Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

The beginning of the rest of my life

Home » Topics » Welcome to Streamline Surgical » Introductions to Weight Loss Chat Forum » The beginning of the rest of my life

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Nettie

Hi everone, I’ve been watching the forum for a couple of weeks now and thought it was high time I was polite and said hello. :yo:
    I’ve just booked my banding with Chris for 29th July and have the normal excited/aprhensive feelings going on which seems quite common pre op. Thanks to you guys at least I’ll have people to talk to about it.
    I look forward to becoming one of the family xx

ruby tuesday

Congratulations Nettie on making the decision and going ahead, I think at least then we can set our mind to how things are going to be, instead of just wondering whether we should have surgery! Where is your surgery booked for? I hope you are able to attend a support group – so helpful. Welcome, and best wishes to you. x

Nettie

Thanks Ruby, I’m having my op at Spire Gatwick Park and I was just looking to see if there is a support group close to me although I would be willing to travel. I’ve just been looking through the forum there is so much to read but don’t want to read the negative posts!
    xx

ruby tuesday

Well, not sure and rubbish at Geography but there is a Boramwood (spelt wrong) support group which I think is the near London one, so that may be your nearest? Very few negative posts Nettie, so trawl away! Everyone does have different experiences, but post are usually asking questions about how to deal with various reactions to food, rather than the my friend had this done and …. type!!

I am pre-op so anything I have picked up has been from research and meeting people who have had or who are just about to have surgery, and it has helped me to feel more prepared.

Best wishes, lots of nice people on here to get to know. xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Nettie

I think there are several support groups you could go to if you don’t mind travelling a bit. They are all listed on here so have a wee look. Ruby is absolutely right, they are a great rescource of helpful, knowledgable people who become close friends. I love the people I’ve met!

Chris Pring is an excellent surgeon so you have absolutely no worries there (they are all trained the same exceedingly high standard.) I’m 3 years post op (bypass) and have never once regretted having it done. It’s not easy – nothing worth having in life ever is – but it’s totally do-able. I’ve lost 15st so you can imagine how different my life is now!!

This really is the place to get info, sound off, celebrate your success and make new friends. WELCOME!!

Doodah x

Ms Ellie

Hi there nettie congratulations on getting your appointment for wls. As doodah has said mr pring is as all the other streamline surgeons are all part of a wonderful and dedicated team. You mention about the negative posts, I always believe that whilst it can be a worry I still feel it’s important to know the good and the bad about wls surgery, however most of us on here have all had great experiences and have successful weight loss, even the people who have had complications still tell us that they have no regrets!!

Attending a support group is definitely a must, I’ve been to several and have always found the groups very supportive and full of knowledgeable people.

I will see if I can find the support group list and contact info and will post this on here.

Good luck

Ellie x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hear Hear Ms Ellie!!

Support groups are a total lifeline. I never considered myself to be a forum or support group ‘type’ being very self-sufficient and aware, however, I absolutely LOVE both the forum and the support groups I attend. I have made some fabulous new friends and know I have support whenever I need it. I can also help others which is just as important!

So, Welcome Nettie, pull up a chair and get comfy xx

Doodah x

Renn

Welcome Nettie

I wish you well on your future op. This forum is amazing as you’ve found as patients are at all different stages from recent newbies, even pre-op, like yor buddy Ruby Tuesday right through to Doodah at 3 years out a very knowledgeable patient. People speak from the heart on here and it will be great for you to have their first hand knowledge of life after bypass…pros and cons but the truth. I’m personally 14 mths out and am happy with the outcome of my op. See my website too at Obesity Weight Consultant for Southampton I Weight Management Programme for West Sussex I Lifestyle Weight Consultant for Portsmouth

Regards Madeleine (Renn)

Nettie

Thanks to all, I have looked at the support groups and I’m really pleased that I have 2 to choose from both very local to me, I now just have to summon up the courage to go along!! xx

ruby tuesday

That’s great Nettie, so glad Miss Ellie posted a list of all the groups as I only knew about the two near me. Yep, I had to pluck up courage too, but it is sooo worth it, I really encourage you to just go. You will meet people who relate to any food issue problems you may have, and who can answer questions, and support you as you go through the surgery process. I totally agree with Doodah, not a support group person normally, nor have I ever used any forum, facebook etc, but trust me, you will make new friends going through what you are! xx

@Nettie 16455 wrote:

Thanks Ruby, I’m having my op at Spire Gatwick Park and I was just looking to see if there is a support group close to me although I would be willing to travel. I’ve just been looking through the forum there is so much to read but don’t want to read the negative posts!
    xx

Congratulations Nettie on making your life changing decsion
    Without doubt my bypass IS THE VERY BEST THING I COULD HAVE DONE FOR MY HEALTH
    re-not reading negative posts
    THERE AREN’T ANY – ONLY PEOPLES TRUE EXPERIENCES and we are ALL DIFFERENT
    So what happens to one does not nessacarily happen to other’s and vice versa
    I f someone post a heartfelt post even if I may not like or agree with it
    I dont EVER think it’s negative as how can it be if it has happened to tat person and they are simply reporting it to try to make others aware???
    Either way I hope your wlJourney is ”positive” all the way
    I shall watch your progess with interest
    all the very best xxx

Gayle

Hi Where abouts did you find the list of support groups? I just can’t seem to find them 🙁 Good luck with your op I’m having my bypass next wednesday argh!!! X

ruby tuesday

Miss Ellie posted a thread recently listing all the support groups which you may have seen by now, but look out for it if not.

Nettie

Well well well, one year exactly after starting this thread as a nervous pre bandster I reached my first goal weight, the weight I said I would be ecstatic to reach!!! I’m sat here in my size 14 skinny jeans telling you all I’ve done it.

Reading the thread has made me laugh, I have come so far in just a year thanks to a wonderfull team at Streamline and a wonderfull group of friends on this forum, thank you so much to everyone that has supported me you have all been my inspiration and at times my life line, I love you all.

Sorry to be so gushy but I am so so so happy.

Nettie xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Nettie

It has been my privilege to watch you grow (or rather shrink) with confidence on this forum. You have now become a much valued and loved stalwart to whom many people can turn for support and advice.

Well done indeed on your totally fantastic achievement.

Doodah xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media