres of water per day. Lots of good protein and cut out the bad carbs. Not easy, and even harder as you are not dumping. Maybe speak to one of the dieticians for some advice…a friend of mine about the same stage as you has just gone back to Slimming World to get ‘back on track’ as she can also eat most things and has no restriction.

Both the mik diet and 5 day pouch test will help you to lose a few pounds, but you are likely to regain the weight as soon as you return to your normal eating pattern. So, trying to adopt a new eating regime would be the best approach. GI type diets are quite good as they balance blood sugars and stop/reduce carb cravings and this is what the basic bypass eating plan is based on…

Also remember that a small regain after the first 12-18 months is common, the body bounces back a little…so this could be down to your body adjusting…

Good luck, don’t panic and don’t beat yourself up, you are human!

SJ
    x

Anonymous

Julie julie julie……
    You really are not alone, So we try something together…..
    You nave not let anyone down least yourself, its hard to imagine we would have had such sucess only for our eating can get out of control.
    For whatever reason we do it, it can come back with a vengance…..

Its why we are told their is a honeymoon period..You me and a few others are well past that. so we work on turning it around….. getting back to basics and trying a little harder.

Your be hard not to spot at the tea party i think…. pictures are up from last year and you really should shine.
    You have done so well, and will get back on track because you realise whats going on….

Not much has ever been said about 18 months out or so…so I am sure it will help the forum and ourselves.

Just let me know what I can do to help and lets work together…. teamwork…..

I am game if you are….

buzz x

mandyl

@Spikeyjaycee 16723 wrote:

Hi guys, Thanks for your replies. Mandy. the idea behind me wanting to do the milk diet again was, not for shrinking my liver, but cos I lost weight on it and it was easy enough to follow. I would only do it for a week or so just to ‘boost’ my weight loss. I am keeping up with the exercise – I walk about 2 miles a day – must turn round and head back home soon else I’ll run out of country…lol hehe!
    Ruby – basically the foods I’ve gone back to are the ones that caused the problem in the first place!!! – The biscuits, sweets, cakes, choccies etc. Obviously I can’t eat the volume I used to, but it doesn’t cause any dumping!
    I never thought, after going through the trauma of surgery, that I would ever be in the situation where I am considering ‘dieting’ again. I’ve got my hypnosis tape out again and play that at bedtime to try and get my mind back to the right place again but its not easy.
    I feel that I’ve let myself down, Chris Pring (who did my surgery) down and the staff at St Richards. I was given a chance that alot of people would like and abused it, if that makes sense. Or am I being to hard on myself? I have lost 8 stone (although 10 pounds have gone back on), I am still healthier than I was, I can exercise, walk for miles and still buy clothes in normal chain stores rather than Evans only, so why can’t I be grateful for what I HAVE achieved rather than what I’ve failed on.
    Does anyone else have these feelings, or been through what I’m going through? At this rate I shall be attending the tea party in cognito so no-one knows who I am!!
    Sorry for going on and thanks for all your support.
    Julie x

i realise its not cos u wanted to shrink your liver. i meant that i didnt think it was suitable as thats what its for. sorry was just trying to help 🙁
    hope your ok x

Spikeyjaycee

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I will think long and hard about what everyone has said and try not to beat myself up over it!
    On a plus note – got my lovely new dress for the tea party – I shall be the belle of the ball. Last year it was trousers – this year the legs are let loose on the world…..lol

ruby tuesday

Julie, feel for you, my weakness is sweet things, not necessarily too much either just that regularly having even say a couple of biscuits does over time pile the pounds (well ok, stones!) on. You have lost 8 stone which is just wonderful, and what ever help you now need is just fine so don’t critizise yourself. It is unfortunate the dumping effect has gone but recognising you have to look for another deterent is sensible – you have not let anyone down either. Personally I am a sugar addict, so having any sets my body craving the next ‘hit’ and even though I know that, controlling myself is hard. Have you read ‘Potatoes not Prozac’ by Kathleen DesMaison, it explains the sugar addiction so well. best wishes

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Julie

Firstly, please stop beating yourself up – we are all only human.

I think Irene is right in that you should maybe check in with the dietician first. We all know what we should be eating and how much exercise we should be doing but it’s that mind-block of knowing but not doing it that got us all here in the first place.

I went on HRT at the beginning of the year and started putting a few pounds back on so I stopped taking it (it didn’t do any good anyway) and the weight went again. I’m now having quite a few problems with menopausal syptoms, but I’ve chosen to just ride them out (they are a natural part of getting older!) so that I don’t gain any weight with medication.

When I’m having a tough time with ‘Head hunger’, I find going back to basics helps: soups, soups, soups! All home made and full of goodness. There is something strangely comforting about home made soup that helps me with my ‘psychological’ battle with food. Maybe I associate it with being cared for as a child….who knows?!

Anyway, I hope you can find a way of getting back on track. We ALL know how devastating weight gain is after such a struggle to get it under ‘control’. Please let us know how you get on.

Doodah xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media