Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Stitch like pain

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    scpayne76

I have emailed my surgeon but would like your thoughts. I’ve been having stitch like pain on my left side. Sometimes it knocks me for 6! I can’t lie on this side either. I’ve done lots of reading about what it could be but wondered if anyone else has suffered With this? It doesn’t come on after food but can just happen at any time.
    Thank you.

bikerchris
    Participant

Yes, I specifically remember having that and spoke to the nurse about it. I was told it was from the site of the drainage port and that healing on the inside takes a while. It passed. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Chris x

scpayne76

Thank you Chris. It is a bit like when you’re pregnant and you can’t lie one of the sides! It’s so strange.

bikerchris
    Participant

That is where this forum is brilliant. I’d completely forgotten that specific thing until you mentioned it. As a body of people we have a wealth of knowledge and experience cascading down. I’m sure you’ll soon find you’re able to sleep any way you like!

Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s true, Chris. Because we are all at different stages, our combines experience and knowledge is vast. Plus we are all more than happy to share them/it.

Also, this time of year can be a scary one for those of you who had your surgeries this year. the first Christmas can feel a bit ‘scary’ but we all manage to get through it. My first one was spent crying in my Mum’s bathroom as it was the only place I felt warm! The food didn’t bother me one bit but being cold has always been my number one hate (actually, thirst is the main one – I start to panic if I get thirsty!)

Anyway, I digress, if you get worried about the discomfort, scpayne76 (do we have your real name?) then phone your team. Don’t make the mistake of blaming everything on your wls. A few of my friends have done that and it has turned out to be appendicitis/gallstones! Ooops!

Doodah x

scpayne76

Thank you all

Happy Christmas.
    Siobhan 🙂

Lauren
    Keymaster

Thank you Siobhan. The same to you and hope you had a lovely day yesterday.

ps I LOVE the name Siobhan 🙂

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I second do doodah , I bl aimed my bypass for the cramp / ibs pains for three months when in fact it was my appendics so I would alway go and see your GP

Lauren
    Keymaster

@scpayne76 32959 wrote:

Thank you all

Happy Christmas.
    Siobhan 🙂

Hi Siobhan

How are you today? Hope you are feeling better.

Have things settled down a bit or did you get in touch with your team in the end?

Doodah x

scpayne76

Hi all
    Sorry for delay in reply. I spoke to my consultant and he’s booking me in for an appointment . Apparently it’s very common and there’s no real reason for it. I’m doing well with the weight loss. Every day is different. Christmas Day I couldn’t eat and was sick but the next day I was fine. It’s a marathon not a sprint as my husband reminds me when I get upset.
    Happy new year to you all- glad you like my name Doodah-right back at ya:-)

Lauren
    Keymaster

@scpayne76 32990 wrote:

Hi all
    Sorry for delay in reply. I spoke to my consultant and he’s booking me in for an appointment . Apparently it’s very common and there’s no real reason for it. I’m doing well with the weight loss. Every day is different. Christmas Day I couldn’t eat and was sick but the next day I was fine. It’s a marathon not a sprint as my husband reminds me when I get upset.
    Happy new year to you all- glad you like my name Doodah-right back at ya:-)

Thanks Siobhan.

Have to say, you have a very wise and caring husband who is exactly right! Quick – clone him!

Seriously though, it really is a marathon and not a sprint. In fact, a really good visual is to study people who do the 100m dash, then look at marathon runners. Sprinters are usually compact and densely muscular people, normally with a low centre of gravity. They can reach incredible speeds but only for a very short amount of time (under 10 seconds!)

Then look at a marathon runner: lean, rangy and busting with grit and determination. They take in nutrition throughout the whole 26+ miles in addition to loads of fluids. They both get the same prize (Gold medal) and are both supremely healthy. It’s safe to assume that we start out as sprinters and end up as marathon runner, however, the goal is always the same – better health and a sense of pride in what we have achieved.

I’m back on healthy eating today after Christmas. No weight gained but I don’t feel at all healthy and my body is crying out for simple, healthy and fresh food. And so am I! If I see another bit of ‘party food’ I will go mad! I have a goal for the end of the year – to be a stone lighter. To help out my lungs (I have bad asthma) and my ageing joints. A year is a really long marathon but one I can win!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I second doodah I’m back to healthy eating . I have to have hot food at lunch time so it’s home made soups or my favourite veg sausage and baked beans .

Lauren
    Keymaster

Mmmm, veggie sausage and baked beans. Drooling now Kim!

Doodah x

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media