Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Surgery 19th November – Emotional

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » Surgery 19th November – Emotional

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    flabulous

@Doodah 26177 wrote:

How lucky am I to come back to see all these amazing success stories!! I LOVE my job.

Doodah xx

Hi Doodah.
    I see loads of your posts in the forum and you seem to have lost soooooooo much weight?? Congratulations!! Amazing accomplishment!! Would you mind sharing your story with me?
    Sylvie xxx

flabulous

@lynne903 26241 wrote:

Yes it is. Have to be at hospital at 6.45 as I’m 1st in the list. Have to get up at 5.15! At least it’ll be over and done with early. How you getting on with your pre op diet? x

Hi Lynne.
    Delighted to hear from you as was thinking of you and Kerrie (had her band today) earlier. It’s fantastic you’ll be done early and then have the rest of the day to relax and catch up with rest. I’m so excited for you!! Imagine the last day of your old life and tomorrow is literally the start of a whole new you! So excited for you!! When you can let us know how you do. Will be thinking of you loads tomorrow….get a good rest and go for it girl…you rock!! xxxxxxxx

flabulous

@lynne903 26241 wrote:

Yes it is. Have to be at hospital at 6.45 as I’m 1st in the list. Have to get up at 5.15! At least it’ll be over and done with early. How you getting on with your pre op diet? x

Hi Lynne.
    Delighted to hear from you as was thinking of you and Kerrie (had her band today) earlier. It’s fantastic you’ll be done early and then have the rest of the day to relax and catch up with rest. I’m so excited for you!! Imagine the last day of your old life and tomorrow is literally the start of a whole new you! So excited for you!! When you can let us know how you do. Will be thinking of you loads tomorrow….get a good rest and go for it girl…you rock!! xxxxxxxx

flabulous

@flabulous 26236 wrote:

Hi Lynne.
    Is it tomorrow your op is??
    Xxx

Thinking bout you xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@flabulous 26247 wrote:

Hi Doodah.
    I see loads of your posts in the forum and you seem to have lost soooooooo much weight?? Congratulations!! Amazing accomplishment!! Would you mind sharing your story with me?
    Sylvie xxx

Hi Sylvie

Well, most people on here know that I had my bypass four years ago with Mr Somers at St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester. I had an open bypass as he wanted to remove my gallbladder at the same time so I had a 10cm scar instead of the 5 little ones when it’s done laproscopically.

I was over 26st and my BMI was 64. I was incredibly unhealthy, completely disabled (wheelchair or mobility scooter) and had possibly 3-5 years to live if my weight wasn’t brought under control. As I was 48 years old, that scared the living daylights out of me! I wanted to see any grandchildren my own kids might have, wanted to celebrate my 50th birthday but most of all, I didn’t want my parents to have to attend my funeral.

So, I had the bypass on 17 July 2008 and and was home 3 days later. Hardly any pain at all and amazed at how little food I needed to feel full. Over the next year I lost a stone a month by sticking to the guidelines rigidly. The other 5 stone took about 7 months. I have maintained my weight loss and never looked back.

After marrying the love of my life in 1982 and having my children, it is the best thing I have ever done. My only regret is that I didn’t have it done sooner. I now have the same life expectancy as everyone else and I work for the surgeon who saved my life. I have made some of my best friends through my work and support groups and in August this year I made my first ever long haul flight to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary – in the Maldives. I swam every day and wore shorts!!!

The Streamline team didn’t just save my life – they gave me a better one. I can never, ever thank them enough. I feel so strongly that wls should be available for everyone who needs it and that the media need to ditch this idea that it is in some way a ‘cheat’s’ way of losing weight. It takes hard work, personal responsibility, determination and the support of family and friends (both online and in ‘real life’) to make it work for life. I think they key to it is sticking to the guidlines in the beginning. They are there to help us find a new way of dealing with food. I also had three years of therapy beforehand so that I could understand why I used food to self medicate when I was depressed.

So that’s my story in a nutshell Sylvia. Feel free to ask me anything you like as I’m totally public about my surgery. I have just had my excess stomach skin removed so I’m still on my ‘journey’ and more than willing to share it. I always tell the truth and never flower things up!!

Doodah x

flabulous

@Doodah 26265 wrote:

Hi Sylvie

Well, most people on here know that I had my bypass four years ago with Mr Somers at St Richard’s Hospital, Chichester. I had an open bypass as he wanted to remove my gallbladder at the same time so I had a 10cm scar instead of the 5 little ones when it’s done laproscopically.

I was over 26st and my BMI was 64. I was incredibly unhealthy, completely disabled (wheelchair or mobility scooter) and had possibly 3-5 years to live if my weight wasn’t brought under control. As I was 48 years old, that scared the living daylights out of me! I wanted to see any grandchildren my own kids might have, wanted to celebrate my 50th birthday but most of all, I didn’t want my parents to have to attend my funeral.

So, I had the bypass on 17 July 2008 and and was home 3 days later. Hardly any pain at all and amazed at how little food I needed to feel full. Over the next year I lost a stone a month by sticking to the guidelines rigidly. The other 5 stone took about 7 months. I have maintained my weight loss and never looked back.

After marrying the love of my life in 1982 and having my children, it is the best thing I have ever done. My only regret is that I didn’t have it done sooner. I now have the same life expectancy as everyone else and I work for the surgeon who saved my life. I have made some of my best friends through my work and support groups and in August this year I made my first ever long haul flight to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary – in the Maldives. I swam every day and wore shorts!!!

The Streamline team didn’t just save my life – they gave me a better one. I can never, ever thank them enough. I feel so strongly that wls should be available for everyone who needs it and that the media need to ditch this idea that it is in some way a ‘cheat’s’ way of losing weight. It takes hard work, personal responsibility, determination and the support of family and friends (both online and in ‘real life’) to make it work for life. I think they key to it is sticking to the guidlines in the beginning. They are there to help us find a new way of dealing with food. I also had three years of therapy beforehand so that I could understand why I used food to self medicate when I was depressed.

So that’s my story in a nutshell Sylvia. Feel free to ask me anything you like as I’m totally public about my surgery. I have just had my excess stomach skin removed so I’m still on my ‘journey’ and more than willing to share it. I always tell the truth and never flower things up!!

Doodah x

Hi Doodah.
    I have such a range of emotions reading your story. I’m so happy yours is such a wonderful ending. How much in total have you lost? I have about 8 stones to lose for me to get to a healthy bmi. Thank you so much for sharing your story. You truly are an inspiration. Xxxc

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi again

Thank you so much for being so kind!

I have lost just over 15st. Being a little shorty, my BMI is at the uppermost level for a healthy BMI but I’m absolutely thrilled with where I am today. Shaw Somers once said to me ‘Sue, what can you do with BMI of 25 that you can’t with one of 26?’ How true is that?!

Streamline’s team ask patients to aim for a healthy weight, not an ideal one. I think that is singularly the most sensible thing I’ve ever heard. We can all get ‘hung up’ on the numbers when it’s pointless really. There are people with BMIs of 23 who are really unhealthy and others with a BMI of 30 running marathons! For the record, at his supreme best, Linford Christie’s BMI was calculated to be around 35 – obese! However, it doesn’t take into account that all his extra weight was lean muscle. Therefore, BMI is not always the best guage.

I didn’t set myself a goal as such because I just wanted to be alive. The fact that I am a hair’s breadth from having a ‘normal’ BMI now is just a bonus and one for which I shall be eternally grateful to the Streamline team.

You will get there. If you stay focused, do your best, follow the guidelines and trust the surgery, it will happen. We are all here to help you along the way.

Doodah xx

natalieyoung

Hi flabulous I am being banded on Saturday in Dublin. Where are you having your op

flabulous

@natalieyoung 26308 wrote:

Hi flabulous I am being banded on Saturday in Dublin. Where are you having your op

Hi Natalie.
    Great to hear from you 🙂 I’m on Monday so you’ll beat me to it 🙂 Will send you pm now with details 🙂
    S xxx

natalieyoung

Hi ya flabulous yes it would be great to keep in touch as we are both in Ireland I will pm you my number if you have any questions x

flabulous

@natalieyoung 26503 wrote:

Hi ya flabulous yes it would be great to keep in touch as we are both in Ireland I will pm you my number if you have any questions x

Thanks so much 🙂
    Would love that too! I’ve just sent you a text 🙂 x

flabulous

@Doodah 26302 wrote:

Hi again

Thank you so much for being so kind!

I have lost just over 15st. Being a little shorty, my BMI is at the uppermost level for a healthy BMI but I’m absolutely thrilled with where I am today. Shaw Somers once said to me ‘Sue, what can you do with BMI of 25 that you can’t with one of 26?’ How true is that?!

Streamline’s team ask patients to aim for a healthy weight, not an ideal one. I think that is singularly the most sensible thing I’ve ever heard. We can all get ‘hung up’ on the numbers when it’s pointless really. There are people with BMIs of 23 who are really unhealthy and others with a BMI of 30 running marathons! For the record, at his supreme best, Linford Christie’s BMI was calculated to be around 35 – obese! However, it doesn’t take into account that all his extra weight was lean muscle. Therefore, BMI is not always the best guage.

I didn’t set myself a goal as such because I just wanted to be alive. The fact that I am a hair’s breadth from having a ‘normal’ BMI now is just a bonus and one for which I shall be eternally grateful to the Streamline team.

You will get there. If you stay focused, do your best, follow the guidelines and trust the surgery, it will happen. We are all here to help you along the way.

Doodah xx

Doodah,
    You truly are amazing and an inspiration! So sorry for delay in reply and thank you so much for taking the time to chat to me about your experience xxxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

It is absolutely my pleasure. I have become somewhat ‘evangilical’ about how wonderful wls is as it not only saved my life but gave me back an even better one! I would shout it from the rooftops – If I were not scared of heights lol!

Doodah x

@flabulous 26067 wrote:

Hi everyone.
    I am being banded on the 19th November after years of battling my weight and ending up with health problems as a result. I’m 35 years old yet feeling years older as I’m exhausted from dragging myself around. My partner and I spent some time trying to have a baby and last year I was told due to my pcos that it would never happen. We rescued a very badly abused dog and threw our energies into him and I was pregnant weeks later 🙂 The pregnancy was very tough and uncertain but our beautiful daughter arrived this year and we feel incredibly lucky to be blessed with her. As a direct result of my weight and pcos I developed diabetes when pregnant which I still have. More than ever I feel exhausted and unwell not to mention joint pain so bad I’m limping around most days. So with this in mind and after battling the bulge for 25 years I’ve made the decision to go ahead with the band after researching it for months. I do not want my baby to see me struggle in this way as it’s one of my biggest fears she will grow up with self confidence issues if she sees me struggle like this everyday.
    My weight 2 weeks ago was 19 stones. Today I weigh 18.2 stones as I cut out all the “bad” stuff (I am a sugar and fast food addict). My pre op diet starts in one week from today and I will be banded three weeks from today.
    What I’m finding is that while I’m absolutely thrilled to be going ahead with my band, I am also very emotional about it. These feelings range from sadness to feeling ecstatic and from nervous to being terrified. Is anyone else feeling this way? There are no support groups that I can find here in Ireland and I would love to chat to others in the same position….

Hi Sylvie

Wishing you good luck for tomorrow it will all be over before you know it.

Best wishes
    Claire

skinnysoup

Good luck tomorrow x

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media