Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Protein

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    JennyLeanne

Hi, i had my surgery done 9 weeks ago and i am really struggling to eat meat. It all seems to be making me sick at the moment so i am struggling to get in all my protein.

I am fine eggs and cheese but i dont really like fish either but i can eat some! lol I am a very fussy eater which isnt helping!

I wondered if anyone had any suggestions for dinners as i am finding it hard to think what to eat thats high in protein!

Any ideas would be a great help?! 🙂

Anonymous

Nuts are high in protien… But in my case a bit of canabalism….. I am nuts.
    Most dairy products will offer high protien their are many types of cheese.

Otherwise protien drinks might help until your able to manage food naturaly.
    Its early stages and it will get better…..

Buzz x

SJ

You could try lentils, beans, chick peas, pulses etc. Add them to soups etc, they are good for protein. Soya is another excellent source as is tofu (soya bean curd). Try slowly cooking meats to make them more tender, that might help. Protein shakes can be good, and nuts are fab! Like Buzz, I think I must be one too, I eat SO many!

Some use marvel as well to up the protein…

Take your time with meat, it might get easier with time, you are still only a newbie…

SJ

JennyLeanne

@Buzz 13686 wrote:

Nuts are high in protien… But in my case a bit of canabalism….. I am nuts.
    Most dairy products will offer high protien their are many types of cheese.

Otherwise protien drinks might help until your able to manage food naturaly.
    Its early stages and it will get better…..

Buzz x

Thanks hun, i will try nuts then!! lol I do eat quite a bit of cheese but im getting a bit bored of having cheese all the time!! 🙂

JennyLeanne

@SJ 13688 wrote:

You could try lentils, beans, chick peas, pulses etc. Add them to soups etc, they are good for protein. Soya is another excellent source as is tofu (soya bean curd). Try slowly cooking meats to make them more tender, that might help. Protein shakes can be good, and nuts are fab! Like Buzz, I think I must be one too, I eat SO many!

Some use marvel as well to up the protein…

Take your time with meat, it might get easier with time, you are still only a newbie…

SJ

Thanks for your advice, im not really keen on lentils and beans etc yuk lol but i will try slow cooking some meat and see if thats any better and i will try some nuts as you both say!! lol Thanks 🙂

Ms Ellie

Baked beans!

Anonymous

6 almonds have more protein in them than chicken does!! plus Milk is good.

JennyLeanne

@Ms Ellie 13706 wrote:

Baked beans!

I dont like baked beans either lol 🙁 told you i was a nightmare!! lol

JennyLeanne

@kimstreak 13721 wrote:

6 almonds have more protein in them than chicken does!! plus Milk is good.

Really??!! I like Almonds so will def get some of them, thanks Kim 🙂

smitdava

Hello, I’m new on here… I am a little more than 2 months post op now and I’m down 120lbs… I lost 60 pre op and I’ve lost another 60 lbs since the surgery… I’m still having issues getting my daily protein everyday… My dr wants me consuming 80 grams per day and even with the protein shakes I tend to fall a bit shy… When I do hit my 80 gram mark it feels like I did nothing but eat all day to get there… I don’t want to risk over eating and stretching my stomach out to fast just to get my protein… Any ideas or advice?

smitdava

I’m still making sure to portion everything out properly but it just feels like I can’t eat enough to get my protein levels right

ruby tuesday

Hi, and welcome, not sure what to say to be helpful, as you seem to be quite switched on about what you need to do, and it is very hard I find to get the protein in. You don’t say what you eat, so I am not sure what forms of protein you are able to manage so far out of the options of; meat, fish, eggs, dairy, nuts and pulses? Are you managing solid foods, can you digest meat or fish yet, as I understand that for a lot of people that happens further down the line and now might be a bit early?

Also, please say where you are based, because you mention protein drinks, which makes me wonder if you are in the USA, as they are not generally recommended here in the UK, in order I think to ensure we learn to make protein rich meals we can digest.

Do you have a dietician available through your surgical provider, because they are really your best person to ask, especially if you go to the appointment with a food diary, listing what you do eat and when, as they can make appropriate suggestion that will be specifically tailored to your needs.

Look forward to hearing from you, and best wishes.
    Very well done on your weight loss!

smitdava

Yes I’m in the US… I am able to eat some meats.. I’m still not able to eat beef or pork yet(I haven’t in almost a year though so it really doesn’t bother me). My basic diet consists of egg or egg substitute for breakfast generally 1 egg or 2 ounces of the substitute with some fresh fruit and then after I’ve waited long enough a cup of decaf coffee with a serving of powder milk for the extra protein… Where I have the most trouble though is lunch… I don’t get an actual lunch break so I have to try and have something quick. Usually tuna or left over chicken from the night b4… I tried to do leftover salmon once but it just doesn’t reheat well… I get a serving of vegetables at lunch too… Can I ask y it is not recommended to take a protein supplement? And I do see the dietician monthly but it seems she doesn’t have a lot of helpful information… The best thing she has recommended is adding powder milk in with my protein to get the extra 8 grams of protein… It’s helped makes a terrible protein shake even worse

smitdava

And as for the dairy, my body is very weird now… It seems to pick and choose at random what dairy I can and can’t have without getting sick… Right now I can have powder milk but regular milk makes me sick, yellow cheese but white turns my stomach, it’s just really touchy right now…

smitdava

As I am the foreigner I will do my best to convert my weights to stones or any other conversion to make my posts easier on everyone else

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media