Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Secret Eaters

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    hazelann70

Did anyone watch this last night on chanel 4? I sat back and just wanted to rock in the corner. How on earth can that man have thought he wasn’t eating enough? How on earth can they have tried countless diets and were still ignorant to fat and calorie content. I am slowly beginning to realise that people are simply ignorant to the content of their food. I am the first to stand up and say that I DO know what I should and shouldn’t eat but I DON’T put that into action – there is a difference! Yet those two people were totally in denial and didn’t have a clue. It never fails to amaze me how people can say they have tried countless diets yet still don’t know about calories and fat. Is this because many diets out there basically tell you what to eat each day without educating you? That man hadn’t given the fat content any thought at all. I would have classed both of them as intellegent people but for the one thing that dominated their lives, they failed to educate themselves on the simple facts about food. It’s no wonder this country is getting so big when people honestly don’t know what they are doing wrong. Many of us know what we are doing but find it so bloody hard to change and that’s why we are here.. God only knows what the answer is for them other than education, but I suppose even with that, we have landed in trouble! Still, education is 1/3 of the battle, coming out of denial is another 1/3 and doing something about it is the final 1/3 which is the hardest part.

Sorry if I have offended anyone – not meant at all.

katy

No offence taken at all! I watched it too and was shocked by the level of denial the people displayed but I could also identify to some degree as I have realised now that I was also in denial prior to the bypass. Maybe surgery is that 1/3 that is needed but then it should be available to everyone I guess….

Doodah
    Keymaster

@hazelann70 23530 wrote:

Did anyone watch this last night on chanel 4? I sat back and just wanted to rock in the corner. How on earth can that man have thought he wasn’t eating enough? How on earth can they have tried countless diets and were still ignorant to fat and calorie content. I am slowly beginning to realise that people are simply ignorant to the content of their food. I am the first to stand up and say that I DO know what I should and shouldn’t eat but I DON’T put that into action – there is a difference! Yet those two people were totally in denial and didn’t have a clue. It never fails to amaze me how people can say they have tried countless diets yet still don’t know about calories and fat. Is this because many diets out there basically tell you what to eat each day without educating you? That man hadn’t given the fat content any thought at all. I would have classed both of them as intellegent people but for the one thing that dominated their lives, they failed to educate themselves on the simple facts about food. It’s no wonder this country is getting so big when people honestly don’t know what they are doing wrong. Many of us know what we are doing but find it so bloody hard to change and that’s why we are here.. God only knows what the answer is for them other than education, but I suppose even with that, we have landed in trouble! Still, education is 1/3 of the battle, coming out of denial is another 1/3 and doing something about it is the final 1/3 which is the hardest part.

Sorry if I have offended anyone – not meant at all.

Absolutely no offence from my point of view.

I watched the programme with my mouth open most of the time too. To me, it seems obvious that food and nutrition needs to be taught in schools as well as the home. Not in a Draconian ‘This is what you should be eating’ way but so that children will learn to make informed food choices.

Children are being brought up on fast food whether from the big chains or at home with microwave meals. Saying that, it’s even worse that I was taught to cook from scratch (1950’s baby!) yet still ended up 26+ stone I suppose! Mine was a great deal of psychological eating rather than ignorance.

Like you say Hazel, they were intelligent people who were successful in most other areas of their lives so it was truly shocking how little they understood about basic nutrition. I too wondered how on earth they could have tried every diet without having learnt anything?!

hazelann70

Did you watch last nights program? On one hand I wanted to get hold of her and shake her and on the other, I could relate to her. She was eating generally healthy stuff but had no understanding as to how many calories are in what she’s eating. As soon as they showed her eating sunflower seeds the alarm bells rang for me as they are so high in calories. Anyone can eat healthy foods but if you eat a crate of oranges each day you will gain weight. I am a sod with my food though. I will scan the calories on everything to judge if I am “worthy” of eating it and then make the choice. However, if there’s no calories printed on an item, in my head it must be calorie free (although my sensible head knows it’s not).

Doodah
    Keymaster

I eat seeds and nuts all the time so was really shocked at how calorific they are. However, as a veggie it’s outweighed by the fact that I don’t eat fat-filled processed meats. I guess it’s about portion control too. Although I sometimes eat high calorie foods, I eat very little of them and they are always nutritious.

The guy was fooling no-one though, not even himself really.

Doodah x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media