Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Surgery in 3 weeks

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » Surgery in 3 weeks

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lex
    Participant

Hi everyone.

So my surgery is booked in for 3 weeks time and the apprehension has started to overcome me.

Any tips for trying to help me through the next few weeks and beyond?

Thanks.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi lex and welcome to our friendly forum.

Firstly, I’m SO excited for you! Secondly, it’s absolutely normal to feel apprehensive. In fact, if you didn’t, I would worry.

When you start your pre op diet, keep this thought in your mind – you have already started your weight loss journey. It’s tough, but it’s not the toughest thing you will ever do. It will prepare your body and mind for the actual wls.

Out of interest, what surgery are you having and with whom? I had a gastric bypass almost eight years ago at St Richard’s in Chichester with Shaw Somers and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done, after getting married and having my children! I did it for ME. I’m not going to lie, it’s not easy. But it will be worth it. You will feel healthier, happier and will find yourself thinking ‘Why didn’t I do this before?’

I would say, take each day at a time in the early days post surgery. Allow yourself to be your main priority: it will benefit everyone who cares about you by ‘proxy’ so to speak. Don’t ever compare yourself to anyone else. You are unique. Follow the guidelines your team will give you. Also, share your feelings with others – both negative and positive. This forum was a godsend to me after my surgery.

My most important bit of advice is – be kind to yourself. Be as kind to you as you are to everyone else. None of us are perfect and we bad days do happen: we are only human right?

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are getting on. I’m so excited for you 🙂

Doodah x

lex
    Participant

Hi Doodah!

Thanks for replying.

So I have my surgery with Mr Slater and I am having Bypass. I am feeling quite unprepared, maybe it just my way of not having to think about it too much. I am so excited for what my future will bring but I am also so nervous. I cannot wait for “fat” not being a descriptor used for me and to be able to run around with my young children…

I think that I am putting too much pressure on myself to be back to normal soon after the surgery as I don’t want to let people down. I will absolutely take your advice to allow myself to be my own priority and not let myself down!

XXX

Lauren
    Keymaster

Remember this Lex, although you are doing this for you – your entire family will benefit. They won’t expect you to be a superhero and be fighting fit after a short while, so let your children see it as a process: It’s hard work, we keep going, we make mistakes, we fall, we pick ourselves up, we start again and we never stop trying. That is what a superhero does!

I really am excited for you! 😀

Doodah x

• This reply was modified 5 years, 4 months ago by Lauren. Reason: typo
    simonpoole1978
    Participant

Hi Lex

I’m due to have the same op with the same surgeon but I’m a little behind you (wanted to squeeze in a holiday first). I’m due for my op on September 15th.

I started my journey back in January this year and still feel unprepared even though I’m not I’ve researched and read just about everything I can get my hands on. Doodah was kind enough to recommend a couple of books well worth a read.

I think it’s normal to feel overwhelmed as this is a huge thing we are undertaking but we need to keep focuses on the positives of how we will feel this time next year and how we will look etc…

For me I’m looking forward to not pouring with sweat every 5 minutes and to be able to go on holiday and swim in the pool and take my shirt off.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media