Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Should I ask to be considered for surgery.

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » Should I ask to be considered for surgery.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    pennyhaz

Hi all, I have a GP appointment next week and Iam trying to build up the courage to see if I can be considered for surgery, but Iam not sure if it would be the right decision for me, if I was accepted.
    I have lost 11+stones in the past, managed to keep it off for about 18months, then it felt like my world fell apart and all the weight is back on,and I hate myself for it.
    I have been watching fat doctors, I just want some hope in my life, if that makes sense.
    Iam considering doing the milk diet, just to give me a kick start, but I dont know how long a person can be on the milk diet safely.

Pinkdancer

Hi Penny,
    Well done for having the courage to look into this option. It is a very brave decision to make as it is not an easy option but I think you come to a point where you realise you need this tool to help you take control your own life. I had my Roux NY last January and have lost 10 stone so far. I has approx the same weight as you when I started. It is hard work but I have never regretted having it done even during the tough times of which there are many, but just goes to show you need to make the mental journey as well.

The best advice I can give you is to speak to your GP and see if you fit the criteria to get the NHS funding. Post any questions on here as people are so generous with their time and knowledge. And lastly try and get to a support group and talk to people who are also on this journey as that will help you more than you could imagine. Everyone that I meet up with would have said they were ‘not a support group’ type of person but have found it invaluable.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Keep posting.

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Penny

Well done you recognising you need help, it is a bit galling that, after you’ve lost the weight once it has to be done all over again but, as Pinkdancer said, this is an amazing tool that give you the freedom to lose the weight and the right sort of support the whole way.

My heart goes out to you, I was where you are not now about a year and a half ago, it doesn’t seem possible but i had my bypass on 22 March 2011 and haven’t looked back since, I’m now just over six stone lighter, still got some way to go yet but I know, with the help and support it is achieveable, it’s that that keeps you going. This is so worth it, get as much information as you can, do your research and, speak to your GP, what’s the worst that can happen he/she says No, I got amazing support from my gp, much to my surprise thought I was going to have to fight for it but life is full of surprises, go for it Penny what have you got to lose.

Take care and we’re here for you.
    Love
    Lesley
    xxxx

pennyhaz

Pinkdancer, thankyou so much for your support,and congrats on your losses, how do I find a support group,do you mean on here, or in person?
    Lesley, you are local to me, Iam in Dover, so Iam wondering if we are part of the same NHS trust thingy me jib,PCT is it?
    My BMI is over 48, I suffer from chronic pain, and severe depression, apart from that Iam well,lol, do you think I would fit the requirements, I mean I have lost all the weight before and have tried all the diets under the sun, but overall no success,anyway congrats on your loss.

Ganny
    Participant

Penny,
    You are pretty local to me as well, I am in Margate. Lesley was in St Richards the same time as me and I agree with the others, it has been the best thing I have every done and like you I have tried every diet under the sun, lost weight put it back on again plus more but this is an amazing tool that I have been given and I am the lightest I have been since I was a teenager. I have been very lucky and have sailed through it and I know it is a big decission to make and it is a life changing decission. Speak to your GP and go with what they recommend, you will proably get the offer of counselling before the op and take it. If not we are all for you and will try and answer most of your questions.
    Elaine xx

pennyhaz

Thanks Elaine, I have had a years counselling,it has helped me, but I still have no control over my weight, Iam only able to see a Locum, as I have no regular doctor, so dont know if thats a good thing or not,congrats on your success.

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Penny

We are really close, if you would like to meet up let me know and we can get together. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a support group in this corner of Kent so myself and another lady have supporting each other, she lives quite close to, Eyethorne. Anyway, by the sound of it you fit the criteria but don’t get your hopes up until you see the GP, it’s a mine field and there are a few hurdles you have to jump over but, we’re all here for you no matter what.

I did a years Cognitive Recognition Therapy before I applied for funding, I must admit WLS wasn’t on my mind but, after talking to my counsellor, and doing some research I applied and, here I am ten months post op, you will too just be patient. Your first hurdle is getting that funding, don’t put it off, after chatting to your GP they will know the criteria and be able to tell you if you met the PCT requirements, I don’t see why you wouldn’t but I’m not an expert, one step at a time penny.

Anyway, PM me if you want to meet up.

Take care
    Love
    Lesley
    xxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Deifersmum 21182 wrote:

Hi Penny

We are really close, if you would like to meet up let me know and we can get together. Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a support group in this corner of Kent so myself and another lady have supporting each other, she lives quite close to, Eyethorne. Anyway, by the sound of it you fit the criteria but don’t get your hopes up until you see the GP, it’s a mine field and there are a few hurdles you have to jump over but, we’re all here for you no matter what.

I did a years Cognitive Recognition Therapy before I applied for funding, I must admit WLS wasn’t on my mind but, after talking to my counsellor, and doing some research I applied and, here I am ten months post op, you will too just be patient. Your first hurdle is getting that funding, don’t put it off, after chatting to your GP they will know the criteria and be able to tell you if you met the PCT requirements, I don’t see why you wouldn’t but I’m not an expert, one step at a time penny.

Anyway, PM me if you want to meet up.

Take care
    Love
    Lesley
    xxx

Hi Penny and welcome.

My goodness, you have shown you can do it!! We have all lost loads of weight and regained so don’t feel bad about that. I lost the same three stone 10 times over!

Every PCT has a different criteria unfortunately so you will need to ask your GP your own particular one for your county (Kent ) to see if you qualify. In the meantime, try going along to a support group. They are a total lifeline. I have met and made lifelong friends at mine. I do so hope you get funding. You are obviously someone who gets stuck in and on with the job in hand.

Please let us know how you get on.

Doodah x

ruby tuesday

Dear Penny, I lived in Sandwich near you until 4 years ago, and relate completely to what you say, having finally lost all my excess weight myself (about 6 stone), after spending nearly 10 years putting it on due to depression and fighting a legal case. I felt and looked great, and never though it would go back on, but dealing with my husband’s injuries after an accident 4 years ago meant | craved sweet food again, and went up to size 24. Last August I paid privately for a bypass, after lots of research and having joined my local support group for some months pre-op, and have lost 4 1/2 stone, and feel much happier with myself. As you know, we can if sufficiently motivated, loose the weight, it is keeping it off that is so difficult, and I hope having had the bypass, to loose some more, and stay a stable weight for the rest of my life. No one can tell you what you should do, but the more people you can talk to who have been through surgery the better, so I hope you can get together with the Kent people local to you, as face to face contact really helps. I wish you well, whatever you decide.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media