Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Shopping in the sales

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly
    Participant

Ok I confess that after struggling buying new clothes ( too much choice ) when I was 8 month out of my bypass , I have really enjoyed shopping in the sale this time . A first I even went to the next sale at 6 am on boxing day , something I have never been able to do before . And yes the size 12 fit !!! If not a little on the big size but I prefer them that way to cover my beloved lumps and bumpy tummy . I have had the best Christmas ever , I had all my family with me , eat a tiny Christmas dinner and had Christmas pudding rum sauce ( did vom but then I was trying my luck !!!) I have eaten lots of mince pies . And I have put on two pound , but that all over with now , left over Christmas naughty either given away or put in the bin . It’s back to healthy eating and back to the gym . I have to say it’s very empowering getting rid of the chocolates , mince pies , sweeties i do feel in control. I also have found attending the local WLS support group and slimming world group very supportive ,

bikerchris
    Participant

Having negotiated my first post wls Christmas, I’m pleased with myself too. Christmas dinner was a breeze with one slice of turkey, one potato and veg. I managed about a teaspoon of Christmas pud too! All my leftovers that are suitable for me are in the freezer and all chocs, cakes and mince pies have migrated to my son’s bedroom. Out of sight, out of mind.

I’ve not been to the sales yet, I’m trying not to buy many clothes as I hope to lose a bit more weight. But with less than a stone to go, I’m making slow progress. I do intend to go and have a good spend on some decent underwear that fits and flatters. After years of putting up with any old thing, I deserve better.

Chris x

Lelly

Oh how lovely to buy clothes that you want to wear and to not buy purely as they fit (ish), that must be a wonderful feeling. I decided that I would be good this Christmas, so had my dinner on a tea plate and although I had a bit of chocolate I have been very restrained, gained 4lbs though ARGHHH! The 16th January is drawing close, frightened and excited……

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32965 wrote:

Having negotiated my first post wls Christmas, I’m pleased with myself too. Christmas dinner was a breeze with one slice of turkey, one potato and veg. I managed about a teaspoon of Christmas pud too! All my leftovers that are suitable for me are in the freezer and all chocs, cakes and mince pies have migrated to my son’s bedroom. Out of sight, out of mind.

I’ve not been to the sales yet, I’m trying not to buy many clothes as I hope to lose a bit more weight. But with less than a stone to go, I’m making slow progress. I do intend to go and have a good spend on some decent underwear that fits and flatters. After years of putting up with any old thing, I deserve better.

Chris x

I love those last words in your post, Chris ‘I deserve better’ – I couldn’t have said it better myself! You are 100% right. We all deserve better…we always have but just couldn’t see it before.

This post makes me very happy indeed 🙂

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 32964 wrote:

Ok I confess that after struggling buying new clothes ( too much choice ) when I was 8 month out of my bypass , I have really enjoyed shopping in the sale this time . A first I even went to the next sale at 6 am on boxing day , something I have never been able to do before . And yes the size 12 fit !!! If not a little on the big size but I prefer them that way to cover my beloved lumps and bumpy tummy . I have had the best Christmas ever , I had all my family with me , eat a tiny Christmas dinner and had Christmas pudding rum sauce ( did vom but then I was trying my luck !!!) I have eaten lots of mince pies . And I have put on two pound , but that all over with now , left over Christmas naughty either given away or put in the bin . It’s back to healthy eating and back to the gym . I have to say it’s very empowering getting rid of the chocolates , mince pies , sweeties i do feel in control. I also have found attending the local WLS support group and slimming world group very supportive ,

I don’t know what I would have done this year without the support of my lovely friends in the wls group.

A 2lb gain at Christmas is pretty darned marvellous. I have said it elsewhere – my little Mum (all 5′ 1″ of her) puts on half a stone every Christmas. She eats absolutely everything she wants to eat and wears elastic waisted clothing. Her birthday is New Years Day so the eating fest stops on 2 January. By March, she has lost it all. how sensible is that? No guilt, fuss or worry.

I also have to say (she won’t mind me telling you) that she used to be obese too, many, many years ago. So she knows just how hard it is. In fact, she has given me a bag of lovely clothes to give to anyone who is in the losing stage. They are 16/18 so if anyone wants them – they are yours. I digress – AGAIN!

What I’m trying to say is, that it’s neither a test nor a race. If you put weight on over Christmas, it’s no big deal. Life is for living. However, after all the festivities, get back on the road to better health and more comfy waistbands lol!

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Lelly 32966 wrote:

Oh how lovely to buy clothes that you want to wear and to not buy purely as they fit (ish), that must be a wonderful feeling. I decided that I would be good this Christmas, so had my dinner on a tea plate and although I had a bit of chocolate I have been very restrained, gained 4lbs though ARGHHH! The 16th January is drawing close, frightened and excited……

You are doing fine Lelly – you have ‘owned up’ to a few naughty foods so to speak and it was Christmas after all!

You will soon be hitting the summer sales and your little head will swivel like an owls as there will be so much choice!! I wish I could bottle that feeling and give a little sip to everyone considering or waiting for wls. It is such a wonderful feeling to be pootling round the supermarket and going past the clothing then thinking ‘Ooh, I like that, I’m going to buy it’ then putting it in your trolley, getting it home and putting it on…..and it FITS. just like that. Like magic!! Then, realising that what you have saved on food has paid for your clothes!! Heaven right there on a hanger!

I’m so excited for you. Woo Hoo!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

@Doodah 32971 wrote:

I love those last words in your post, Chris ‘I deserve better’ – I couldn’t have said it better myself! You are 100% right. We all deserve better…we always have but just couldn’t see it before.

This post makes me very happy indeed 🙂

Doodah x

I’ve been giving some thought to those words about deserving better and to be honest, I used to put up with all sorts of things because I thought I wasn’t worth better. I know obesity and low self esteem go hand in hand but why should I put up with a job I don’t like, clothes that don’t fit or flatter and even some people who think it’s ok to be rude to fat people.

Now I’m not one for new year resolutions because I always break them, but I’ll make an exception here. I’m no longer going to put up with stuff when I deserve better. Anyone else joining me in that?

Chris x

Lelly

@bikerchris 32975 wrote:

I’ve been giving some thought to those words about deserving better and to be honest, I used to put up with all sorts of things because I thought I wasn’t worth better. I know obesity and low self esteem go hand in hand but why should I put up with a job I don’t like, clothes that don’t fit or flatter and even some people who think it’s ok to be rude to fat people.

Now I’m not one for new year resolutions because I always break them, but I’ll make an exception here. I’m no longer going to put up with stuff when I deserve better. Anyone else joining me in that?

Chris x

I will when I have had my WLS done, as I still hold my head down when I walk, expecting the looks and comments, which I get but I shall raise it when I have my confidence back.

bikerchris
    Participant

I’d say do it now Lelly. Go get your hair done, get your nails done, put your lippy on, wear bright colours and smile. We ALL deserve better.

Xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32975 wrote:

Chris x

100% I’m going to join you. I got a telling off from my GP yesterday for not going to see her sooner as I don’t like to be a ‘bother’. She reminded me that last time I did that, I ended up in A&E with Pneumonia. I had to be signed off work for two weeks!

So, lets all make a promise to ourselves rather than a resolution ( I’ve nicked the first bit of this saying!) – WE ARE WORTH IT: not worthless.

I feel better about myself already!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

So true we are worth it

Lauren
    Keymaster

One of our friends has decided to reward herself with items of jewellery – what a fantastic idea! A permanent reminder of her hard work and how far she has come. I wish I has thought of that!

Doodah x

I have been to the sales too, having lost weight, and much to my amazement fitted into normal skinny jeans, they were not the largest and looked good. The best feeling, better than dumping, sickness and giving up sugar!

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Fionajeweller 32991 wrote:

I have been to the sales too, having lost weight, and much to my amazement fitted into normal skinny jeans, they were not the largest and looked good. The best feeling, better than dumping, sickness and giving up sugar!

That’s exactly the way to think of it, Fiona: ‘get lost extra weight… I have skinny jeans to wear and look pretty darned good in!’ Or some stairs to climb/funfair rides to go on/beach walks to take/a bicycle to ride etc…. So many positive things to look forward to.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Oh I’m nearly 14 months out and have lost 8 stone , I’m so happy bMI 26.5 . . I’m working on trying to lose that last 7 pounds , to get to that magical BMI of 25 (. I know I will need cardiac surgery so I really want a BMI of 25 .) These last 7 pounds love me so much they just don’t want to say good bye .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media