Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Surgery 4th July!!

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป Pre- Weight Loss Surgery ยป Surgery 4th July!!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    kellyb

My employer has said I can’t take anytime off in August! Due to someone on holiday and another on maternity !
    I’m having to use my holiday allowance ! So I was thinking 3 days sick with hospital sick note and then 17 days holiday which make 4 weeks off ! But I have to call my boss every 2 weeks to discus my time off !!

Are you coming from far to have the surgery ? x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@kellyb 34030 wrote:

My employer has said I can’t take anytime off in August! Due to someone on holiday and another on maternity !
    I’m having to use my holiday allowance ! So I was thinking 3 days sick with hospital sick note and then 17 days holiday which make 4 weeks off ! But I have to call my boss every 2 weeks to discus my time off !!

Your boss sounds a real gem – NOT! Do what is right for you. Your employers are not allowed to contact you about work if you are signed off. You contacting them is up to you ๐Ÿ˜‰

I had an open bypass (10cm scar) and my gallbladder removed at the same time and I was ok after about 6 weeks. However, I didn’t work at a physically demanding job. We are all unique, as are our circumstances. Your length of time off has to suit YOU – no-one else ๐Ÿ˜‰

ps Eeeeeek it’s all getting so exciting on here again! I love this bit. All we ‘wls old timers’ do as we know how much your lives are going to change for the better. I’m so excited, I need to get myself a brew now haha!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Is that even legal, to force you to use holiday? If you’re supported by a sick note, that should cover it. I know they don’t have to pay you, depends on your contract of employment, but you’ll get SSP.

My employer was really supportive. I had2 weeks off, then a week on half hours and a week on 3/4 hours before going back full time. And they let me dictate those terms. Was fine for me.

Chris x

Lelly

@kellyb 34030 wrote:

Oh no, no, no I was told that the hospital will give you your sick note, You may need to request it and then I was told to make an appointment with my GP for further sick note, do not take holiday my lovely, you are off sick, how bad is that. If you are signed off, you are signed off and holiday does not come into it. You need to change your employer, what a rat!
    …..and breathe. Yes quite a long way, live in Kent.

Lelly xx

kellyb

SSP isn’t enough to cover bills etc , as I’m single , just depend on myself, I know I can do SSP but instead of loosing money , I’ll have to use my holiday , im entitled to 10 days paid sick but I’ve had 3 days alreDy this year leaving me 7 , I tried to ask if I can have the first 7 as sick as the hospital did say they give yellow sick note & then use my holiday , but ,y boss said don’t worry we ll sort it out after !!
    I’m worrying as I worry.
    As for them saying I can’t have anytime off in August ! I’ve checked and Bypass is classed as elective surgery ! So apparently they can say that , but my doctor said under medical act obesity and depression is an illness so they can’t !
    I’ll have to see how I get on ?

How far away is Kent time wise ? Are there support groups there ?

Are you going to come to the holiday inn groups in gunwarf ?

Kelly x

kellyb

I’ve just finished reading all my info papers the hospital gave me !
    Starting to get really nervous now ! I’m I doing the right thing !
    4 Pints of milk to go
    Not sure which ward I’ll be on either 1 lot of paper work said D7 and the pre op nurse said G5

Is my iPhone and iPad safe if I take them ?

Lelly

@kellyb 34038 wrote:

4 Pints of milk to go
    Not sure which ward I’ll be on either 1 lot of paper work said D7 and the pre op nurse said G5

You will be fine, of course you have made the right decision, nerves are so normal, some days my tum feels like it’s doing a fast spin cycle of a washing machine. This will change your life and that of your family, the old you will return as we all change when we get fat. Why not phone your contact at the hospital and ask pet. You are so close, so happy for you, please keep us posted lovely lady.

Lelly x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@kellyb 34038 wrote:

4 Pints of milk to go

If you were not worried or nervous, I would think you hadn’t thought about wls carefully enough!

Phone the team and ask for answers to any questions you may have. Your personal belongings will be taken care of whilst you are in surgery. Make sure you leave a contact number so that your family will know which ward you will be on then get someone to text it to everyone. You won’t be in for long anyway – wls had moved on so much since I had mine done! I was in for three days as I had an open bypass not laparoscopic one. My gallbladder was removed at the same time and I still went home after three days! I was up having a shower after 24 hours even with two sticks and a catheter – they really like to get you moving as soon as possible. That suited me perfectly as I am the most impatient patient haha!

Four pints to go!! I’m going to start measuring time by pints haha! You will have some lovely weather in which to recuperate! I’m so excited for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

kellyb

Thank you for all the support everyone xx

It’s surgery day !!! Eeeeekkkkkkk ! Now the day has come it feels unreal at the moment ! But I’m sure when I get to the hospital the reality will hit me !
    I’m glad to hear your were able to shower 24 hours after Doodah ! As I’ll also be keen to do so !!

I found out Mr B Knight will by my surgeon , I think I know which ward I’ll be on but they said it will depend on the beds on the day !

My little bags packed 8 knickers , nightie , pjs , leggings , t shirt , a dressing gown and slippers ! Toiletries , charger , kindle & phone ! I hope that’s everything ! And I’ve got enough knickers !!!
    Kelly

Lelly

@kellyb 34049 wrote:

Thank you for all the support everyone xx

It’s surgery day !!! Eeeeekkkkkkk ! Now the day has come it feels unreal at the moment ! But I’m sure when I get to the hospital the reality will hit me !
    I’m glad to hear your were able to shower 24 hours after Doodah ! As I’ll also be keen to do so !!

I found out Mr B Knight will by my surgeon , I think I know which ward I’ll be on but they said it will depend on the beds on the day !

My little bags packed 8 knickers , nightie , pjs , leggings , t shirt , a dressing gown and slippers ! Toiletries , charger , kindle & phone ! I hope that’s everything ! And I’ve got enough knickers !!!
    Kelly

So happy for you Kelly, looking forward to hearing from you, happy days! xx

kellyb

Hi it’s all done , I’m a bit overwhelmed ! I woke up from the anaesthetic say OMG OMG what have I done ๐Ÿ™ , I was sick , wee d myself :(, hot & in a lot of pain ๐Ÿ™ !
    Today no longer in as much pain just tender and feeling anxious , not feeling hungry at all !
    Might be going home today , having a sloppy meal today first !
    But surgery went well I’ve been getting from relatives ie you got yourself in this position ! You couldnt loose , you decided on this operation ! I wouldn’t have had it ! Blah blah ? ๐Ÿ™

bikerchris
    Participant

Congratulations and welcome to the new you. There’ll be ups and downs ahead but if you stick to the guidelines, you’ll be fine. I had a lot of pain post op but it really was just the first few days. Just remember, plenty of sips of water (particularly as it is hot weather), lots of little walks and tiny blended meals. Go you!

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@kellyb 34051 wrote:

Hi it’s all done , I’m a bit overwhelmed ! I woke up from the anaesthetic say OMG OMG what have I done ๐Ÿ™ , I was sick , wee d myself :(, hot & in a lot of pain ๐Ÿ™ !
    Today no longer in as much pain just tender and feeling anxious , not feeling hungry at all !
    Might be going home today , having a sloppy meal today first !
    But surgery went well I’ve been getting from relatives ie you got yourself in this position ! You couldnt loose , you decided on this operation ! I wouldn’t have had it ! Blah blah �� ๐Ÿ™

When you are lighter, healthier and happier, you can look your doubters straight in the eye and say ‘I did this FOR myself’!! I’m so glad everything went ok. How are you feeling this morning? Each day gets easier I can promise you that!

Shove up everyone – another loser coming to sit on the bench ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

kellyb

Thank you doodah and Chris

I ve chucked up my wheetabix , as I tried to eat it but I could never stomach the stuff ! And because I chucked it up I had a little panic !
    Then I gave myself my first injection ! And just had a shower and washed my hair , I feel slightly better for it , can you give me other ideas for breakfast as I really don’t like wheetabix , porridge or custard

Thanks kelly x

bikerchris
    Participant

Try natural yoghurt, sugar free obv. Good for protein and calcium. Add a teaspoon of pureed apple or mashed banana when you are sure you can tolerate it

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media