Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Success with band

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #31230
    natalieyoung
    Member

    Just wondering if anyone has any success stories with having the gastric band. I had mine fitted on the 10th of November have had one fill and I am constantly hungry has lost very little.

    #48954
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    Hi Natalie.

    When you say you have lost very little, how much are we talking about? You probably know already that bandsters have a longer journey than bypassers so I won’t go over that again lol! You are very much the tortoises of the weight loss journey. Having said that, I have a very dear friend (who won’t mind me saying that she is not a youngster) who lost 11st with a band in roughly the same time as it took me to lose 15. we were in hospital together and have remained lifelong friends. I also know people who have lost upwards of 10st with a band but very, very slowly. That’s the key with a band – to be patient and keep on going.

    If you are still hungry after a fill, might I suggest contacting your dietitian? It might be that you need to add more protein to your diet as this is what keeps us fuller for longer. Also, please be mindful of drinking plenty of water throughout the day: this helps also. If you have lost a reasonable amount of weight since November then I think you need to re-think what is a reasonable goal to set yourself. Do NOT gauge yourself ‘against’ a bypasser – you will only put too much pressure on yourself. Here is a little message from Mr Shaw Somers:

    Tip of the day about your gastric band by Shaw Somers, Streamline surgical, – YouTube

    A very good tip indeed!

    Hope this helps.

    Doodah x

    #48964
    natalieyoung
    Member

    Hi Doodah I have lost about 21lbs since november which is not great. I have only had one fill though. Last time I went for fill I was sick so they would not do it. So it will be 9 weeks between my last fill. I am having a fill on 9th of February so hopefully I start feeling restriction and losing weight.

    #48955
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    21 lbs is a stone and a half! I would be delighted with that Natalie, especially if you had only had one fill.

    Try to be patient and just keep doing what you are doing. That’s 21lbs you will never see again 😉

    Doodah x

    #48961
    brown69owl
    Member

    Natalie

    You are doing so well if you have only had one fill !
    I had my band put in at the end of May and I needed to go and have a band fill every 4 weeks and I still have not hit the perfect spot .

    I have lost 5 stone but at the moment I am struggling as haven’t had a fill ( had 1ml) since November , need to go for appointment .

    Stick with it , the fills really do make a difference .

    Jackie x

    #48965
    natalieyoung
    Member

    Thanks Doodah and Jackie. Yes hoping my next fill will help as I am going to Florida in 6 weeks and would like to lose a bit more weight. I had my first fill on 8th of December and have had nothing since! So struggling not to put weight on.

    #48962
    sharlotte
    Member

    Hi Natalie,

    Don’t lose heart with it! Since I had my band on 5th October I have only had 2-4 weeks between fills so I think you are doing amazingly well with only one fill!!!

    It is a slow process but its the best way to lose weight and adjust your lifestyle to a normal healthier one!

    Your doing so well, don’t give up! My moto is anything lost is not a gain, even if its only 1lb a wk over a year that’s 52lb that’s 3.5 stone!!!!!!!!

    Keep positive and look forward to your holiday 😉 xxx

    #48956
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    @sharlotte 27417 wrote:

    Hi Natalie,

    Don’t lose heart with it! Since I had my band on 5th October I have only had 2-4 weeks between fills so I think you are doing amazingly well with only one fill!!!

    It is a slow process but its the best way to lose weight and adjust your lifestyle to a normal healthier one!

    Your doing so well, don’t give up! My moto is anything lost is not a gain, even if its only 1lb a wk over a year that’s 52lb that’s 3.5 stone!!!!!!!!

    Keep positive and look forward to your holiday 😉 xxx

    Absolutely fantastic post Sharlotte. Thank you SO much. You have summed it all up in a fab, positive little nutshell.

    Doodah x

    #48967
    Mands
    Member

    I’m due to have a band fitted a week today and I think you have to go into having a band done with the mindset that its going to be slow … I think slow weight loss is better for the skin ??? Ie saggy skin afterward as you have more chance of exercising and pulling whatever you can back in ?? I might be wrong but losing weight fast like a bypass will make you initially can’t be great for the loose skin afterwards … Maybe I’m wrong lol … I have thought long and hard about what op to have and the main thing is that in the long run it is the same weight loss for both options so I have decided to stick with having the band done as its just not as invasive as the bypass and I think it will be easier to work with and less restrictive which means you still have some choices . I know this probably isn’t helping you Natalie but you had reasons for choosing the band over the bypass so stick to them all banders lose weight eventually from what I have read

    Take care and good luck with your next fill!

    Mands xxx

    #48957
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    @Mands 27425 wrote:

    I’m due to have a band fitted a week today and I think you have to go into having a band done with the mindset that its going to be slow … I think slow weight loss is better for the skin ??? Ie saggy skin afterward as you have more chance of exercising and pulling whatever you can back in ?? I might be wrong but losing weight fast like a bypass will make you initially can’t be great for the loose skin afterwards … Maybe I’m wrong lol … I have thought long and hard about what op to have and the main thing is that in the long run it is the same weight loss for both options so I have decided to stick with having the band done as its just not as invasive as the bypass and I think it will be easier to work with and less restrictive which means you still have some choices . I know this probably isn’t helping you Natalie but you had reasons for choosing the band over the bypass so stick to them all banders lose weight eventually from what I have read

    Take care and good luck with your next fill!

    Mands xxx

    Such a brilliant post. I had to have a bypass as I was so poorly I had to shift my weight as quickly as possible. I exercised as much as I physically could but have still had to have plastic surgery to remove approx 1 stone of excess skin. It’s quite possible that a slower weight loss would have reduced my excess skin but I wasn’t in a position to gamble my life on it.

    Whichever wls you choose has to be the right one for YOU. We are all so very, very different both in terms of our issues and physiology that it is fabulous that we have a choice of procedures for which to opt. And you are right, Mands, we do all lose the weight in the end, by sticking to the guidelines, using the tool given to us, seeking help and support when needed and being kind to ourselves. Realistic goals mean less chance of disappointment too.

    Doodah x

    #48960
    lala
    Member

    Have you seen this? I hadn’t. It seems like obvious stuff, but I only realised Id broken EVERY rule after watching it….

    Rule 1 – The Eight Golden Rules – YouTube

    #48966
    natalieyoung
    Member

    Thanks everyone I think I just imagined the weight loss would be faster

    #48958
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    I know it must be really difficult not to wish for a faster weight loss but one thing I would say is, try very, very hard not to compare yourself with other people – especially bypassers. If you follow the guidelines, trust the surgery and eat slowly and well, you WILL lose weight. It really isn’t a race or any sort of competition. Also, give yourself realistic goals as they are easier to attain. You can always set yourself new ones when you have reached the original one!

    Doodah x

    #48963
    lynne903
    Member

    I’ve lost 2 stone since my band (mine was 7th nov), and I’ve only had one fill. I’ve stayed the same over Christmas as I’ve eaten in between meals as well. The way I look at it is that I’ve lost 2 st that I wouldn’t have lost before the band, and for the first time ever I haven’t put weight on over Christmas!! I’ve got back on track now and stopped the snacking now that the extra food isn’t in the house and I’ve increased my exercise with 4 dance classes per week (shifts permitting) and also kettle bell weights at home. Well done for what you’ve lost so far – as we all know having the band fitted isn’t the easy way out but as long as you stick with it and work with your band it will work for you.

    I love coming on here to read about other people’s experiences – it makes me realise I’m not the only one going through this and that its the quick fix that a lot of people believe it is – its a major life change forever.

    #48959
    Doodah
    Keymaster

    @lynne903 27437 wrote:

    I’ve lost 2 stone since my band (mine was 7th nov), and I’ve only had one fill. I’ve stayed the same over Christmas as I’ve eaten in between meals as well. The way I look at it is that I’ve lost 2 st that I wouldn’t have lost before the band, and for the first time ever I haven’t put weight on over Christmas!! I’ve got back on track now and stopped the snacking now that the extra food isn’t in the house and I’ve increased my exercise with 4 dance classes per week (shifts permitting) and also kettle bell weights at home. Well done for what you’ve lost so far – as we all know having the band fitted isn’t the easy way out but as long as you stick with it and work with your band it will work for you.

    I love coming on here to read about other people’s experiences – it makes me realise I’m not the only one going through this and that its the quick fix that a lot of people believe it is – its a major life change forever.

    Absolutely Lynne. Wls isn’t like having a wand waved over you so that you suddenly lose weight, stop being addicted to food or using it to self medicate, and it’s certainly not bloomin easy! The media are so ignorant on that fact and it makes people think we are lazy, hopeless cases who don’t want to change our lives for the better!! NOTHING could be further form the truth. If we have come to the ‘last chance saloon’ regarding our weight, we are probably the MOST determined people of all.

    Well done on your success so far, but most of all for your fantastically positive attitude ;-))

    Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Search Forums

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media