Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

salad and veg?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    ruby tuesday

Was wondering how all you experienced guys are with salad and veg generally, because I do love salad. Is is digestable? What about fruit, as it contains sugar naturally, does that bring on a dumping reaction?

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Ruby Tuesday,
    I am now 12 weeks post op and can eat most veg as long as it chewed well and if I put some form of sauce with it, ie gravy, low fat cheese sauce etc. As of salad , I have tried and can eat most salad apart from lettuce have not tried that yet and from I have heard I won’t be trying that. Fruit is ok as it contants natural sugar which are body is ok with it is the process sugar that causes problems, I eat strawberries, melon, mango, pineapple, grapes, oranges, satsumas again chew well and slowly and I find that I am ok with them, haven’t tried apples or pears yet as they are a harder fruit. I eat nuts, brazils, walnuts,almonds, unsalted cashews all good for snacking on. Hope that helps.
    Elaine xx

ruby tuesday

Thanks Elaine, that helps loads, and sounds like a really good variety of food. American sites all seem to have people suffering from vitamin deficiencies, despite saying they take supplements, and I had started to wonder how much raw fruit and veg it was possible to cope with. I love having a few nuts too, for health rather than a craving, so great to hear you are ok with them too. What about excess wind, is that a problem? x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    Since surgery I always seem to have excess wind it is either coming up one end or out the other end guess it just goes hand in hand with weight lost surgery still as the saying goes better out than in lol.
    Elaine xx

Renn

Hi Ruby Tuesday

Interesting replies and very positive too for you and others who like me adore salads and raw things. I am 14 mths out now and since about 4 mths have had a go at salads started with beetroot…fresh cooked and tiny chopped up pieces about a tablespoon. I fancied it. Carrots I could eat about a teaspoon raw and grated but quite difficult. Lettuce went for softest,spinach and tenderest leaves and managed a tiny piece once again about the size of a 50p piece to begin with. Cucumber took skin off and had a couple of thin slices diced and ate these things on different days so knew reaction specifically. Now I have everything raw and small child like portions. No problems at all by about 7 mths I’d say. Never had any bad reactions apart from spring onions gave me wind. Radishes are tasty now too and watercress. Tomatoes when I tried I peeled because of skin and cored out lumps too. Nice microwaved to soften too. Celery is difficult from about six months pulsed it abit as very stringy. Good luck with everything you’ll have a head start with all your info which is very wise. Any probs you will be able to phone and ask a bariatric dietician for advice as well as the excellent advice from your online and face to face buddies that you’ve built up. Would you like a copy of my Newsletter anyone as it helps with healthy eating but is not bariatric specific? Email me on my website ubnder ‘Information’ to register or private message me on here. Obesity Weight Consultant for Southampton I Weight Management Programme for West Sussex I Lifestyle Weight Consultant for Portsmouth

Have a great week everyone Renn (Madeleine)

ruby tuesday

Thanks guys, great info Renn, thank you very much. x

Sally Bailey
    Participant

Hi Ruby

I love salad and enjoy eating it at all times of the year. there’s not much I can’t eat really salad wise. I especially like it with Jersey Royals or a baked potato. Yes wind is a bit of a problem after surgery but like Elaine says ‘Better out than in’ haha!

Sally x

ruby tuesday

Love jacket potatoes and new potatoes too, but get painful wind now pretty much whatever I eat, so bit worried about that part. At present I can massage my tummy to ease the pain as I know where the sticking points are, but I won’t after surgery, so am worried about not being able to do anything to help. And before anyone suggest things, no, windeze etc. don’t work for me!

Fenella

I’m four weeks post bypass. Dumped on small tin unsweetened mandarins toouch fructose I assume. Can eat bananas, an orange segment, berries, tomatoes and all veg. Had teeny bit grated raw beetroot yesterday which was fine but haven’t tried salad leaves yet which I’m missing so perhaps I will. Had 1 sausage and vomitted so won’t try thatvagain for a while!

Sally Bailey
    Participant

The thing is with wls is that we are all so very, very different and our bodies react in a unique-to-us way with the same food. Therefore, there are no ‘rules’. Ruby, you might not experience any wind at all after surgery the same way as acid reflux can disappear totally for some people post op.
    I found the best thing was to expect things to go well and to deal with it in a philosophical way if it didn’t. Then try again later!
    How far along are you with your journey now Ruby? Any news?

Sally x

ruby tuesday

Thanks Sally, I am feeling a bit gutted actually. Was finally told 12 July might be possible, fab except commited to 2 wk house-sitting last week July and first August (do it for free, but love the pets). Offered 4th August today, and still on house-sit until the weekend that week so had to say no again. Likely to be September, so long to wait, had hoped to have it done in June really, just don’t want all that extra time full of doubts. House owners booked me up after I sat for them same time last year and are lovely people so don’t want to let them down, but as I am self-funding and not working, I thought I would find it easier to book the surgery. Husband won’t even talk about it, so no reasurrance there. Feel pretty down.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Just a thought Ruby, but could YOU not come back early to take the 4 Aug appt? If it were ME, I would definitely consider it. Sorry you are feeling down my lovely. Big hug winging it’s way to you tonight xxx

ruby tuesday

Thanks Doodah, did consider it as desperate to say yes, but would mean leaving Pete there to do all the dog walking and the house clean and leaving a meal for the owners, and with his disability his ankle did swell badly last year making just doing a brief evening dog walk very painful for him. Also, I would be in hospital on my own, so all in all, just didn’t think it would work. Having said that did try asking if they had given away the 12th July date but they had as they didn’t think I would recover in time. Deep sigh. Have had to urgently nephew mind today as their Mum is sick, but am hopeful can still at least pop in tonight, will have to see how it goes. xx

SJ

@ruby tuesday 16856 wrote:

Thanks Sally, I am feeling a bit gutted actually. Was finally told 12 July might be possible, fab except commited to 2 wk house-sitting last week July and first August (do it for free, but love the pets). Offered 4th August today, and still on house-sit until the weekend that week so had to say no again. Likely to be September, so long to wait, had hoped to have it done in June really, just don’t want all that extra time full of doubts. House owners booked me up after I sat for them same time last year and are lovely people so don’t want to let them down, but as I am self-funding and not working, I thought I would find it easier to book the surgery. Husband won’t even talk about it, so no reasurrance there. Feel pretty down.

Sorry to hear this, have you managed to sort out a date yet?

x

SJ

I love salad, eat it by the bucket load (well, not quite literally), but have it every day. I can eat cucumber with skin, leaves, tomatoes etc. I usually throw in some sweetcorn, kidney beans, chives etc as well.

However, I cannot eat bananas as I dump on them, the same with fruit juice,tinned fruit etc and tbh most other fruit and food as well. But salad is fine!

SJ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media