Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Struggling band person

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Rosie Posie

Hi everyone
    Had my band fitted January 08, starting weight 18st 13lbs. At first I lost 3 1/2 stone was feeling great. As I started to get my fills I was able to eat, but had loads of acid and reflux, which made be vomit constantly. X-rays showed damage to my asophgus, band had to be emptied for 4months. This resulted in me gaining all the weight back. I then started to get fills again slowly every 4 weeks. Then got trouble with my gallbladder which had to be removed July 11. I have been getting my asophgus monitor every few months by x-rays this has improved and my band appears to now be getting some restriction, my surgeon is pleased with the progress. Since July 12 I have had 2 fills and now weigh 17st 6lbs. It has been a long journey and I have lost the willpower. Do have a fantastic nurse at the hospital who I see every 6-8 weeks, but need some daily support, to keep me from snacking on wrong things. Any advice would be great. Rosie x

luckyflower

Rosie so sorry you have had these problems. I can imagine that it must be hard to feel motivated with all you have been through. There are people here who I am sure will be able to support you (I have not had op yet). You will see on here those people who have been very successful and positive I hope the stories inspire you.
    John on here has just had a band fitted and is very encouraging, and there are others too.
    Well done for starting again and I wish you well.

Rosie Posie

Hi Lucky Flower

Thank for the kind words. I will keep trying. When are you getting surgery and what type. Rosie x

Sent from my iPad using WLS FORUM

Anonymous

Hi ROsie,

So glad you posted and are holding your hand out for some encouragement. Its important not to feel liek a failure when things go wrong, sure we can fix it by simply picking you up, dusting you off and getting you back on the band wagon…. ( or bypass wagon ).

Their are rules that might have had to be neglected whilst you got things sorted, but you know from experince weight loss is acheivable…. if only we follow some very basic rules…
    As emotional eater, bands are sometimes easy to cheat, bypasses too if your hell bent on living to old standards..

So we review, we compensate and we move on….
    Let the guys and girls guide you, support and encourage you….

Will be looking at long term issues and getting past the bypass just as soon as I get five minutes…

PM Me your e-mail and I will send a copy of the rules and a link to the 5 day pouch test…..

Otherwise use the support you have at hand, try to get to a support group meeting or encourage other WLS patients to meet up if only for coffee. I am sure their are planty hiding in the woodwork lurking….

Its not over till the fat lady sings, but shes had a bypass and is not longer fat…

Too slimfinity Rosie, too slimfinity and Beyond.

Buzz xx

Rosie Posie
    Buzz wrote:
    Hi ROsie,

So glad you posted and are holding your hand out for some encouragement. Its important not to feel liek a failure when things go wrong, sure we can fix it by simply picking you up, dusting you off and getting you back on the band wagon…. ( or bypass wagon ).

Their are rules that might have had to be neglected whilst you got things sorted, but you know from experince weight loss is acheivable…. if only we follow some very basic rules…
    As emotional eater, bands are sometimes easy to cheat, bypasses too if your hell bent on living to old standards..

So we review, we compensate and we move on….
    Let the guys and girls guide you, support and encourage you….

Will be looking at long term issues and getting past the bypass just as soon as I get five minutes…

PM Me your e-mail and I will send a copy of the rules and a link to the 5 day pouch test…..

Otherwise use the support you have at hand, try to get to a support group meeting or encourage other WLS patients to meet up if only for coffee. I am sure their are planty hiding in the woodwork lurking….

Its not over till the fat lady sings, but shes had a bypass and is not longer fat…

Too slimfinity Rosie, too slimfinity and Beyond.

Buzz xx

Thank you buzz. I have sent you my e-mail. Hope I did it right, still trying to work this site lol. Rosie x

Nettie

Hi Rosie,
    You sound as though you have really been through the mill, it must be very hard after being so successful initially, well done for your perserverance.
    I have only had my band for 2 months so I’m not sure I can offer very much support, but I also need support in order to stop me reaching for the wrong types of foods, it’s surprising how easily those naughty things slip through the band yet some healthy things just get stuck and return to haunt us.
    Keep in touch and good luck.
    Nettie

ruby tuesday

Bless you Rosie, what a rotten time you have had of it. It must be very hard to motivate yourself now, and no wonder, so be kind to yourself, eat smaller portions, build in some daily exercise that you love, swimming is always good, walking, exercise bike maybe, find something fun. I don’t know if you work or how much spare time you have, but if you can, try taking up a new hobby to keep your mind off food, and stimulate you too, something where you are out meeting people rather than a solitary one. You are in this for the long haul, so you want to be enjoying life whilst your body changes, not fretting about your weight, and I really hope things go more smoothly for you now. best wishes xx

luckyflower

(Hi Lucky Flower

Thank for the kind words. I will keep trying. When are you getting surgery and what type. Rosie x)

Rosie, I am having a bypass at the end of October with Guy Salter at the Churchill.

Rosie Posie
    ruby tuesday wrote:
    Bless you Rosie, what a rotten time you have had of it. It must be very hard to motivate yourself now, and no wonder, so be kind to yourself, eat smaller portions, build in some daily exercise that you love, swimming is always good, walking, exercise bike maybe, find something fun. I don’t know if you work or how much spare time you have, but if you can, try taking up a new hobby to keep your mind off food, and stimulate you too, something where you are out meeting people rather than a solitary one. You are in this for the long haul, so you want to be enjoying life whilst your body changes, not fretting about your weight, and I really hope things go more smoothly for you now. best wishes xx

Hi Ruby
    Thanks for your kind thoughts and words. I am a Mum of 4 grown up sons, 2 still at home. I have a granddaughter 7 and grandson 1 and another due December. I do work full time, shift work in a children’s home, so time is precious. Loads of food and sweets etc on hand at work, however I have started to take my own in so I know what I am eating. Will try to fit some exercise in, used to go to the gym and swim but not done anything for over a year. I will keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again for the support. Rosie x

Rosie Posie
    luckyflower wrote:
    (Hi Lucky Flower

Thank for the kind words. I will keep trying. When are you getting surgery and what type. Rosie x)

Rosie, I am having a bypass at the end of October with Guy Salter at the Churchill.

Good luck it won’t be long. I used to watch all the programmes with shaw summers and guy slater prior to my op in Jan 08. They gave me the support to go ahead with it.
    Rosie x

Rosie Posie
    Nettie wrote:
    Hi Rosie,
    You sound as though you have really been through the mill, it must be very hard after being so successful initially, well done for your perserverance.
    I have only had my band for 2 months so I’m not sure I can offer very much support, but I also need support in order to stop me reaching for the wrong types of foods, it’s surprising how easily those naughty things slip through the band yet some healthy things just get stuck and return to haunt us.
    Keep in touch and good luck.
    Nettie

Hi Nettie
    Thanks for chatting to me, that’s enough support. Knowing people , are out there who understand what I feel is a great help. Family are great but they don’t understand and worry when you are sick all the time.
    How is your journey going, are you glad you did it? How is your weight loss going? hope all is well. Keep in touch we can help each other. Thanks again.
    Rosie x

Rosie Posie
    Rosie Posie wrote:
    Thank you buzz. I have sent you my e-mail. Hope I did it right, still trying to work this site lol. Rosie x

Well another bad day for me. Had my breakfast biscuits and tea as usual. However as it was late this morning no lunch. Then driving in to work succumbed to a bounty bar with pieces. Now feel guilty as sin. struggling to get through the rest of the day. Rosie x

Nettie

Hey Rosie, don’t feel bad you’ll make it worse for yourself, the Bounty on it’s own wont ruin your day but if you continue to punish yourself you will end up having more bad things because you think you have blown it, have a nice healthy tea tonight. It sounds as though you aren’t eating enough protein, try eating protein as the main part of every meal including breakfast, it really does help.

Nettie xx

ruby tuesday

Could you manage a more substantial breakfast Rosie, egg, porridge, cereal or a yoghurt maybe, take a banana with you for a snack, etc? I agree with Nettie, for me getting the protein in is hard, not sure how it is for you digestion-wise, but being full of fluid and eating regular protein will keep the hunger at bay, and help you to feel fuller. If I used to start my day pre-op with something too sweet, I craved sweet things all day, so wondered if your biscuits and tea might have that effect? Re-training our heads is difficult, but worth the work to try to change our habits, otherwise we just don’t loose the weight we want to, and then feel bad about it, trapping us in a vicious circle really, but don’t beat yourself up, as Nettie says, eat a healthy tea, and try to make healthier choices tomorrow. xx

Rosie Posie

Thanks Nettie and Ruby for you support. I will try some eggs tomorrow, instead of the biscuits. Will keep you updated. Rosie x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media