Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

The answer to our prayers?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Stevia: First natural sugar substitute ‘could help fight obesity and diabetes’ | Mail Online

Hi Guys

If this is true and the research is bona fide, then I’m off to buy some. I have a terribly sweet tooth and still have to sweeten my tea. I have tried for many, many years to go without it but can’t (although I can perfectly well with coffee!) This may just be the one thing I may be able to use without the nasty side effects I get with aspartame. More research by yours truly to follow……

Doodah x

Gill123

How did you find this sugar substitute Doodah? Was it any good?

Gill

Paul-H
    Participant

Don’t worry give it time, they will soon find out this new one is just as bad as all the others. 😉

Nothing wrong with good old sugar in moderation, what is it about 10 calories a spoonful, unless you are diabetic or consume a huge amount in addition the huge amount that is hidden in your food and drink good old sugar is fine.

Billingtons Golden Granulated for me please 😉

Paul

emma1975

Hi all.
    Stevia is a totally natural substance made from the leaves of the stevia plant. It’s totally safe& has none of the nasty effects aspartame & other artificial or ‘chemical’ sweetners. It’s been used safely in the USA for many years. It’s been illegal to sell it here until only a couple of years ago, completely illogically however as it was a simple licensing issue.
    Its bad points are that some companies still ‘process’ it so it’s not as natural as it could be & as with any artificial sweetner you are still ‘tricking’ your brain into thinking you’ve had sugar so there are potential issues (there’s limited research being done now). The other thing with it is that it still tastes like sweetner so it does put some people off. It is zero calories & carbs.
    Personally, i try to avoid sugar (max 25g a day & that’s hard to do!) I choose to replace it with xylitol, it’s made from pine bark, so it’s also natural & it tastes & looks exactly like sugar. It does have a mild laxative effect so moderating it is advisable. It also still contains carbs like sugar but unlike sugar it actually promotes strong teeth.
    Whatever you choose, moderation is the way forward. Even some bad things are good for you in moderation & some good things are bad for you in excess. But no matter which way you look at things aspartame is bad bad bad!
    Hope this helps you guys!

Lauren
    Keymaster

I hated Stevia and now use Xylitol with no adverse side effects.

I drink about 20 cups of tea a day so cutting back on sugar to save my teeth has now become an absolute necessity. I have lost 4 teeth in the last 6 years and currently have two with abscesses that are being treated with antibiotics and root canal work. I too used to agree with Paul about sugar but have paid a heavy price.

I haven’t switched to save calories but my teeth! It is all down to personal choice in the end. I don’t count calories and never have.

Doodah x

ps aspartame is the devil’s work!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media