Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Question questions questions . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » Question questions questions . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    charabanc

Hi Folks,

1. Why, if self funding, don’t you need to have counselling?
    2. Currently, food plays an important part of my life, so what will happen to me when I can’t have what I want? Will I have to learn not to want these things, or will it come naturally?
    3. When I get bored, the first thing I think is, what can I have to eat? What will stop me having this problem post surgery? Or will I magically stop thinking about food?
    4. Now for some surgical questions, at my meeting with Guy,and at seminar with Chris, they both said that for people with a sweet tooth, the bypass is the preferred option. I want to know why this is?

I think thats enough for now! Hoping I get some answers soon, as my mind is buzzing with all sorts and I am having trouble concentrating on anything.

Regards.

johncg

There must be a technical and a very long word to describe it but in my strange mind I put it this way… Self funding, your possibly waiting your own money and not the tax payer… If the NHS were funding you they want to make sure you are going to work with the band/bypass and not abuse it……

I had the band and if I eat to much I’m sick… As the weight comes of you start to enjoy life and want to have a better quality of life… No operation is a magic wand and takes you to play your part… You must very much want to change your life for ever….. Start doing things you always wanted but went to the larder instead… Complete life change and out look on life…. But most of all you really want to work with the op…. It’s not a easy way out… It’s been the hardest diet I’ve been on, but the mist rewarding….. So until a pill is developed that make us thin over night it’s a long hard road ahead…. But look at the successes on this forum and put your head in the right direction and your mind and you can do it.

Good luck and come on the journey of a life time with us

Love John xxxxx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Bypass is best if you have a sweet tooth because in most cases eating sugar makes you ill (dumping syndrome) so it supposed to educate you not to eat sweet foods (aversion therapy).

As for the counselling, as said if you are using you own money, the NHS Have no input so counselling in not provided. If you feel you need it that will also have to be paid for by yourself.

Paul.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@charabanc 22123 wrote:

Hi Folks,

1. Why, if self funding, don’t you need to have counselling?
    2. Currently, food plays an important part of my life, so what will happen to me when I can’t have what I want? Will I have to learn not to want these things, or will it come naturally?
    3. When I get bored, the first thing I think is, what can I have to eat? What will stop me having this problem post surgery? Or will I magically stop thinking about food?
    4. Now for some surgical questions, at my meeting with Guy,and at seminar with Chris, they both said that for people with a sweet tooth, the bypass is the preferred option. I want to know why this is?

I think thats enough for now! Hoping I get some answers soon, as my mind is buzzing with all sorts and I am having trouble concentrating on anything.

Regards.

In short, you will become so much more active and engaged with both life and living again that you will realise the following:

Food is not your ‘friend’ it is a means to keeping healthy
    You will be so busy out and about being ‘normal’ again that you won’t need food as a crutch anymore
    You will be so delighted with your new, healthier body that the thought of sobotaging it will fade
    You may have to be reminded to eat – hard to imagine but absolutely true

The other replies are brilliant.

Doodah x

charabanc

Thanks to you all for your smashing replies. It is helping me with the few doubts I had.
    Thanks, again.

Pinkdancer

agree with all of the above.

Try to get to a support group to talk to people that have actually had it done, nothing can prepare you like actually talking to someone that has been through it.

What area do you live in as I am sure between us we can find you a nearby group to meet up with and ask your questions as you are doing exactly the right thing and getting on here and asking so ask away everyone is more than happy to share their own experiences with you.

You have already started on your journey as you are seeking the help and advice you are looking for to make a success of your journey.

Well done you, we look forward to moving up the losers bench if that is what you ultimately decide to do x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I was not self funding, the nhs paid for my bypass and I han no counselling some how bypassed all that. I guess I was lucky that from the time my GP put me forward for the op until I actually had it I only had to wait 6 months, now just about a year down the line and 10 stone lighter it has been the best thing I have ever done. As for a sweet tooth I have found that for some reason I have lost it and the thought of putting anything sweet into my mouth makes me feel sick ( even writing that made my tummy churn lol) as for comfort eating/boredom I have found with all the extra energy I have I find other things to do rather than eat.
    Hope that helps.
    Elaine xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Ganny 22136 wrote:

Hi,
    I was not self funding, the nhs paid for my bypass and I han no counselling some how bypassed all that. I guess I was lucky that from the time my GP put me forward for the op until I actually had it I only had to wait 6 months, now just about a year down the line and 10 stone lighter it has been the best thing I have ever done. As for a sweet tooth I have found that for some reason I have lost it and the thought of putting anything sweet into my mouth makes me feel sick ( even writing that made my tummy churn lol) as for comfort eating/boredom I have found with all the extra energy I have I find other things to do rather than eat.
    Hope that helps.
    Elaine xx

Thanks for that super, positive update Elaine.

We all know that not everyone goes through wls like a breeze and that it isn’t a magic cure. We have to really work hard at it. In the interest of a balanced view, it is also good to hear from people who have struggled with it: they are the people who need us all the most in my opinion.

I don’t mean the ‘my life is ruined by wls because I only lost 10st’ type thing as surely if you have lost 10st it’s impossible to think that your life isn’t better! I mean the people who really struggle adjusting to the new ‘Me’. I didn’t have counselling even though I’m an NHS patient because I had three years of group therapy and CBT to sort my head out before I had my surgery. I knew that for me personally, I needed to know why I used food to medicate myself. It helped me as much as the surgery did. Now, I’m not saying everything has been a breeze for me (hernia) but it was much easier than I ever expected it to be as I knew it was my very last chance.

So, hearing other people’s fab positive updates always gives me chills, but I am forever mindful of remembering the people who struggle. That’s what we are all hear for: support, advice, friendship and shoulders to cry on. I have had all those things from the lovely people here and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Keep the positive stuff coming I say as it strengthens the resolve of us all. ;-))

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Doodah,
    I guess I have been one of the lucky ones and I have sailed through wls, from the moment it was put to me from my GP until the day I actually had my bypass (23th March 2011) I knew it really the only way forward for me (last chance saloon) without this help of my GP, the wonderful Mr John, the team at St Richards and not forgetting all the wonderful people on here I don’t know where I would be today but the fact that I have been given this chance( use to think things like this don’t happen to me)and this wonderful tool I would not be ten stone lighter now. My honeymoon period is over and I am having to work now for every single pound I lose but I am not fixtated on the scales and food like I was. Yes I get weighed once a week, (before I would be hopping on and off the scales throughout the day) I go to Weight Watchers, I am a helper there and have been for many years, they all know I have had a bypass, never made a secret of the fact and as I don’t have a support group here they my team mates and the members are my support network, they have been there when I have my down days and they share my sucess with me, so again I am lucky to have that. I know a lot of people have not been as lucky as I have and that is why when ever I can I will offer my support and advice and share my expriences on here. I have a friend who had her op back in September and she knows she can come to me for help if she needs it, in fact we are meeting this Saturday for a coffee, so if any one in my area would like to join us if PM me I will let you now where and when we are meeting.
    I know I was ready for my op and I will always be extremely grateful that I was given this chance to get my life back.
    Elaine xxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

What a fabulously positive post again. It highlights the fact that we have to work at our weight loss and maintainance and that wls is no magic pill that makes us suddenly wake up 10 stone lighter and can eat whatever we want for the rest of our lives and never have to worry about it. In fact, it makes us concentrate on what we are putting inot our bodies, resulting in better general health all round.
    Support is crucial. I too am lucky enoug to have a network of friends who have helped me through every stage of my journey. Some have drifted away (they are off doing all the stuff they’ve always wanted to do) but I have made some friends for life. This has made me just as happy as losing my weight and saving my life ;-))

Doodah x

hazelann70

1. Why, if self funding, don’t you need to have counselling? I self funded back in 2001 for my gastric band and had to sign a consent form to say I would attend 2 years of support groups!! How times have changed. I had to have counselling with a woman who I hated and she felt the same about me as well. I felt it was money NOT well spent but I didget a lot out of the support group. The woman had my life in her hands and my money as well. Sometimes these things can work against you and in the end; I just said what she wanted to hear so that I could get my surgery. Awful but true. I am now NHS and have had no support what so ever and feel very let down in the way that there are no support groups for me to go to. So, it’s swings and roundabouts really.
    2. Currently, food plays an important part of my life, so what will happen tome when I can’t have what I want? Don’t go thinking you won’t be able to eat what you want!! I am perhaps one of the unlucky ones who can eat whatever shit I want. To begin with I thought it was nice to be able to have a bit of this and a bit of that but now – it’s a curse believe me. Will I have to learn not to want these things, or will it comenaturally? We all test ourselves – it’s human nature and when we find we can get away with eating a bit of what we fancy one thing leads to another which leads to lbs and stones!!!
    3. When I get bored, the first thing I think is, what can I have to eat? Whatwill stop me having this problem post surgery? Or will I magically stopthinking about food? I stopped smoking in January and wondered when stress came along if I would turn to the weed again. Thankfully I didn’t BUT, my good old friend food was what I turned to. I’m not sure what the better of the two evils are though. It is easier to lose a couple of lbs than tostop smoking again but there again, I used Champix which for me was the no willpower pill and I’ve not craved or wanted a fag since. I smoked for 10 years but I’ve eaten all my life. That kinda says it all really.
    4. Now for some surgical questions, at my meeting with Guy, and at seminar withChris, they both said that for people with a sweet tooth, the bypass is thepreferred option. I want to know why this is? Aseveryone else has said, it’s because of the dumping syndrome. I’m again unlucky as I don’t really suffer from this. There again, I’m more of a savoury addict (unless there’s a bag of super sour jelly sweets around). I’ve only just discovered the buzz one gets from eating these and I don’t even like jelly sweets!!! My daughter has a lot to answer for. I’m dribbling just thinking of the bag I have sat in the car FFS.

I think that’s enough for now! Hoping I get some answers soon, as my mind isbuzzing with all sorts and I am having trouble concentrating on anything.

Saying all of the above sounds like I am being really negative but I’m just saying how it’s been forme. I lost all of my weight and got down to my goal of 9stone 12lbs but have gained 6lbs back again. I go up, I go down but I am really happy with my life right now. I can go to Tesco and pick up a size 10-12 and know it will fit me. My feet are a size smaller which is handy as there seem to be more size5’s in the sales than there are size 6’s as well. If I had to chose between aband or a bypass I am really not sure what I would say is best. I loved my band but it cheesewired into my stomach. I love my bypass as well but ultimately, I think the band was my favourite as it could be adjusted to suit me whereas bypass is a one off and if you find you can eat more then it’s tough shit really!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media