Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Surgery 19th November – Emotional

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » Surgery 19th November – Emotional

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    flabulous

Hi everyone.
    I am being banded on the 19th November after years of battling my weight and ending up with health problems as a result. I’m 35 years old yet feeling years older as I’m exhausted from dragging myself around. My partner and I spent some time trying to have a baby and last year I was told due to my pcos that it would never happen. We rescued a very badly abused dog and threw our energies into him and I was pregnant weeks later 🙂 The pregnancy was very tough and uncertain but our beautiful daughter arrived this year and we feel incredibly lucky to be blessed with her. As a direct result of my weight and pcos I developed diabetes when pregnant which I still have. More than ever I feel exhausted and unwell not to mention joint pain so bad I’m limping around most days. So with this in mind and after battling the bulge for 25 years I’ve made the decision to go ahead with the band after researching it for months. I do not want my baby to see me struggle in this way as it’s one of my biggest fears she will grow up with self confidence issues if she sees me struggle like this everyday.
    My weight 2 weeks ago was 19 stones. Today I weigh 18.2 stones as I cut out all the “bad” stuff (I am a sugar and fast food addict). My pre op diet starts in one week from today and I will be banded three weeks from today.
    What I’m finding is that while I’m absolutely thrilled to be going ahead with my band, I am also very emotional about it. These feelings range from sadness to feeling ecstatic and from nervous to being terrified. Is anyone else feeling this way? There are no support groups that I can find here in Ireland and I would love to chat to others in the same position….

lynne903

Hi, I’m having my band op next wed, it’s really come round quick! Going for my pre op today. I’m also 35 and struggled with my weight for as long as I can remember. I was 19st just after I had my second child (she’s now 5). I managed to lose a bit but have yo-yoed since then and become really down about it. I too have mixed feelings but I think the excitement of eventually being slim and being healthy enough to run round with my kids is winning hands down over the nervousness!

There are loads if inspirational stories on here and a wealth of knowledge and advice. I’ve found most of the answers to any questions here as well as the friendly support. I’m so looking forward to joining everyone on the losers bench!

Good luck
    Lynne
    xx

flabulous

Hi Lynne.
    Thank you so much for your reply. It’s so good to chat to someone in the same position as I’m finding it a lonely journey as
    well as exciting 🙂 I’m also so looking forward to being slim and able to wear what I want. My daughter’s christening was just over a week ago. Spent the sat feeling fat and miserable among all our skin nyrelatives and friends.! 🙂 Am determined I will never feel like this at another family occasion.
    I’m really excited for you!! 🙂 Wishing you so much of the best wishes with your op and would love to stay in touch to follow your success and for some support from a new friend in the same position 🙂 xxxxxxx

flabulous

Sorry about spelling mistakes…typing from iPhone and have fat fingers lol!!!!

flabulous

Lynne,
    Did you do the pre op diet and how are you getting on if you did? Xxx

lynne903

I have only told close family and my best friend in having the op so would love to stay in touch with people who are going through the same. I’m on the pre op diet now, as far as I can tell there are different variations depending on where you have it done. I chose the very low fat, high protein one over the milk as I thought I’d be able to stick to it better. I’ve lost 10lb in the first week with 1 more week to go. I have been hungry but I’m trying to distract myself from that! I had my pre op yesterday and my bariatric nurse said its really important to do the diet as the idea is to shrink the liver to make the surgery easier and reduce the risk of complications. She said that my surgeon cancelled one woman’s band op last week as she didn’t do the diet and didn’t lose any weight. To me it’s not worth taking the risk. Here’s to our new beginning! x

flabulous

@lynne903 26086 wrote:

I have only told close family and my best friend in having the op so would love to stay in touch with people who are going through the same. I’m on the pre op diet now, as far as I can tell there are different variations depending on where you have it done. I chose the very low fat, high protein one over the milk as I thought I’d be able to stick to it better. I’ve lost 10lb in the first week with 1 more week to go. I have been hungry but I’m trying to distract myself from that! I had my pre op yesterday and my bariatric nurse said its really important to do the diet as the idea is to shrink the liver to make the surgery easier and reduce the risk of complications. She said that my surgeon cancelled one woman’s band op last week as she didn’t do the diet and didn’t lose any weight. To me it’s not worth taking the risk. Here’s to our new beginning! x

Hi Lynne.
    Thanks for sharing. I start the pre op diet on Monday. I had a major panic attack (so not like me) the other night thinking bout the band and was on the verge of cancelling. Was just so scared. have you felt like this at all? On a very positive note one month ago I weighed 19 stones. Weigh in yesterday I was 17.12 so really happy with that and my tightest trousers now fit perfectly 🙂 Excited!! Would love to stay in touch! How you getting in with pre op diet? Thinking if you loads!! Can pm you my email if you like? Xxx oh btw I’ve only told my sisters, mom, partner and best friend 🙂 x

flabulous

Omg ten down for you already!!! Yippppeeeeee!!!!

brown69owl

Hi ladies

I had exactly the same nerves as you , I worried I would never eat a normal meal again !!

I had my band fitted on May 17th , op day I was 17 stone 3 pound , I am now 12 stone 10 pound and feel so much better and happier . I now live to go clothes shopping and not only have a couple of shops to pick from .

Good luck with your journey and I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Trust me it will be totally worth it .

Jackie xx

skinnysoup

Your story is so similar to mine, I too have pcos and had fertility treatment with all my children my eldest 8 and twins 6!

I am 15 stone 11 ( lost 7 pound in the last few days) and 5 foot 7 and 34 yrs old, having the band Tuesday next week, and I to wanted to get it done so I don’t pass on my unhealthy obsession with dieting to my children especially to my daughter.

Be nice to go through the journey sharing it with people.

Xx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Don’t worry too much over your nerves, we have all been down that rought, wondering if this is the right thing to do, how will I cope afterwards, will I be able to cope, will I regret having it done. We have all done that seen the film and got the T Shirt. I had my bypass 8 months ago and it has been the best thing ever, I have gone from 21 stone to 14 and a half which for a bloke over 6 foot tall is almost at target in 8 months, which is a million times better than any diet I have been on, and like everyone else I have been on loads of diets in my 54 years. Even my BMI is now only a tad away from no longer being over weight and as I said all this in only 8 months.

For me WLS has been the best thing ever and I am sure it will be the same with you, just look forward to all those new clothes you will be buying and being able to just walk into any shop and find something that fits. This is things only dreams where made of before surgery.

Just remember, WLS is only a tool, you do have to work with it to get the best out of it, don’t cheat or even try to cheat, read all the info given to you by your surgical team and stick to it, if they say something might make you ill if you eat or drink it, then don’t even try it, as you might find you are in the small group who can eat or drink the items and not be ill, then what will stop you.

Stick to the rules, enjoy what you can eat and drink and your surgery will work wonders and you will wish you had it done years ago.

All the best for your surgery and your new life afterwards, and don’t forget any questions and we are here to help, so ask away, and remember the only daft question is a question not asked.

Paul

flabulous

@brown69owl 26126 wrote:

Hi ladies

I had exactly the same nerves as you , I worried I would never eat a normal meal again !!

I had my band fitted on May 17th , op day I was 17 stone 3 pound , I am now 12 stone 10 pound and feel so much better and happier . I now live to go clothes shopping and not only have a couple of shops to pick from .

Good luck with your journey and I am happy to answer any questions you may have.

Trust me it will be totally worth it .

Jackie xx

Hi Jackie.
    Thanks so much for your reply and a massive congrats on your excellent weightloss!! What an inspiration you are! Can I ask you a couple things? We’re you scared prior to the surgery? What was your diet like for the first few weeks after band insertion and what is it like now as in can you eat “normal” food? Has it changed your life?
    So sorry for all the questions xxx

flabulous

Hi Paul.
    Thank you so so much for your message and a huge congrats on your weightloss!!! Amazing!!! I’ve been so looking forward to it for ages and now it’s here you’re right I’ve so many questions! I’m terrified yet excited if that makes sense? Would love to keep in touch to melt your brain from asking questions from time to time 🙂 xx

flabulous

Lynne,
    Did you have your band yet?
    Xxx

flabulous

Hi Skinny.
    Thanks so much for your reply. Nice to have someone who understands the whole pcos battle. Was told by doc the year before last to go away and lose weight as she wouldn’t give me the fertility treatment. I lost 4.5 stones but for some reason could never get under the 15 mark and when I went back to doc she told me my levels were so bad that it would take a miracle for me to get pregnant and refused me treatment as she wanted me to lose another 2.5 stones but to be honest I’d lost all hope and piled another stone on then found put I was pregnant! 🙂
    Delighted you’re all set and ready to go. How do you feel about it? Would love to stay in touch xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media