Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

The Man who ate himself to death

Home » Topics » General Section » Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery Debates and Media. » The Man who ate himself to death

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31614
    Paul-H
    Participant

    Hi all

    Anyone catch the Man who ate himself to death on TV the other day

    A sad outcome and not the way you would have expected it to go although it was anticipated from the title, just didn’t expect it to me suicide.

    It was also a first for these American shows to actually Hi Light the work of the Feeder as well. There is quite often more to being super morbid obese than just having a taste for chocolate and burgers.

    Mind you having seen a lot of these American shows where in every single case the subject has been from the bottom of the economic wealth pile with no one in the family apparently working how on earth do they afford their 10000 plus calorie a day habit.

    Is Obesity just a sign of low income these days, are the rich or better off buying a better quality food, is there something in low cost food that is doing this, and I am not talking about Fat and Sugar content here, are they putting something else in the cheap food that might be having an effect.

    Is food addiction just an addiction for the poor?

    Paul

    #52755
    bikerchris
    Participant

    Hi

    Victoria Wood made a comment about this is one of her stand-up routines several years ago, saying that if you compare the cost of a gram of coke or a bottle of vodka against a Warburtons sliced white and a pot of Hartleys jam, no wonder the latter was her drug of choice. It is not my intention to make light of food addiction, but her comment is funny as well as tragic.

    Because I know that this forum is a safe place, I am happy to reveal that I am an alcoholic in recovery for many years. Having been successful in my recovery, you can imagine my despair at being a food addict and not being able to apply the same principals, which for me was the 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous, in that part of my life.

    Thank you for posting that as it has allowed me to think and talk about about this.

    Chris

    #52753
    treeza
    Member

    Hi Chris I just wanted to let you know that this group isn’t closed & anyone can read the posts on here. If I’m wrong I do apologise but until you have it confirmed by Doodah I wouldn’t disclose too much.

    I watched this programme & cried at the end. That poor chap was trapped in his body & was begging to be set free. I can understand why the surgeons set him goals mind. It’s such a tricky one isn’t it this poor people are unable to get up & get the food themselves so rely on others. I can only guess that their loved ones don’t like see then miserable so feed them. The obese person could also say no I guess.

    I think the fact we got to the point we needed surgery means we were addicted to food/eating. I for one need to say I was addicted to eating. It was my comfort when feeling down which ended up being most of the time as I was soon so down about my weight I was just going round & round in circles!
    Take care if yourselves & be kind to yourselves. xxx

    #52748
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    I have to confirm that this forum is not closed and can be picked up by a google search.

    I’m really sorry if you thought otherwise. However, whatever you write in a private message is exactly that – private.

    I have to say that I am brimming with admiration for you. Also, that you are not alone in having had/have other addictions.

    Doodah x

    #52752
    Paul-H
    Participant

    The trouble with addictions is that we don’t ever actually beat them, if we are lucky we learn to control them but they don’t ever really go away.

    In my case other Thant the obvious food addiction I used to have a 100 a day cigaret habit, which in my case I finally got control of the day Denis Healy put them up to a £1 a packet, so that was the early eighties and even after all these years I still catch myself staring at them in the news agents, mind you I cannot believe how anyone can now spend around £8 a packet.

    Some additions are easier than others to get some control over as you can just stop using whatever you are addicted to, be it Alcohol, Drugs, Cigarets, etc but some are harder as you have to use to a much smaller amount, like food. Not saying that giving up any addiction is easy though.

    Well done to anyone that now have control of there own demons we all know how hard it is, just don’t swap one addiction for another, as that’s so easy to do as well.

    Paul

    #52756
    bikerchris
    Participant

    Hi again,

    Thanks Treeza, yes I knew the forum is open so perhaps safe was the wrong choice of word. What I meant was that, in my experience, the forum users are supportive of each other so I felt happy to mention this.

    I’m open about my alcoholism and recovery with family, friends, and colleagues, so I’ve got no issue with the forum community or anyone else seeing my post.

    #52754
    treeza
    Member

    That’s great Chris I just wanted to be sure. I think sometimes we have to be open with our struggles in order to move forward although I know it’s not for everyone & it’s their choice. I have told anyone & everyone about my weight loss surgery. If they don’t like it tough. It’s my life not theirs! I really admire you. Giving up smoking exactly 1 year ago was tough enough. Take care x

    #52749
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @bikerchris 32296 wrote:

    Hi again,

    Thanks Treeza, yes I knew the forum is open so perhaps safe was the wrong choice of word. What I meant was that, in my experience, the forum users are supportive of each other so I felt happy to mention this.

    I’m open about my alcoholism and recovery with family, friends, and colleagues, so I’ve got no issue with the forum community or anyone else seeing my post.

    Hi Chris

    I am now even more staggered at what you have achieved. Your openness and willingness to share your thoughts and experiences is amazing.

    As Paul rightly says, we never get rid of our addictions fully so it will always be a battle. There are never any guarantees when it comes to addictions. However, there is one thing of which I can assure you and that is that every single one of us will support you. We ALL understand how it feels to be addicted to something.

    Judgement is neither helpful nor acceptable so we have none on this forum. I’m open about everything too, like Teresa but we also respect anyone’s decision to keep things private.

    You are amazing!

    Doodah x

    #52750
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @Paul-H 32295 wrote:

    The trouble with addictions is that we don’t ever actually beat them, if we are lucky we learn to control them but they don’t ever really go away.

    In my case other Thant the obvious food addiction I used to have a 100 a day cigaret habit, which in my case I finally got control of the day Denis Healy put them up to a £1 a packet, so that was the early eighties and even after all these years I still catch myself staring at them in the news agents, mind you I cannot believe how anyone can now spend around £8 a packet.

    Some additions are easier than others to get some control over as you can just stop using whatever you are addicted to, be it Alcohol, Drugs, Cigarets, etc but some are harder as you have to use to a much smaller amount, like food. Not saying that giving up any addiction is easy though.

    Well done to anyone that now have control of there own demons we all know how hard it is, just don’t swap one addiction for another, as that’s so easy to do as well.

    Paul

    Flippin heck Paul! A hundred a day!? How on earth did you manage it?

    My Mum says she is a ‘non-smoking smoker’. I think that is an excellent way of describing that particular addiction.

    Well done for giving up and staying smoke free. No mean feat 😉

    Doodah x

    #52751
    Lauren
    Keymaster

    @treeza 32297 wrote:

    That’s great Chris I just wanted to be sure. I think sometimes we have to be open with our struggles in order to move forward although I know it’s not for everyone & it’s their choice. I have told anyone & everyone about my weight loss surgery. If they don’t like it tough. It’s my life not theirs! I really admire you. Giving up smoking exactly 1 year ago was tough enough. Take care x

    ‘You go girl’ as our American cousins would say!

    It is not easy to give up smoking AND watching what you eat at the same time. I’m completely open about my surgery too and I feel like you – it’s my life and if you don’t like it then jog on haha!

    Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search Forums

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media