Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Recovery time from bypass

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » Recovery time from bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    LISA

Hi,due my band to bypass dec 16 th and panicking!reassurance please!how long will I be ill for?

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi, panic is normal. You’re about to undergo life changing surgery. Life changing for the better, that is.

You won’t be ill as such from the surgery. I suffered quite a lot of post op pain but I was able to walk short distances the day after the op. By a week I was off the painkillers. 10 days and I was driving again and back to work in 2.5 weeks. Everyone is different but in the grand scheme of things, the recovery time is quite short. The important thing is to follow the advice on the food plan to the letter, keep your fluids up and keep walking as much as you can. You’ll be fine.

My only other advice is keep dipping into this forum. There is a wealth of experience from the users on here. Whatever you’re feeling, whatever the problem, someone on here has walked the path before you and will share their solution with you

Chris x

scpayne76

Hi there. I’m 3 weeks post bypass. It’s been up and down recovery wise but I’m beginning to feel more human. I had quite a bit of pain after surgery but it’s manageable and normal. I too had big doubts before and after! That’s good as it is a huge decision. The people on the forum are lovely. Good luck with it all!

treeza

It’s normal to be scared Hun you’ve made a life changing decision. It was the best decision for me so hopefully will be for you too. Take care, be kind to your self x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@LISA 32826 wrote:

Hi,due my band to bypass dec 16 th and panicking!reassurance please!how long will I be ill for?

Hi Lisa

If you have already had a band, you may not notice any difference at all in the recovery time after a bypass. I’m not sure ‘ill’ is the word I would use either. It’s more ‘discomfort’. Having said that, everyone is different.

I had an open bypass and my gallbladder removed at the same time and I was fine after a few weeks.

One thing I will say though – make sure you take your vitamin and mineral supplements EVERY day after a bypass. They will make a positive difference to your healing.

Very excited for you!

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

As said everyone is different, with me I was up and about as if nothing was done within two days, no pain or discomfort and was back driving after about a week.

Your body will let you know when or if you over do it though, so just learn to follow your body and you will be fine, after all you have had a band so already know what to expect post surgery.

just follow the instructions you have been given by your team and you will be fine.

Also the most important thing is make sure you drink enough water post surgery, 2ltrs a day as a minimum is vitally important, you will regret the consequences if you don’t, right Sue ��

Paul

LISA

Huge comfort eater,did anyone struggle with this after surgery?

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Lisa,

The bypass will work in 2 ways, first we are restricted in the amount we can eat and second if we eat too much of the wrong foods e.g. high sugar or fat, we feel unwell. I was a comfort eater too but at 7 months out, I’ve managed ok. I think it’s important to be prepared and have things in place to replace the comfort we sought from food.

For example I’m thrilled with my weight loss and now like looking good so I have my nails done. Buying nice clothes is lovely too, although I need to make sure I’m not spending excessively so charity shops are a boon. Exercise is good too and releases those endorphins. And keeping in touch with others on the wls path helps too.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Right Paul. Fluids, multi vitamins and minerals and plenty of gentle exercise at the beginning- even if it is just a walk round the garden! That’s what I did anyway. Always check with your team about the exercise bit though.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@LISA 32853 wrote:

Huge comfort eater,did anyone struggle with this after surgery?

We were probably all ‘comfort eaters’ at some point Lisa.

You will find, in the early stages that you won’t be interested in food as you simply won’t be hungry. Your tastes may also change. The beauty of the bypass is that, even if you try to eat rubbish you won’t be able to as you will be ‘punished’ for it with dumping syndrome! Believe me, it is bad enough to put you of certain foods for life! Right guys?

Take the time when you have no interest in food to try new things. Also, take up a new hobby to distract you. We all think ‘bad’ food is our best friend when in fact it is absolutely our worst enemy. Then, when the weight starts to fall off, you will realise that nothing tastes as good as being healthy and happy FEELS 😉

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

It’s the wind that’s uncomfortable but I have some great ideas on how to get that out . Your not ill , I got my husband to take me to the shop 5 days post op . I honestly just went in picked my present then came home . But I did get tired and needed to rest . But I’m 56 and was poorly so of your younger and have less physical problems you should be fine

scpayne76

Yep. The wind was awful!!! Still can be sometimes:-(

Lauren
    Keymaster

I didn’t notice extra wind! maybe I’m just a natural farty pants all the time!!?

Doodah x

LISA

Oh god a week to go….panicking……will I ever be able to eat a packet of crisps again?….

Lauren
    Keymaster

@LISA 32887 wrote:

Oh god a week to go….panicking……will I ever be able to eat a packet of crisps again?….

The short answer? Probably not. However, your tastes may change significantly and you may not even want to. Also, you wont feel hungry. However, ‘head hunger’ may try to sabotage things. Keep a food diary to see when you are most vulnerable, then make sure you have a plan in place to cope without trying to turn to food.

If it helps, visualise how much fat there is in a packet of crisps then imagine drinking that fat/oil straight fro the bottle!

‘Head hunger’ is our worst and most dangerous enemy. Keeping busy with pleasant and healthy activity is a good way to put it back in it’s box!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media