Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Squeakyfruitbat’s Weight Loss Journey

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Bariatric patient experiences » Bypass Patient Stories and Photos » Squeakyfruitbat’s Weight Loss Journey

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Glad it’s all going well for you, I am 6 days post op and still only manage about 2 dessert spoons of puréed at the moment per sitting.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

We are all SO different aren’t we? Thank goodness we have this place to find out that what we are experiencing is perfectly normal haha!

I stayed on puree for 8 weeks as it was perfectly sound nutrition-wise and I wanted to make absolutely sure that my new little stomach was ready for ‘real’ food. I still have the odd week where I have only home made soup. It reminds me that food is for living and being healthy, not a ‘reward’ for a bad day or boredom. On those weeks, my skin is better, I have no headaches (more fluids) and I feel ‘lighter’.

My personal opinion is that I spend years and years abusing my body and it did the very best it could not to fail me. I think it’s time I payed my body back for it’s kindness and resolve so, every few months, I give it a ‘soup holiday’: it doesn’t need to work so hard to keep me alive.

Probably sounds totally mad but that’s how I like to think of my body now: it’s my real friend in all of this – not food.

Doodah x

Feeling pretty good. Been back at work for 3 weeks and have lost 2 stone 5llbs (that was on 1st april) scales are hidden as I was becoming a little obsessive!!

I have not struggled with food at all and am now on solids at the advice of the dietician – had my first cherry tom post op alst night !! Yum YUm

I will say that I am not someone who lost their appetite! This really scared me to start with and I can eat more than some – but it has been explained to me that as a revision from a band this is normal. It has taken a lot of willpower not to eat anything bad/overeat but the further I am out the more I am learning how to work with my pouch and it’s going great. (ask me that at 3am when i’m having a freak out and you might get a different answer !!). It is ceratinly a learning journey – you expect one thing and get another. I get hungry and have head hunger but I am very proud of myself for dealing with this – I can proudly say I have not eaten 1 crisp/chococlate item of crap food for 9 weeks today !! I am getting in over 2 litres of fluids a day and I have to say my skin looks amazing – this is actaully the one thing that people have commented on most – and for someone who’s always had spots this in itself is such a boost !
    I am attending my weekly counselling and exercise and am regualrly talking to a dietician as i know i need this support to keep me on the straight and narrow

All in all pretty positive (with a few wobbles on the way !!)
    xxxx

muffin1001

You’re doing FAB squeaky! You must be seeing and feeling a big difference already – how fantastic. Not easy, but you’re doing it, well done xx

Thanks muffin… Any news.. Email me!! Xxx

Thais

Well done!!!
    So happy that you are feeling so well and dealing so well with the head hunger and the trips that you head put for you, keep going like that and you will see more and more rewards. XX

Pd; I can’t wait for our shopping day in Brighton, is 21st still on???

Deffo on for shopping!!! I think train gets me in at 11 I’ll let you know. Hope you doing ok. Cx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@squeakyfruitbat 22810 wrote:

Feeling pretty good. Been back at work for 3 weeks and have lost 2 stone 5llbs (that was on 1st april) scales are hidden as I was becoming a little obsessive!!

I have not struggled with food at all and am now on solids at the advice of the dietician – had my first cherry tom post op alst night !! Yum YUm

I will say that I am not someone who lost their appetite! This really scared me to start with and I can eat more than some – but it has been explained to me that as a revision from a band this is normal. It has taken a lot of willpower not to eat anything bad/overeat but the further I am out the more I am learning how to work with my pouch and it’s going great. (ask me that at 3am when i’m having a freak out and you might get a different answer !!). It is ceratinly a learning journey – you expect one thing and get another. I get hungry and have head hunger but I am very proud of myself for dealing with this – I can proudly say I have not eaten 1 crisp/chococlate item of crap food for 9 weeks today !! I am getting in over 2 litres of fluids a day and I have to say my skin looks amazing – this is actaully the one thing that people have commented on most – and for someone who’s always had spots this in itself is such a boost !
    I am attending my weekly counselling and exercise and am regualrly talking to a dietician as i know i need this support to keep me on the straight and narrow

All in all pretty positive (with a few wobbles on the way !!)
    xxxx

I have to say I am mightily impressed at the way you are dealing with everything. You know the ‘danger’ areas and are being pro active in your reaction to them. Well done and keep doing what you are doing as it obviously works!

Doodah x

Hey all not been on for a while life is sooo busy!!!
    Just a little update… Weighed in today and since start of milk diet on 9th feb I’ve lost 3 stone 1lb!! Whoop whoop!!! Slow , but I knew it would be r than some as I had revision from a band… But it’s going down!!! I got out my weight watchers card last night … Over 6 months I officially achieved putting on 4 pounds… Clearly I needed more help!!! Lol.. It’s been hard work , I get hungry, I don’t think I dump as I can enjoy fruit , however I have stuck to my diet so blinking stubbornly some days I do feel like I might explode… But the feeling goes and is replaced by a feeling of achievement a real self worth that I have done it!!! Little old me did it with a little old help from my pouch.. I was sooooo scared it wouldn’t work and I’d mess it up .. But so far so good… Even started the NHS couch to 5k in 9 weeks challenge today with my sis…. We look baaaaddddd trying to run!!!!
    Hope everyone is doing ok xxxxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@squeakyfruitbat 23217 wrote:

Hey all not been on for a while life is sooo busy!!!
    Just a little update… Weighed in today and since start of milk diet on 9th feb I’ve lost 3 stone 1lb!! Whoop whoop!!! Slow , but I knew it would be r than some as I had revision from a band… But it’s going down!!! I got out my weight watchers card last night … Over 6 months I officially achieved putting on 4 pounds… Clearly I needed more help!!! Lol.. It’s been hard work , I get hungry, I don’t think I dump as I can enjoy fruit , however I have stuck to my diet so blinking stubbornly some days I do feel like I might explode… But the feeling goes and is replaced by a feeling of achievement a real self worth that I have done it!!! Little old me did it with a little old help from my pouch.. I was sooooo scared it wouldn’t work and I’d mess it up .. But so far so good… Even started the NHS couch to 5k in 9 weeks challenge today with my sis…. We look baaaaddddd trying to run!!!!
    Hope everyone is doing ok xxxxx

Hi Squeaky

I love it wehn someone says sorry for not posting because they have been busy: it proves they are living life to the full again after wls. Isn’t that what it’s all about?
    Well done you for sticking to the ‘rules’ too. It is hard work. You are doing absolutely brilliantly – bang on target and a bit more. A stone a month is a phenominal amount. I hope you are justly pretty darned pleased with yourself?! As for the running, I bet you are nowhere near as bad as Phoebe from ‘Friends’ lol!

Doodah x

Funnily enough as soon as we started the running phase my sister said…’God you look like Phoebe from Friends !!’ Always a source of entertainment me ! xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Love it xx

Well, 3 months and 2 weeks since op!!

So My op was on 23rd Feb (RNY).. I started at 20 stone 13 at the beginning of my milk diet
    20 stone on op day – 1st June 17 stone 1 lbs!! That’s a loss of 3 stone 12lbs – to say the least I am very pleased:whistle:

And what a Journey so far..and TBH not one I was expecting. I had a band for 7 years and went from it being really great to it being a nightmare so I thought I’d done the ups and downs of WLS !! Well here’s a whole new journey:

To be honest I wanted to be someone who didn’t get hungry, couldn’t eat much and lost quickly…in reality I get hungry, can eat any foods and am having to work hard at this surgery malarky… am I dissappointed that it didn’t happen like I thought it would ?….honestly NO. That’s not to say that I don’t still think..good I just wanna be like the people who are full on teaspoons…but that’s not how it happened for me and you know what that’s fine….

I have stuck to the rules by the letter (puree stage/mashy stage/solids) (OK except for a couple of alchifrolic drinks last week and a few weeks ago!!) – From about week 4 I started to feel hunger – god that freaked me out…but with steely determinations and a lot of cups of tea I got through. Is it head hunger, is it real hunger at 4 weeks out I had not clue.? I often still don’t but am learning which is which.

Since day 1 I have used My Fitness Pal food and calorie counter and for me this has been a saviour. I am greedy and eyes bigger than tummy could be a real problem for me so I weighed and measured everything. I practice eating slowly and I try to stop and wait at the end of the meal – it’s takes time for the that full feeling to come for me. I Know I could munch away on nibbles if I let myself..
    My dietician did ask me to stop weighing and measuring …I considered this for a week and mulled it over with my psychotherapist….my journey is hard and for me this is a safety blanket right now…so I have decided to continue at present but to not worry on days when there I am out with friends for a meal or someone else is cooking – on these days I use my knowledge of what I shoud and can eat and stick with that.

I am very lucky to have been offered counselling… Thank God…she has been soooo helpful and really helped with my ups and downs of how I feel about the surgery and helped me realise how to cope with it.

3 months out I’m really glad I can eat a variety of foods as I can have nice yummy healthy food and don’t feel I mourn the loss of food. I have to push myself everyday not to eat crap….easy when it’s not there but my office is full of biscuits….but I noticed the other day that my choices are getting easier…why would I waste 80 cals on a biscuit when I could have some nice filling chicken breast….now that thought surprised me a lot… (but I was also very pleased with myself). And honestly because I’m working so hard at this I actually have a real sense of acheivement and feel very proud of myself. Never let anyone tell you this WLS business is the easy way out. If it was I wouldn’t feel such a sense of pride !!

So in conclusion 3 months out I’m very pleased with my weight loss….I’m learning to deal with how the surgery has worked for me and starting to be able to see that the surgery HAS worked for me….there have been so many dark moments of doubt….I have to ito this surgery for it to work for me and use it as my tool…the more I commit the more I get out of it……..easier said than done and I’m sure there are dark days ahead but my Size 16 or less Wedding Dress for December keeps me focussed 🙂 – will have to get a new goal after that !!

Anyway I hope this post helps peeps, the good, the bad and the ugly

xxxxx

Wow that looks like a massive rant now it’s posted !! xxx

Oh and I forgot to add that for me in many ways I’m kinda pleased it’s been hard work so far…the weight loss with my band was very easy year one and I grew complacent , coupled with band problems and a really bad time personally I went straight back to my crappy eating…I’m hoping working this hard at my food and diet will help me create life long habits this time !! I really CAN’T go back to 21 stone for a 3rd time ! xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media