Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Putting weight on

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Sally10

Please can anyone help me , I am 5 years post op ( gastric bypass ) I lost 14stone . But have put on a stone in the last year I just can’t seem to get back on track . Can anyone tell me how to do a pouch check .
    I really don’t want to put anymore on I feel healthier and happier and guy slater saved my life . I just don’t want to put weight back on . ๐Ÿ™

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Sally10 34365 wrote:

Please can anyone help me , I am 5 years post op ( gastric bypass ) I lost 14stone . But have put on a stone in the last year I just can’t seem to get back on track . Can anyone tell me how to do a pouch check .
    I really don’t want to put anymore on I feel healthier and happier and guy slater saved my life . I just don’t want to put weight back on . ๐Ÿ™

Hi Sally.

Firstly, you lost 14 stone….WOW! That’s amazing. Well done you.

Secondly, please don’t panic or beat yourself up. It is quite common to ‘bounce back’ with a little added weight after about 5 years. Our bodies seem to settle at a certain weight and stay there. What could you do if you were a stone lighter, that you couldn’t do now?

If you think it’s necessary to do the five day pouch test then here is the link:

5 Day Pouch Test from LivingAfterWLS

It’s just doing the pre op milk diet for five days, basically.

However, I would urge you to try to keep things in perspective. Yes, be mindful of what you are eating and drinking but please don’t panic and feel that you have sabotaged yourself. Technically, I am overweight as my BMI is slightly above 25. I am a short, middle-aged woman with rubbish lungs and arthritis. More importantly, I’m ALIVE. I most certainly wouldn’t have been if the wonderful Shaw Somers hadn’t saved my life with a bypass 7 years ago!

Please keep in touch and let us all know how things are going. I am not saying that you shouldn’t worry about weight gain. I am merely asking you to keep things in perspective. What an achievement – 14 stone lost! That’s two small women!

Please also be kind to yourself. Think about all the things you can now do as a direct result of all your hard work. Take care and have a wonderful weekend.

Doodah x

Sally10

Thank you so much Doodah for making time and answering , I am going to try the 5 day milk test again .
    I Know that I have done well and am so pleased . I just get frightened that the weight will creep back on .
    Have a fab weekend

Xx

Lelly

@Sally10 34365 wrote:

Oh my lovely, you have done brilliantly, please don’t fret, as Doodah said it is 14lbs, if you stay at the weight you are now, would it be so bad, apparently our bodies decide what our weight should be after our bypass, on a personal note I would rather be 14 lbs heavier but healthy rather than fretting trying to get to a figure that doesn’t really matter. If it worries you then do the milk diet but you are alive, healthier than you were, you have lost a load of weight, rejoice in that, I hope that I do as well as you

Lelly

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Sally10 34373 wrote:

Thank you so much Doodah for making time and answering , I am going to try the 5 day milk test again .
    I Know that I have done well and am so pleased . I just get frightened that the weight will creep back on .
    Have a fab weekend

Xx

I’m so glad you feel more positive now, Sally. It is terribly frightening when we feel we are losing control isn’t it? The secret is to find that happy medium so that we can live like ‘normal’ people regarding food. You have maintained a fabulous weight loss for FIVE years! That is a phenomenal achievement. Don’t ever let yourself forget that ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi sally how did you get on ? Have you felt the restriction back ? Remember when we used ramekin bowls . I also use Carole ball Baratric plate . This helps me a bit but I still got eyes bigger than my pouch . I drank milk for a few days as I was poorly with kidney stones. It’s amazing how I felt the restriction . I’m now eating out of ramekins again . And trying to eat healthy and clean

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 34396 wrote:

Hi sally how did you get on ? Have you felt the restriction back ? Remember when we used ramekin bowls . I also use Carole ball Baratric plate . This helps me a bit but I still got eyes bigger than my pouch . I drank milk for a few days as I was poorly with kidney stones. It’s amazing how I felt the restriction . I’m now eating out of ramekins again . And trying to eat healthy and clean

Fantastic advice again from Kim.

I saw this on twitter this morning and thought it would be a good thing for us to do but in a smaller quantity…

Drinking 500ml of water before meals may help obese adults to lose weight

We all know that we should drink more water and sometimes it can feel quite a task. But, just think of all the other benefits to drinking enough water – clearer skin, less headaches, healthier organs etc. If it could also help us to maintain our weight loss then we should go for it! After wls we are told not to eat and drink at the same time anyway so, in theory, we should find this advice easier to follow than most people.

There was this on Twitter too…

Eat Healthily For A Good Heart, Say Experts

Again, not necessarily advice for losing weight, but having a healthier, more efficient heart can only help us to live longer. Not everything about wls is how we look but it is everything about how we feel ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media