Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Squeakyfruitbat’s Weight Loss Journey

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Bariatric patient experiences » Bypass Patient Stories and Photos » Squeakyfruitbat’s Weight Loss Journey

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author

Hi all I’ve had my bypass ( last thurs) and am home and resting!! Mr slater said I have a long rib cage so it was harder to get in there and think this is why I’m still a bit sore but do far do good. Getting food in nicely and all my fluids. Can’t believe I ate just 500kcals and not felt hungry! Started exercise yesterday with short walk (5mins!!) all in all pretty good. Whoop whoop. X
    Ps found a brilliant app for my phone …My Fitness Pal.. Records all food really easily… I find a food diary my saviour and plan to use this forever…. Well as long as poss I am realistic;-)!!! Xx

katy

Yay! Congratulations!
    I’m having mine on monday and can’t wait. I’m into my 4th week on the pre op diet (have done it twice now!) and am raring to go.
    Congratulations on getting this far, keep us posted on your journey
    Katy xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@squeakyfruitbat 21981 wrote:

Hi all I’ve had my bypass ( last thurs) and am home and resting!! Mr slater said I have a long rib cage so it was harder to get in there and think this is why I’m still a bit sore but do far do good. Getting food in nicely and all my fluids. Can’t believe I ate just 500kcals and not felt hungry! Started exercise yesterday with short walk (5mins!!) all in all pretty good. Whoop whoop. X
    Ps found a brilliant app for my phone …My Fitness Pal.. Records all food really easily… I find a food diary my saviour and plan to use this forever…. Well as long as poss I am realistic;-)!!! Xx

Yahoo! You are doing everything right – well done you 😉

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Doodah x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@katy 21982 wrote:

Yay! Congratulations!
    I’m having mine on monday and can’t wait. I’m into my 4th week on the pre op diet (have done it twice now!) and am raring to go.
    Congratulations on getting this far, keep us posted on your journey
    Katy xx

Katy, you have had such a kerfuffle getting started havent you? I think it’s amazing that you have stayed so positive and focused. Well done my lovely. You are an inspiration for anyone struggling.

Doodah x

midge

Glad all went well I use the app as well …..invaluable really helps to keep on track
    Midge xx

hazelann70

I started using that app on my phone but found I began to obsess about food far more than I did before and I’m now on a self destruct mission in my subconsious mind to see how much dammage I can do I think. Having a pretty miserable time at the moment and don’t know how to get out of it. Why do we seem to try to put an end to anything that has made us feel happy? I was so happy when I got down to goal but it’s as if my subconsious has taken over and is trying to undo all the good. It’s as if my inner self won’t allow me to be happy.

katy
    Doodah wrote:
    Katy, you have had such a kerfuffle getting started havent you? I think it’s amazing that you have stayed so positive and focused. Well done my lovely. You are an inspiration for anyone struggling.

Doodah x

Thanks doodah
    It has been a kerfuffle (I love that word!) but I think keeping a positive mental attitude helps. I’m not going to lie and say I have felt positive the whole time….I was very miserable when I got cancelled…but I think it’s been so worth the wait. I have lost a lot of weight on the pre op and I think this motivates in itself. I went to st Richards yesterday as I am an unusual blood group and had to provide 3 more samples for type and crossmatch and the phlebotomist asked what surgery I was having. I told her I was having a bypass on Monday and she nearly fell off her chair and said ‘surely you are not big enough for that!)
    I knew i was only just within the criteria for funding but have co morbidities so the panel agreed. People keep asking me why I am still having the op if I can lose weight at the rate I am but I know it won’t stay off so that’s why I am going ahead.
    Liz said she went into theatre laughing and that is what I intend to do…..that way I know that my recovery will be quick…it’s all in the mind (and plenty of mush in the freezer!)
    Thanks everyone for your support, this forum has been a lifeline….
    Love Katy x

Doodah
    Keymaster

I think this forum is a lifeline too. We have all been through it. We are all on the same journey but the view from each of our window’s is different. It’s brilliant to get soemone else’s view when we get bogged down.

Sod what anyone else thinks about whether or not you should have weight loss surgery – it’s YOUR business.

And yes, kerfuffle is brilliant as is Bruhaha, mullarky and shenanigins lol!

Doodah xx

hides

Doodah i love all those words…… They did and do make me laugh.

And squeakyfruitbat, so pleased to read how well you are doing. And thanks for the “my fitness app”, just signed up…… Love the look, but i can see how it could take over…… But last week was the first week i didn’t lose any weight… (all down to bad choices), so hope this will help me keep on track…

Heidi x

Thanks for replies. Katie, Monday , soooo excited for you!!! Best of luck xxxxxxx

Copey

Well done and good luck shuffling up the losers’ bench

Copey

Anyone have any idea whether a little pesto with chicken and a little wholewheat pasta is a bad idea? I know it’s quite high fat but not sure if a tsp or two in the pasta is unwise? Thx

78rpm

nice to hear it’s going well !

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Copey 22053 wrote:

Anyone have any idea whether a little pesto with chicken and a little wholewheat pasta is a bad idea? I know it’s quite high fat but not sure if a tsp or two in the pasta is unwise? Thx

Pasta can be problematic, even wholwheat because it can continue to swell in the stomach after eating. As for pesto, a little caution should be taken with it due to the high fat content, albeit ‘good’ fats. It’s all really a case of trial and quite a bit of error in the early stages if you try to rush things along. It’s tedious having to re introduce foods back into your diet but it is far better to err on the side of caution than keep pushing things then not feeling too good. I found that if I was sick more than once with something, I din’t try it again for another month. I never got there with rice or red meat. I’m now vegetarian and still cant eat rice almost 4 years post op. Small price to pay though for a better life 😉

Doodah x

Just thought i’d post to say how great it’s going…first few days i was in pain with my tummy muscles and got a little frustrated as i felt really well but couldn’t do anything…but every day just gets better and better.Bit tired and sore but feel really well, my spotty skin is really clear and other than the fact that puree food is just not great !!(I had to bin my puree chicken thighs…bleugghhh, even my cat wouldn’t eat it !!) i’m doing good, and anyway puree food is only for another 2.5 weeks so i can hack that !!
    Using My Fitness Pal to track food which i’m finding really helpful as I do feel it’s a military missions at the mo to get all the liquid in, have all the gaps before /after eating… this app does have calories on it and this is a good and bad thing….I can be a little obsessional but to ease my mind i called the dietician at St Richards today who was lovely and reassured me it’s all fine (getting in 30-50g protein in a day and about 500-800kcals). Managing about a ramekin of food at each meal and have managed a really good variety – i recommend puree mousakka – this is very tasty !
    All in all pretty good, lost 13 pounds on milk diet and another 9 in the last 11 days so pretty please with that !! (had put on 2 when i came out of hospital!! not bad !!)
    So far so good, hope everyone else is having a good journey ! xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media