Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Suitable Candidate for surgery?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » Suitable Candidate for surgery?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kitten
    Participant

Hello

I am just wondering if anyone else is like me:-

The only way that I was able to keep my weight at 8 stone (Im 5ft 3″) was to go hungry to the point of fainting, I did this from the ages of 15 to 30. I found this to be too much effort after the age of 30 – I am now 39, and my usual calorie intake per day now is from 850 to 1200, and of course I am nearly twice my original weight with a bmi of 36.7. I have never lost any weight on the usual diets, and I am going to see my GP next week re advice, I am also going to see a bariatric dietician in February to consider drastic measures, I hope no one thinks I am lying re my calorie intake because I write everything down including all drinks, spreads, ketchup everything.

Deifersmum
    Participant

HI Kitten

Welcome to the forum, we’re all a pretty friendly bunch on here.

Have you spoken to you GP about the weight gain, there is a possibility there could be an underlying cause such as thyroid or, silly as it may sound, are you eating enough. One thing I did learn at weight watchers was you have to eat to lose weight, sounds daft but it does make sense once you realise that the body is a marvellous thing and thinks for itself, if you dont eat enough it sayd oh oh here we go lets start to store hence the weight gain, it might be just as simple as increasing your calories to the correct amount for a female of your age and height.

I had major trouble losing weight, I’d lose three pounds at ww and put four back on even though I’d eat the same things each week, your not on your own on that one. Good luck with your GP push for tests on thyroid, metabolish, anything you can think of and, if your PCT runs them, ask for a session with a cognitive recognition therapist, my surgery has weight management courses running so yours may run them too, they are really effective in identifying what we’re doing wrong and right, you don’t say which area you are in.

Let us know how you get on and good luck.

Love
    Lesley
    xxx

Kitten
    Participant

Thanks for the info re pct weight classes. As you suspected I have been diagnosed with an underactive thyroid, and take a small amount of medication, and it is back to its right level, but the meds have not done anything for my weight, I shall really push at my next gp appointment.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Good call Deifersmum 🙂

Doodah x

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Kitten

Hang in there, how long have you been on the meds? it takes time for them to stabalise properly, I’ve been on quite a high dose of levothyroxine for over ten years now and still having the dosage tweaked it will be hard but hang in there your doing everything right.

Take care
    Love
    Lesley
    xxx

Gayle

Hi. Some anti depression tablets help add weight too!! I had some last year and the weight went in really quickly!! Don’t take them now after my bypass and my thyroid is better but still on replacement thyroxine too! It’s amazing that one tablet that can help one condition can cause so many more! Are you taking anything else? Good luck

ruby tuesday

Great advice here, amazing too how much harder weight loss becomes as we age, I did wonder about excercise, read recently we actually need 45 mins daily of aerobic activity plus a couple of classes that are more specifically weight bearing per week to achieve fitness, much more than the usual recommended activity levels per week, which I guess is because with working and driving everywhere we are much less active than even in the 50’s.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Get a dog!! They always love you, want to please you, want to be with you and hang on your every word. They make great walking companions and meeting other ‘doggie’ people is great. It’s nice exercise and can be as vigorous or sedate as you wish (my labrador would run 8 hours a day if he could!) A dog is cheap to ‘run’, warm to cuddle and will guard your house. They are suitable for any age too.

Can you tell I love dogs yet lol!

Kitten
    Participant

Hi Everyone

I have been on Thyroxine for about 3 months now, and my levels are fine, even though I still sleep loads and feel very cold. And yes I have to take Anti depressants and lithium, and neither are good for weight, but there is no way I can stop taking them. I suppose the only good side is that I have not gained any weight over the last 12 months.

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Kitten

Sounds like you’ve got it under control so hang in there. My medication was reduced by 25 mcg after my bypass but unfortunatley it’s back up again, shame but its one of those things that will never be back to normal but the weight loss has certainly helped with everything else, except the cold, my goodness do I feel the cold now, thank goodness someone, (probably a woman !!!) invented central heating, brrrrr.

On a lighter note, I totally agree with doodah, as some of you know we adopted a german shepherd x from dogs trust in September and I wouldn’t be without him, no more gym memberships or exhausting aerobic classes, if I don’t want to, I just run round the field every night like something demented because Zak wants to play, it’s like having a spoilt child but he’s sooo cute, so if anyone is thinking of it there’s lots of doggies out there that are in the same position that Zak was, in need of a good, loving home, he’s brilliant for depression too… he’s currently guarding the garden against the composter !!!!! free entertainment too.

Anyway, good look with your application Kitten if you decide to go ahead, let us know how you get on.

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xx

Gayle

I’ll third that about dogs! Great exercise! I’ve got two mad labradors one of which never stops hooning around!! They keep me busy and warm in bed if needs be! A lab either side and I’m soon warmed up!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media