Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Questions – part 3

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    SuzieQ

Out of interest what is the 5 day pouch test as I’ve never heard of it?

I also see people onhere talking about calories and I’ve never had them mentioned by dieticians so interested in knowing how that has come about for some people.

I too am struggling with cravings for all that is bad for me and it’s certainly emotional eating, I lost my dad two weeks after having bypass and then in August this year my poor mum suffered a deep stroke and is now in a care home slowly dying so these last 21 months haven’t been easy, still I managed to lose 9 stone and I’m just trying to not put any weight back on.

One other question, I’m due to go into hospital on 4 Jan for my first knee replacement and I was trying to find a list of medication that I need to avoid for the sake of my pouch as I know they will be giving me pain relief, also I remember that someone (think it was Buzz) talked about some type of blind tube being a possible problem. Can anyone help by letting me know or by pointing me to the relevent post as I can’t find it! :noidea:

@SuzieQ 26988 wrote:

I also see people onhere talking about calories and I’ve never had them mentioned by dieticians so interested in knowing how that has come about for some people.

I too am struggling with cravings for all that is bad for me and it’s certainly emotional eating, I lost my dad two weeks after having bypass and then in August this year my poor mum suffered a deep stroke and is now in a care home slowly dying so these last 21 months haven’t been easy, still I managed to lose 9 stone and I’m just trying to not put any weight back on.

One other question, I’m due to go into hospital on 4 Jan for my first knee replacement and I was trying to find a list of medication that I need to avoid for the sake of my pouch as I know they will be giving me pain relief, also I remember that someone (think it was Buzz) talked about some type of blind tube being a possible problem. Can anyone help by letting me know or by pointing me to the relevent post as I can’t find it! :noidea:

With regard to your last paragraph I think the post below was what you might have seen it was one of two similar posts I too knew I had read it, it wasn’t easy to find, but I hope this helps. Good luck with you knee replacement I too have that to look forward to next year.

Hgl

Medi alert jewellery
    Started by janie61, 30th September 2012 19:13

Replies: 12
    Views: 195
    Last Post: 4th October 2012 08:33
    by Doodah
    Forum:
    Bypass Patient Stories and Photos

Paul-H
    Participant

Re Pain relief.

You will need to Avoid anything that is Aspirin based, so Aspirin, Ibuprofen and Possible the Anti Inflammatory Diclofenac or its derivitives (NICADS) taking any of these orally is out, but through IV Or Suppository is ok.

Re the 5 day pouch test.

I have only seen it in reference to people who have had a bypass and have gone a bit out of control and risked stretching their pouch, going back to the milk diet is supposed to give the pouch time to settle and also help the patient get to grips with their eating again.

Hope this has been of help

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Perfect post Paul.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@SuzieQ 26988 wrote:

Do you mean the intubation tube Sue?

This is the tube they put down your throat during the op. Some say extra care needs to be taken after a bypass so wear a medi alert bracelet with ‘RNY Gastric Bypass’ on it.

If you think you may need one, here is the link to follow:

MedicAlert Home

They can also be bought on Amazon:

Amazon.co.uk: medical alert bracelet

Hope that helps.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I have asked Mr Chris Ping, one of Streamline Surgical’s surgeons about the tube and he said there should not be a problem with it after a bypass.

However, if you feel safer wearing a medi-alert bracelet/dogtag/necklace regarding this and Asprin based medications, then by all means do so.

They are recommended for people with Diabetes, Epilepsy and Asthma etc and any drug/food/venom/sting allergies that may result in anaphylactic shock.

Hope this helps x

SuzieQ

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, HGL I will look up the post and thank you for your good wishes on op the closer it gets the less I’m looking forward to it! Doodah I believe that was the tube in question thank you for the link ot the medical alert braclet. Thank you too for the info on the 5 day pouch test.
    I have had my pre-op check and mentioned no anti-inflamatories orally but they didn’t appear to be particularly interested so something I will be keeping an eye on to make sure they don’t give me anything… can anyone tell me if codine is the asprin family my GP has given me them for pain relief but I’m reluctant to take them as not sure?
    Have to say I’m not looking forward to hospital food and have the family on food run alert just in case 🙂

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Codine should be fine, but it does have other issues like addiction so don’t stay on it for too long, unless you have to then addiction has to take a back seat, after all you are not addicted if you have to take it, you are only addicted if you continue to take it when the medical need has passed.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

I take co-dydramol for Arthritis and other associated bone pain regularly and am fine. However, it causes terrible constipation if I have to take it for more than a few days at a time so I mostly just try to take it at night. It helps me to be pain free for sleep!

At the moment, however, I’m taking it a bit more as I have a troublesome wisdom tooth that needs extracting. I dont have an appointment until the end of January (for pre op only!) so am needing it every single night at the moment. Fortunately, I have a repeat prescription for Senna too!

Doodah x

SuzieQ

Thank you Paul and Doodah, perhaps I have been too hesitant in the past to help myself with the pain just so wary but may need to look at allowing codine in the short term, must say though that losing 9 stone has helped enormously with pain issues but the damage to my knees is considerable and therefore the total knee ops are necessary, hopefully once done and my fitness back up I will reap the benefits and the pain less if not gone.

You guys are so supportive thank you.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Sue

I bet 9 stone lost has helped! However, like you say, the damage is already done isn’t it? I have terrible damage to some of my joints (my kneecaps are almost on the side of my legs where they struggled to carry over 26st around for so many years!) and my poor spine – well it’s now ‘J’ shaped.

But, I am still here! I live with regular pain but I’m alive and kicking as Bono would say 😉

I’m so happy you find this a supportive place. I couldn’t imagine not having here to come to when I need to either vent or celebrate! I know none of you will think I’m daft and that you will not judge. That is a huge support in itself really isn’t it?

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Don’t forget for long term pain control there are also patch options as well, I am on BuTrans Patches for my pain which works quite well and there are stronger ones available as well. including Fentanyl but you will need to be in very bad pain to want or get Fentanyl.

Have a chat with your GP about having something a little stronger, even if its just for a few weeks post surgery, just to help with the recovery from your knee op.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Very sound advice Paul. Why suffer with pain if you don’t have to?

I understand that they all have side effects and most of them totally unwanted, but in the short term they are invauluable to a speedy recovery 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Especially when they forget to reduce your dose as you loose weight, darn near killed me late last year until until someone thought to reduce it now I am not 24 stone.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 27124 wrote:

Especially when they forget to reduce your dose as you loose weight, darn near killed me late last year until until someone thought to reduce it now I am not 24 stone.

Paul

Oh my goodness really? That’s actually something to be really mindful of. Maybe that’s something we should all be asking our GPs? Thank you for pointing that out Paul.

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media