Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Surgery all booked

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป The Gastric Bypass Operation ยป Surgery all booked

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    simonpoole1978
    Participant

So I’ve done it. I’ve booked my surgery for 15th September (would have been earlier if not for a holiday booked in July).

I started looking into the band and bypass back last year and despite all the research I can’t help feeling under prepared for what I’m undertaking. Did anyone else feel like that?

I haven’t met with the dietitian yet (pre op at end of Aug) and I’m hoping that will help me feel a bit more prepared.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@simonpoole1978 34973 wrote:

So I’ve done it. I’ve booked my surgery for 15th September (would have been earlier if not for a holiday booked in July).

I started looking into the band and bypass back last year and despite all the research I can’t help feeling under prepared for what I’m undertaking. Did anyone else feel like that?

I haven’t met with the dietitian yet (pre op at end of Aug) and I’m hoping that will help me feel a bit more prepared.

Woo Hoo! I’m SO excited for you, Simon!

Of course you are going to feel underprepared and overwhelmed – we all do/did. I would be worried that you haven’t thought about it enough if you didn’t feel a bit worried.

Your new team will take you through it step by step and will also answer any questions you may have. So, take a tip from an old timer and write them all down to take with you. Asking questions in the early stages will make things so much easier for you after surgery. There is nothing too small to ask either – believe me, someone will have already asked it before you.

For me, because I knew I was in such good hands, my main worries were how I was going to feel mentally, post surgery. I healed beautifully and quickly so there were no problems, even though I had an open bypass and had my gallbladder out at the same time. However, even though I had three years of therapy prior to my bypass, I wasn’t quite prepared for the mental and emotional changes.

I had to give up my best friend – food. I’m not going to lie to you, it was tough. My first Christmas was very hard. But my lovely Mum had made me all my favourite bariatric friendly foods (she researched everything and asked loads of questions, bless her little heart) that the rest of my family were rather jealous of haha. It was at that moment that I realised that, actually, food wasn’t my best friend but the enemy.

Anyway, getting ahead of myself there! Your team will take care of you at every stage. They welcome loads of questions and are always at the end of the phone. In the meantime, I found these books invaluable:

Products | Bariatric Cookery

This plate (I still use it every day):

Bariatric Portion Plate | | Bariatric Cookery

And finally, this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cut-Down-Size-Jenny-Radcliffe/dp/0415683777

I have all the items myself and lend them out to support group members as and when they need them.

I truly am so pleased for you. I know it’s going to be hard work but you are going to look and feel fantastic. We are all here to help you every step of the way. Keep researching, keep asking questions and get as healthy as you can before your surgery.

Doodah x

simonpoole1978
    Participant

Thanks Doodah. I’ve gone and ordered all those now ๐Ÿ™‚

I guess I’m just a little ‘freaked out’ by this big decision that’s all. Also it seems that the routes differ for private and bus patients in that the nhs patients go through the multi discipline team first so they get a fair bit of contact whereas private patients meet the surgeon and the that’s it until the pre op appointment.

I’m just looking for problems where there aren’t any.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@simonpoole1978 34976 wrote:

Thanks Doodah. I’ve gone and ordered all those now ๐Ÿ™‚

I guess I’m just a little ‘freaked out’ by this big decision that’s all. Also it seems that the routes differ for private and bus patients in that the nhs patients go through the multi discipline team first so they get a fair bit of contact whereas private patients meet the surgeon and the that’s it until the pre op appointment.

I’m just looking for problems where there aren’t any.

I think you are simply being pragmatic and thorough. Check your package to see what exactly is included. If you can, I would suggest attending a support group before and after surgery. They are an invaluable source of information of the first hand kind! I used to travel up to Harrow and back (from the South Coast) every month to attend a support group because I found it so useful. I then started one down here in Portsmouth. I am still learning new things every month from the other members!

Anyway, I don’t think you are just looking for problems, I think you are being very sensible and considering every eventuality. You will be ready for anything ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media