Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Support contact details for Streamlines NHS Patients

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » Support contact details for Streamlines NHS Patients

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Paul-H
    Participant

Hi guys

I had my bypass at St Richards 7 months ago, my surgery was done by MR Slater, everything had been going fine and I am almost at target weight already, my last lot of blood tests where all fine. But I am now having quite bad problems that my GP cannot figure out and he is unsure if its WLS related or not. Do any of you have a contact number that I can call to get advice from. My GP thinks it might be a malabsorbsion but obviously he doesn’t know what blood tests to order, and has asked me to contact my team at St Richards and ask them, but I don’t have a number other than the loxwood Centre and I need to contact someone with medical knowledge.

My symptoms if anyone else has had this and knows what the issue might be is. About 3 months ago I started getting the most horrendous sweats, add to this I often go very light headed when I stand up, and now for the last week or so I have been unbelievably week.

Can anyone help

Thanks

Paul

katy

Hi Paul

I had a really bad stomach bug a couple of weeks ago and contacted the Loxwood as I was worried about the impact it was having on me. I asked to speak to one of the nurses and they put me straight through to velia who was really helpful.
    I have been getting bad dizzy spells as well but i think it’s because my blood pressure is really low. My Gp also suggested that It may be to do with my back pain meds. I am on the same doses at just under 11 stone as I was when I was nearly 20 stone so I am absorbing much more than I was. If you are on any medication it might be the culprit. Just a thought…
    Katy

Paul-H
    Participant

Thanks for the reply Katy

And you actually might well have hit the nail on the head, that was one of my GPs thoughts as well, I had been on the same morphin patch does from the time I was 24 stone, now I am just over 14 it could and should have been reduced, and since cutting it down yesterday I have already started to feel more human. Which is a big improvement from yesterday when I didn’t think I was going to make it through the day, I was even getting other patients in the doctors asking me if I was ok as I looked that bad.

Thanks again

Paul

katy

It’s a pleasure paul. I am on a fentanyl patch which we think is the culprit for me!

Paul-H
    Participant

Fentanyl, blimy how to you cope on them the ones I was on where the lesser Transec patches, Fentanyl must really knock you for six.

Mine where cut down to a much lower dose yesterday and already I feel miles better, still getting dizzy when I stand but no longer feel or look like I am about to expire any minute like I was yesterday.

Thanks again

Paul

katy

Hey Paul

I have been on the 12mcg/hr fentanyl patches since January. Previously they didn’t give me any problems, I was just so relieved to find a pain killer that worked! I have to change them every three days and by day 3 my back just goes Into spasm and I can hardly move. They are the lowest dose ones but my Gp is considering switching me to bupranorphine as I am just wiped out by the fentanyl these days! Glad to hear you are feeling slightly better….I am slowly reducing the doses of some of my other meds as I sometimes worry that I shouldn’t be driving etc…..fingers crossed I will be having back surgery next month and am hoping to kiss goodbye to all of these meds, get back to work and start living a ‘normal’ life again!!
    Katy x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    What you have symtoms you are getting are what I have been having, went to my GP who to start with put me on a low carb diet which helped but they still continued, I have been referred back to St Richards to Endocrinology and Metabolic Medicine Clinic as they seemed to think that it a malabsorbation problem and could be linked to WLS, I have my appointment on the 5th of November, might be worth going to see your GP again and ask to be referred as well. I do believe you are from my neck of the woods, I am in Margate and the QEQM didn’t want to know and said it would be better if I went back to St Richards, my GP has spoken to the team at St Richards and they are more than willing and as they said they have the bariatic team on hand if they need to ask questions.
    Hope this helps. I first thought it was blood pressure or something wrong with my bloods but all was ok. I am just recovering from a viral/tummy bug that I picked up last week, I have found that since I have had the bypass if I get one of those it takes ages to shift and the tummy to settle down again, I know I only have about a stone to to lose before I hit target but I have lost nearly 10lb over this last week. I have been putting good bacteria into my system and today is the first day all is good in bowl department lol.
    Go back to your GP and get a referral, but I will let you know how I get on when I go back down on the 5th.
    Elaine x

Paul-H
    Participant

Thanks Elaine, that would be a big help if you could let me how you get on.

I had been slightly better until today, where I have started feeling rough again.

So please let me know how you get on when you go to st Richards on the 5th

Paul

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    Will do, I get good days and bad ones, the sweats are bad and I can handle them on their own but put that with the lightheadedness, it is terrible. Must say the low carb diet and watching what all type of sugar, natural and processed I take in has helped a little, but I can’t wait until the 5th gets here and I start to get some answers.
    Elaine x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I spoke to St Richards today and they are sending me an appointment to see someone quickly, I had a full range of blood tests on Monday so hope to get the results of those soon as well, hope fully its just a nutrition issue rather than a malabsorbsion problem. Apparently constipation is a good sign as far as malabsorbsion is concerned. The longer it stays in the more is taken out. If you get my drift.

Mind you my hot sweats have been better since my morphine was cut down, but still feeling week and light headed, and only sleeping one hour a night is slowly driving me nuts big time.

Paul

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Paul,
    Going by what you have just said then mind looks as it could a malasorbation problem because I am finding I am dumping after most meals now, worst at night if I haven’t dumped through out the day if you get my drift, but I am back to GP tomorrow to see if she can help me on this problem as it is driving me nuts, I can’t go anywhere unless I know there is a toilet handy, gets a bit embrassing. I can’t go on like this until I get to St Richards, getting weaker by the day and so lightheaded with now lack of food, so will see what she can offer until I get there. Are you going back to bariatric’s or are they sending you to see someone else?
    Elaine x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I am awaiting an urgent appointment to see the dietician first to check on my food consumption before I get referred to anyone else. Just in case I am not eating enough, as my weight loss has been quite dramatic and it is possible I have over done it a bit, well we have to over do some thing don’t we, now that we can’t over do eating any more. Addiction transference anyone, I am also still awaiting the results of the huge long list of blood tests my GP Sent me for on Monday.

Although I must admit to feeling quite a bit better after they found out that a 14 stone patient should not be on the same dose of morphine that a 24 stone patient had been on for years, but still getting light headed and feeling weak all the time.

Hope they can get to the bottom of this as it is putting a bit of a damper on the surgery and weightloss at the moment as I was full of beans at 24 stone and full of burgers as well before anyone points that out. ��

I am sure it will be ok in the end.

Paul

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Paul, exactly what I said to my GP this morning, I have come down from nearly 25 stone to just over 13 stone in 18months and what I am going through now has had for the first time thinking that I regret having it done, it was only a flitting thought because as soon as I thought it I thought no I don’t regret it for one moment, I don’t want to go back to being the “fat” me.She has put me on codeine to slow the bowl down to try and stop me dumping after every meal, she doesn’t think it is anything to do with the malabsorbtion problem but due to to tummy bug I picked up 12 days ago. We both agreed that as WLS was still new that there are things that they will discover as we go a long, so I await with baited breath what St Richards can come up with.
    Elaine x

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media