Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Symptoms may be masking something else

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    katy

Hi all
    I thought I’d start this thread and hope it is useful. I have been suffering from extreme tiredness, constipation and hair loss over the last few weeks. I just put it down to the bypass I had on the 5th march and so have been living with these symptoms and not worrying about it too much.
    I went to see the nurse at my gp surgery last week for routine bloods (I was hypertensive) and a smear and was worried when my gp called me in on Friday to discuss my results.
    It turns out I have an under active thyroid and all of the symptoms I described fit with this picture. I have to have more bloods in 6 weeks then probably start on thyroxine for life!
    The reason I wanted to put this on here is that had I not had these bloods done, I would never have gone to the gp and as a result the symptoms that I assumed were bypass related were actually masking something slightly more sinister.
    I hope, once I start treatment that I will have a bit more energy and feel a bit better but I just wanted to say that if something is bothering you, don’t always assume it is bypass related and get it checked out!
    Love
    Katy x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@katy 23609 wrote:

Hi all
    I thought I’d start this thread and hope it is useful. I have been suffering from extreme tiredness, constipation and hair loss over the last few weeks. I just put it down to the bypass I had on the 5th march and so have been living with these symptoms and not worrying about it too much.
    I went to see the nurse at my gp surgery last week for routine bloods (I was hypertensive) and a smear and was worried when my gp called me in on Friday to discuss my results.
    It turns out I have an under active thyroid and all of the symptoms I described fit with this picture. I have to have more bloods in 6 weeks then probably start on thyroxine for life!
    The reason I wanted to put this on here is that had I not had these bloods done, I would never have gone to the gp and as a result the symptoms that I assumed were bypass related were actually masking something slightly more sinister.
    I hope, once I start treatment that I will have a bit more energy and feel a bit better but I just wanted to say that if something is bothering you, don’t always assume it is bypass related and get it checked out!
    Love
    Katy x

Thank you SO MUCH for posting this thread Katy.

We are all guilty of thinking wls accounts for any strange symptoms we may have, especially in the early days. My Sister takes Thyroxine for life as endocrine problems are a feature of my family’s health unfortunately. I have been tested every year as a result (and diabetes)

This forum is a magnificent provider of support and encouragement as well as brilliant advice like yours . Thank you.

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Katy,
    I had my blood tested every time I went to see the dietician so I could take the results down with me, as I no longer have to see her she told me to have my bloods done once a year and to fix a date in my head for that, so I picked my re- birthday, the day I was born again, the day of my bypass, had it done this year and all ok so fingers crossed that it stays that way. As for hair loss that is quite normal after bypass and I lost an enormous amount, though I had really thick hair before the op and as my hairdresser said I didn’t really miss it as it brought my hair to a normal level, though it was very worrying at the the time. It growing back now and is beginning to thicken out again and where I keep it short at the back that is back to pre op thickness, the rest now just needs to catch up.
    Elaine xx

shelleymarie

Thanks for posting Katy, I was having a think about this the other day that it would be good idea to be aware that maybe other things can happen that might not be related to the bypass. About the under active thyroid, obviously it’s no great but I’ve known a couple of people of thyroxine and they have felt much better once they adjust to taking it, also weight loss can be a side affect. Obviously no one wants to have to take thyroxine but if you have to at least that is one side effect that isn’t too bad. Hope you are feeling better soon x

Doodah
    Keymaster

My Sister changed dramatically once she started taking it – for the better. She is still like a bear with a sore head in the mornings after she takes her tablet, until she gets something to eat. Any endocrine disorder is life changing so getting it under control is a huge weight off the shoulders as well as the body!

Doodah x

hazelann70

One good part is that if you’re on Thyroxin you now get your prescriptions for free (or that’s how it used to be). My sister takes it now. She had cancer 12 years ago and those meds weren’t exempt!! Soon as she had to go onto the Thyroxin, she got free scripts. Work that one out!! She’s not got cancer again and only has about 3 years to live and so it hardly matters any more 🙁

Doodah
    Keymaster

@hazelann70 23645 wrote:

One good part is that if you’re on Thyroxin you now get your prescriptions for free (or that’s how it used to be). My sister takes it now. She had cancer 12 years ago and those meds weren’t exempt!! Soon as she had to go onto the Thyroxin, she got free scripts. Work that one out!! She’s not got cancer again and only has about 3 years to live and so it hardly matters any more 🙁

Speechless. How wrong the NHS can get it 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media