Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Protein

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    luckyflower

Hi welcome smitdava, well done on weight loss. Can’t really help with protein thing but sure someone will. The dietitian did say about adding powder milk to help with protein but seems you already do that. will follow this thread with interest. There are some cooks on here they may have alternatives.

ruby tuesday

Thanks smitdava for the update, so much easier to understand what people are going through when you know what they are eating etc. Most people struggle with the tougher meats I understand, and some cannot tolerate any, so you are doing well to be able to eat what you can. Be careful with re-heating in the microwave if it is meat based, because as I learn’t to my cost, it dries meat out, and you need to be able to add extra gravy to allow it to go down ok.

Here too, some people sprinkle milk powder granules (called Marvel over here) on lots of meals or add to milk drinks for extra protein – havn’t tried that myself as it is early days for me, and milk is often a bit difficult for me to digest anyway. Do you manage a couple of snacks a day too? We are told 3 main (obviously small!) meals daily, and 2 little snacks, and I have pate on a couple of tiny pieces of melba toast, or a smooth peanut butter on the same (supposed to find a no-sugar one, but I couldn’t so just use a little). These are both good for extra protein.

We do have to take vitamin supplements here, just not usual to be told to have protein shakes, I think as I said before, because our surgeons want us to build up to getting adequate nutrition from proper food, but I know they are a big thing in the States. You could always make your own yoghurt smoothies, just adding fruit for the sweetness?

You are further along the line than me, but I know from everyone, the pouch does regularly dislike something out of the blue that it has been fine with before, so don’t worry if that is happening, just keep trying different foods, preferably natural not processed, to make sure your diet expands, this is the best way to end up at a good balanced diet. If you start getting sick, it can be a good idea to go back to the initial stages of soups, yoghurts etc. to allow the pouch to recover. Could you have a small salad for lunch, some shredded chicken, ham or tuna, dressing if you like it, couple of new potatoes? Maybe a small yoghurt as a snack (low or no sugar). I know it takes time before we can eat salad, and I gather rice and pasta can be difficult for some, but they are good bases for lunch too.

Sorry the dietician is not much help, could you ask to see a different one, because nutrition is crucial. best wishes

Ruby

Pinkdancer

Hi

I agree with everything Rusy has said.

Maybe you could put up a food diary of a typical days so that we can see if we have any suggestions that may help.

Also are you just mentally concerned about it? Have you had your bloods done to ensure your levels are ok? As I think that sometimes we get so conditioned into wanting to do the right thing, when actually we are doing ok, such a massive learning curve for us all, but great we are all here to help.

Also yes sometimes you have something one day and the next day it is a complete no no!! Weird but everyone finds the same but it does get better in time and as things and your body settle down to it’s new way of life.

You are doing fantastically well so keep up the good work .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@smitdava 19375 wrote:

As I am the foreigner I will do my best to convert my weights to stones or any other conversion to make my posts easier on everyone else

We do stones/pounds or Kgs here! daft really.

Hi there

I’m 3 yrs post bypass and have become vegetarian after surgery. I get most of my protein from pulses, nuts and cheese/dairy (low fat) plus I take a good quality multi-vitamin/mineral supplement daily. My iron levels have never been better so meat doesn’t always have to be the answer.

I also sprinkle dried skim milk powder over my food to add extra protein. Just the way I cope with it. It works for me anyway so you could think about it?!

Hope you soon sort it out. I’ve lost 210lbs 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media