Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Protein: FAQ

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Precious

Can anyone advise me on how many grammes of protein a day is suggested to maintain a healthty diet?

Claire

Hey Precious

I think you need to check with the dietician. A normal person should be aiming for somewhere around 55g a day I think…. because of the malabsorbtion with the bypass I think you need to aim higher than that and go for around 70-80, but as I said, do double check…

It’s still really early days for you to be worrying too much about it. Just concentrate on making sure that what you eat is good nutritionally, focussing more on the lean protein, keep your fluids up and you should be fine. When you go for your 6 week check up you can check then.

Take care
    xxxx

carolthecook

I was told to aim for 70 g by the dietician and in all the literature I have read they say pretty much the same. It is hard to achieve this in the early days and, as Claire said, just do your best and make sure that anything you put in your mouth is nutritionally good. Eat protein first, then vegetables or fruit then the carbs on your plate to maximise protein intake. If I think I am falling short I tend to have a protein drink or stir some unflavoured protein isolate powder into the food if it is compatible e.g. in a soup, casserole etc. Toni Rousso also says to add some extra dried milk powder to help with this in drinks too. Hope this helps Precious. Carol x

Precious

Claire/Carol
    Thanks very much for that info, at least I can keep that in mind now. I am still not great with the food intake, always thinking protein, but I am not pureeing the food any more, I am just mashing it or chewing it to a pulp. I have found sardines and i make sure bones are out mash them up and try and eat those, high in protein. Its so difficult, I just never know what to eat, I think the fact I am not eating properly is slowing down my weight loss.
    Thanks for the info its really helpful. xx precious xx

Precious

Can anyone advise me what protein drink I can take. Hubbie has picked me up a milkshake called;
    Sci-Mx 100% Whey Protein.

Nutritional information per 100g;

Energy 389kcal
    protein 78g
    carbohydrates 4.42g
    of which sugars —
    Fat 3.5g
    of which saturates 2g
    fibre –
    sodium 838mg

Does this sound any good ?????

Any comments would help please 🙂 Thankyou

Claire

Hi Precious hun :hug:

There are lots of different protein drinks around… not sure how much you have in one go of the one you’ve put there but it sounds very high in protein and cals for one serving… you need to be looking for whey protein really.

The ones I use regularly (I can’t eat before lunchtime as my restriction is too tight in the morning, so have a protein drink every morning) is either Nectar, which comes in loads of different fruit flavours, or I get the pro-shots which are ready mixed and are great to just grab and go if I’m in a hurry before work.

I’ve heard that the body can’t absorb more than about 30g of protein in one sitting, so there’s no point in paying extra to get anything with a higher protein content than 30g per serving…

If you want to know where I get mine, drop me a pm.:dance:

xxx

SJ

I can’t tolerate most protein drinks as they contain whey or soya, so I have pea protein. It is a powder, doesn’t taste of a lot and can be mixed as a shake or put in yoghurt etc…

SJ

solucky

Precious,

On the dietician hand out it states that we shouldn’t have replacement meals like slim fast or protein drinks, so not sure hun on this one. xx

Claire

@solucky 4732 wrote:

Precious,

On the dietician hand out it states that we shouldn’t have replacement meals like slim fast or protein drinks, so not sure hun on this one. xx

Hi Solucky

The dieticians prefer us to get our protein from food – this is always preferable to getting it from supplements. However, for some of us, it’s not always possible due to the restrictions of our new diets.

xxx

Ms Jainney

Hi precious

Just got some Whey protein mix from holland and barrats Love this stuff as mix with semi skimmed milk to make a smoothie and can even add a banana or other fruits to make it more interesting in Choc and Vanilla flavours… NO sugars … but it also has lots of vitamins and minerals so helps there too!! and everything is buy 1 get 1 half price right now. Great for breakfast when you dont like to eat in morning!

Jainney
    x x x

carolthecook

Like Claire I use the Nectar brand and have tried just about all of the flavours. The Fuzzy Navel flavour is fantastic…the others can be a bit sweet tasting for my palate but make a fabulous ice cream (and the sweetness is subdued to the lower serving temperature – capuccino is particularly good as an ice). I mix 2 scoops Nectar with 250 ml skimmed or semi-skimmed milk and then pop it in my ice cream maker and its lovely. Makes about 4 wls portions. If you don’t want milk then just add water for a sorbet or water ice. I have tried doing the same with 1 scoop flavourless whey protein and 250 ml low-fat yogurt and it works well too. If you don’t have an ice cream maker then just freeze and whisk once or twice whilst freezing to break down any large ice crystals. If frozen solid get out of the freezer about 30 minutes before serving to soften a little – makes it easier to scoop.
    ENJOY!

Lolli

Oooh, ok, now that sounds really nice and a fab idea…with the best will in the world I know I am never going to get in 70g a day without looking into this too!
    :peep: Let the investigations begin!

Lolli xx

solucky

Claire thanks for letting me know on this, it sounds an ideal solution and with all the other posts there’s loads of ways to enjoy it too. If we have this, does it mean we shoukd cut down on meat? Sorry for the ignorance but I didn’t realise this was an alternative. xx

SJ

So Lucky, protein shakes are really for use when you cannot get enough protein from your food. So it’s not really an alternative, but an emergency back-up. Some dieticians say its good to have these, others not, I have been told both at St Richards…

It is hard to get anywhere near the 70g per day for some early rny-er’s, but many manage fine. In fact there are some who think we should aim for a minimum of 100g protein per day, but that is way beyond me!

If you are worried, speak to your dietician about your daily intake to see if a protein shake might be helpful to you…
    x

Claire

@SJ 4759 wrote:

So Lucky, protein shakes are really for use when you cannot get enough protein from your food. So it’s not really an alternative, but an emergency back-up. Some dieticians say its good to have these, others not, I have been told both at St Richards…

It is hard to get anywhere near the 70g per day for some early rny-er’s, but many manage fine. In fact there are some who think we should aim for a minimum of 100g protein per day, but that is way beyond me!

If you are worried, speak to your dietician about your daily intake to see if a protein shake might be helpful to you…
    x

Absolutely agree with SJ – the shakes are a supplement, not an alternative. Never use them to cut down on your food – if you can get your protein from meat, fish, beans, pulses and dairy then that’s always preferable to the shakes, but if you struggle, then the shakes are a good way to make up the numbers.
    xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media